% or grams (new so sorry if asked before)

Options
Sara3434
Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
Hi I'm Sara new here (waves ) been trying keto/low carb (not sure where I fit) since Jan this year but still not sure if I should be tracking macros by percentage or grams? I seem to be in line when it comes the % but then I look at grams and protein is usually always higher than fats. My settings are 5%Carb 65%fats 30%protein

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    The % converts into grams for managing it in MFP. I set mine up with % and then track the grams.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I track grams. Each person has to find what fits for them and grams has worked best for me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Use grams. % will make everything vary depending on calorie intake.
    Use fixed numbers.
    Carbs as a limit.
    Protein as a goal to be reached based on your lean mass and activity level.
    Fat to fill in and up to satiety.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Use fixed numbers.
    Carbs as a limit.

This is a better description of what I do. I used the percentages to set up the initial goals.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Use fixed numbers.
    Carbs as a limit.

IMO, if looking to be keto, start below 20 g carbs total and protein around 1.5 g per kg of ideal body weight. That will almost definitely get you there. From there, you can experiment with what your personal limits are. Both of these are on the low end.

The more metabolically healthy you are and the more active you are, the more both carbs and protein can be increased. You are generally safer raising protein than carbs, though.

If you are just going for low carb and not intending to be keto, anything below 150 carbs is considered as low carb, but I think most here would say that should really be below 100 grams. Protein then gets a little looser as well.

Either way, you do want to get the minimum of protein. Studies generally agree you need at least 0.8 grams per kg of lean body mass for a sedentary person. Again, increased activity increases need.

With all that said, there is no such thing as a one size fits all. The biggest question is WHY you are doing this. If it is to control diabetes or blood sugar, then keto is likely the best option and use total carbs and not net carbs.

If you are metabolically healthy but just have some extra weight to lose, you can be quite successful just being low carb and counting net carbs. IMO, only subtract fiber in this calculation and not sugar alcohols. Some will subtract sugar alcohols, but there is plenty of research showing they affect both blood glucose and insulin levels - not as much as sugar necessarily, but they do affect them.

Lastly, stick to real food. If you look at the package of so called low carb food and the ingredient list is a bunch of unpronounceable chemicals (like Atkins bars), stay away. Those are just low carb junk food that are not much better than the high carb junk food.

There are many other reasons to try this WOE. I would suggest you peruse the launch pad to get a broader view of those reasons and info on the ones most relevant to you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Welcome and good luck reaching your goals.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Use fixed numbers.
    Carbs as a limit.

IMO, if looking to be keto, start below 20 g carbs total and protein around 1.5 g per kg of ideal body weight. That will almost definitely get you there. From there, you can experiment with what your personal limits are. Both of these are on the low end.

The more metabolically healthy you are and the more active you are, the more both carbs and protein can be increased. You are generally safer raising protein than carbs, though.

If you are just going for low carb and not intending to be keto, anything below 150 carbs is considered as low carb, but I think most here would say that should really be below 100 grams. Protein then gets a little looser as well.

Either way, you do want to get the minimum of protein. Studies generally agree you need at least 0.8 grams per kg of lean body mass for a sedentary person. Again, increased activity increases need.

With all that said, there is no such thing as a one size fits all. The biggest question is WHY you are doing this. If it is to control diabetes or blood sugar, then keto is likely the best option and use total carbs and not net carbs.

If you are metabolically healthy but just have some extra weight to lose, you can be quite successful just being low carb and counting net carbs. IMO, only subtract fiber in this calculation and not sugar alcohols. Some will subtract sugar alcohols, but there is plenty of research showing they affect both blood glucose and insulin levels - not as much as sugar necessarily, but they do affect them.

Lastly, stick to real food. If you look at the package of so called low carb food and the ingredient list is a bunch of unpronounceable chemicals (like Atkins bars), stay away. Those are just low carb junk food that are not much better than the high carb junk food.

There are many other reasons to try this WOE. I would suggest you peruse the launch pad to get a broader view of those reasons and info on the ones most relevant to you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Welcome and good luck reaching your goals.

<3
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I set a percentage here for tracking (5%) but only pay attention to grams (20-30 net).
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I do both. I have my max grams of carbs that I watch and a min grams of protein. I use the percentage to 'fill in' the rest of my decisions on what to eat.
    Everyone has their own way ....
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Always grams. You can eat 5%/20%/75% of 4000 calories and you won't lose weight.