Hungry feeling before weight loss..

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
Been on keto for a few weeks now, lost 8lbs in the first 2 weeks. Nothing since. I haven't had a hunger pang since a few days after I started. I'm having huge ones now. I read online that you should ignore it and eat when the feeling subsides? Because the body is about to drop a couple lbs. Anyone know about this.?

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not one to agree with that and this may not apply to you. Too many relish those days they are not hungry and eat a minimal amount of food and applaud themselves. Then, when the hunger really hits because they have not been feeding/nourishing their body they seem to thing they should ignore the hunger and willpower themselves through it.

I see no sense in that. Sorry if it just appears to be a rant. It kinda is. If it is true hunger, eat. Especially if you have been in a fairly steep deficit recently.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    My theory on not eating is that if you can drink a glass of water and within 30 minutes, the pangs are gone, it wasn't true hunger, but I firmly agree with @kpk54 - if you are truly hungry, eat.

To me, that is like telling a crying baby you won't pick it up. It's disordered and won't accomplish your goals. If you've ruled out boredom, stress, and emotional eating - and you're hungry, truly, eat. Anything else will likely confuse your metabolism - and not in the good way.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    The human body is constantly adjusting, adapting, figuring out what the literal *kitten* is going on. In my experience, what worked 3 weeks previously rarely works exactly the same way 3 weeks later. You'll need to always make some adjustments to what you're eating doing as you continue your health journey.

If you're truly hungry, and it's not what @KnitOrMiss identified, eat. Make smart choices with your food, look for things that will satiate you and eat them.

By way of example: last night I was in a total *kitten* of a mood. Like horrific. Had a dull headache, was tired. Already had 6,000mg of sodium for the day, drank an *kitten*load of water, had eaten a good dinner (that I liked) and I kept looking for carbs. Like, an easter egg hunt in my own house. Literally LOOKING for them. So, I had some chocolate chips. I don't ever eat those. Was super surprised I had them frankly. Not sure how old they were. Ate two servings and felt a hell of a lot better. Was it mental? Who knows. Was it physical? I don't really care. I tried all the things i knew to do, when None of the usual things worked to make me feel better I listened to what my body was asking for, gave it an appropriate amount of what it wanted and it shut the hell up and I went to bed. :sunglasses:
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I ate enough yesterday, I actually went over the calories I try to stick by. I'm usually not hungry in the morning, so it's just weird. My stomach was full on growling. I had a coffee and it went away. I ate chicken Caesar salad for lunch yesterday and bacon and sausages for supper
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not linear and will not be the same every single day. You might eat 500 cals over one day, 200 under another day, 100 under, 200 over, and so on and so forth. You cannot be identical in sleep, stress, workouts, food, etc., every single day, so it is logical to acknowledge calories needs can't be identical, either. Calorie deficits are best looked at in a 7-14 day average. It accounts for hungrier and less hungry days in a cycle.

@baconslave coined a fabulous statement by saying that daily weigh in charts look like an "EKG for a cracked out Kangaroo." They go up and down, and calories do too. Remember than just by the nature of calories, there is up to a 20% error just in labeling and body usage without extensive biotmetric tests. The main function of low carbing is that patience is crucial to success. As long as you feel better overall, the scale will catch up eventually.

Many folks lose the initial weight, then it might take 7, 14, 30, 45, 60 days to start regular scale losses again. This is where measurements and pictures are critical to measuring success. More often than not, when my scale didn't move, I lost inches, and when the scale moved, my inches did not. So to get a whole picture, it's important to have multiple measures. @Sunny_Bunny_ has not had the scale move in a year but has had dramatic shifts in body recomposition.

All of these things definitely require us to constantly adjust our thinking and evaluations...

Good luck!