WHITE RICE

Options
sebedina
sebedina Posts: 161 Member
How unhealty is it?

I've noticed a link between me eating white rice and binge eating/craving sugar and carbs.

I had a large portion of white rice for lunch on sunday and now I am all over the place, I am out of control and can't stick to calories as last night kept wanting to each carbohydrates/biscuits and chocolate.

Is "white rice" and "white pasta" not "clean eating"?? I need to adjust my eating if I want to lose weight, ive realised I cant stick to calories when this sort of thing happens. Quite depressed now...

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    apparently, it is garbage,
    I still like it, I bought brown
    then couscous and quinou
    then stir fried veggies in them, they were good and better for you,
  • thugstrife
    thugstrife Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    It is very "carby", and it sounds like you have a hard time with carbs and/or sugar and/or insulin based on what it sounds like you are experiencing. So even though it is a clean food, it does not sound like it is a good option for you personally.

White rice nutrition: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5712/2
  • bakingforlife
    bakingforlife Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    The more sugar you eat the more you want !!'' Thats just how it works i think ,for sure with me anyway. ...i would also ditto the other posters ideas ,i havent eatin white anything in so long i cant remember .but i would say about 20 years .
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    The nutrients in white rice are more bioavailable
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    How unhealty is it?

I've noticed a link between me eating white rice and binge eating/craving sugar and carbs.

I had a large portion of white rice for lunch on sunday and now I am all over the place, I am out of control and can't stick to calories as last night kept wanting to each carbohydrates/biscuits and chocolate.

Is "white rice" and "white pasta" not "clean eating"?? I need to adjust my eating if I want to lose weight, ive realised I cant stick to calories when this sort of thing happens. Quite depressed now...

White rice is stripped of it's husk and it basically acts like a simple carb. That might explain the cravings you feel after you've eaten it. If you like rice I suggest mixing brown rice with it and see how you feel. Then possibly going 100% brown rice. Brown rice should digest more slowly and "shouldn't" cause the carb cravings you experience.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    White rice is stripped of it's husk and it basically acts like a simple carb.

no
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

no
    http://butterbeliever.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice-which-is-healthy/
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

no

I hate to break this to you, but your link that contradicts what you just said.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

no

I hate to break this to you, but your link that contradicts what you just said.

"Brown rice is brown because it’s got the bran on it. White rice is just rice with the bran and germ removed"

Because "no" was so descriptive of what you were addressing. Perhaps it was the simple carb comment.

If the article says something diff in general about the health benefits of white/brown so be it. Can only help the OP correct?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    you said: "White rice...basically acts like a simple carb."

you link says: "So, what are we left with...? The endosperm. Which is essentially pure starch."
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

you link says: "So, what are we left with...? The endosperm. Which is essentially pure starch."

This is what you quoted:
    White rice is stripped of it's husk and it basically acts like a simple carb

Two statements from which your reply was "no".

Link also says this:
    It’s a great source of quick, easily digestible glucose

Which might explain why the OP tended to overeat again?
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

This is what you quoted:

Link also says this:

Starch is a complex carb, not a simple carb. If the fact that the body converts it to glucose to be used for energy makes it "basically like a simple carbs," then by that definition virtually every carbohydrate source is equivalent to a simple carb.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

This is what you quoted:

Link also says this:

Starch is a complex carb, not a simple carb. If the fact that the body converts it to glucose to be used for energy makes it "basically like a simple carbs," then by that definition virtually every carbohydrate source is equivalent to a simple carb.

The article states this that implies it digests quickly

"It’s a great source of quick, easily digestible glucose"

I assume it's in the context of brown vs white rice
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options

This is what you quoted:

Link also says this:

Implications & assumptions from an source that fails to substantiate it's claims =/= fact
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

This is what you quoted:

Link also says this:

Implications & assumptions from an source that fails to substantiate it's claims =/= fact

I'm confused. You were citing statements from the article that you said "was the opposite" of what I was saying (I'll assume you were taking the article's information as correct). Then you state the article is incorrect.

It appears that you feel some of the article is correct and some is incorrect. Perhaps for the benefit of the OP's knowledge, you can highlight the correct and incorrect information for him/her
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    I'm confused. You were citing statements from the article that you said "was the opposite" of what I was saying (I'll assume you were taking the article's information as correct). Then you state the article is incorrect.

It appears that you feel some of the article is correct and some is incorrect. Perhaps for the benefit of the OP's knowledge, you can highlight the correct and incorrect information for him/her

The article itself looks mostly correct, I haven't read it in enough detail to say for sure. Your assumptions about what the article said were wrong.

As far as the answering the OP's original question, nobody here has enough information to say why the OP is craving snacks 24 hours after eating a "large portion" of white rice.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

The article itself looks mostly correct, I haven't read it in enough detail to say for sure. Your assumptions about what the article said were wrong.

As far as the answering the OP's original question, nobody here has enough information to say why the OP is craving snacks 24 hours after eating a "large portion" of white rice.

I posted the article and quoted what I wanted from it. ie...White rice is just rice with the bran and germ removed. Because you said "no" to two statements you quoted.

Actually the OP had 3 questions:

1) White rice. How unhealthy is it?
    2) I assume she wants some type of affirmation of her theory about eating white rice and it causing additional hunger later
    3) Is white rice and pasta not clean eating?
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    do you agree with this?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/411425-how-is-white-rice-healthy-for-our-body/
    Health Risks

Refined white rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, meaning it breaks down into glucose much more quickly after being eaten than brown rice. Foods with a high glycemic index can increase the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, according to the Harvard School of Public Health. Brown rice takes longer to break down because it contains more fiber. A Harvard study showed that eating five or more helpings of white rice per week increased the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by 17 percent, while those who ate two servings of brown rice per week reduced their risk by 11 percent.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Options
    do you agree with this?

http://www.livestrong.com/article/411425-how-is-white-rice-healthy-for-our-body/
    Health Risks

Refined white rice has a higher glycemic index than brown rice, meaning it breaks down into glucose much more quickly after being eaten than brown rice. Foods with a high glycemic index can increase the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, according to the Harvard School of Public Health. Brown rice takes longer to break down because it contains more fiber. A Harvard study showed that eating five or more helpings of white rice per week increased the risk of developing Type 2 diabetes by 17 percent, while those who ate two servings of brown rice per week reduced their risk by 11 percent.

Lacks context. For one, GI is only relevant for diabetics.

Also, GI is measured when you eat food in isolation, in a fasted state. Raise your hand if you're eating your rice with nothing else, after an overnight fast.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I should have just quoted this:

"meaning it breaks down into glucose much more quickly after being eaten than brown rice."

Is that statement correct/incorrect? (regardless of how it's rated for GI)