Lchf side dish recipes needed!

Options
I need some ideas for lchf side dishes.
I recently switched to the keto diet and now I'm having a hard time coming up with ideas for what to have as a side with my dinner and lunches. I do a lot of ground beef and pork, salmon, steak, pork chops as the main dishes.
Most of my go-to sides are a no go now. Mashed potatoes, mac n cheese etc.

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Spinach leaf, romaine lettuce with bacon bits. Grape tomato.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing ever is cheesy broccoli or cauliflower:

Chop up a head (florets) of cauliflower or 2 crowns of broccoli (roughly)
    1/2 cup Mayo
    1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
    Salt, Pepper, garlic powder, onion powder to taste

mix all together in large bowl, place on baking sheet and roast at 375 for about 30 min or until fork tender and browned.

I also love baby wilted kale:

Olive oil in pan then add sliced garlic.
    Couple big handfuls of baby kale in pan
    tend to till wilted (takes only a moment or two)
    salt to taste
    splash of red wine vinegar then serve quickly.

Making creamed spinach is a nice side also and there are lots of recipes online.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Pickles, olives, zucchini, summer squash, kale, spinach, cauliflower (roasted is my fav way to eat that now), broccoli, celery stuffed with guacamole or almond butter, the launchpad has some great recipe links, many sites let you select side dish. Good luck.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Even if I weren't LCHF, I wouldn't eat low fat anything. Its a chemical chit storm that I won't put in my body and it doesn't taste good.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    For super easy, just smother broccoli with cheese (and crumbled bacon if you have it).
  • domingoestradajr
    domingoestradajr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I did make a cheesy broccoli and cauliflower bake last night that turned out pretty tasty. I'll have to find more ways to make cauliflower i guess!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Any fresh vegetable will do. Tonight will be cabbage/onions sauteed in oil with some salt and pepper.

I cook every night but find a joy to eating keto can be the simplicity of the food. It was all those "seductive" foods I previously made and overate that caused me to become overweight. Meat, vegetables and some fats. A little dairy and some eggs. That's all I need.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    cauliflower can be your friend. Mashed cauliflower done right is great. If you have more time, give this a try as it has gone over well for me at multiple events where I was the only LC person there:

c2vlc90vpds2.png

You can find a ton of other cauliflower recipes, but I think these two are the best given what you said were your previous choices.

Edit to note, I do NOT use low fat anything when I make this. Full fat all the way!

Thanks for sharing; this looks delicious. I just made a "Mexican" version with jalapeno cheese because I needed to use it up. I wish I had some chorizo to crumble on top!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    bametels wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    cauliflower can be your friend. Mashed cauliflower done right is great. If you have more time, give this a try as it has gone over well for me at multiple events where I was the only LC person there:

c2vlc90vpds2.png

You can find a ton of other cauliflower recipes, but I think these two are the best given what you said were your previous choices.

Edit to note, I do NOT use low fat anything when I make this. Full fat all the way!

Thanks for sharing; this looks delicious. I just made a "Mexican" version with jalapeno cheese because I needed to use it up. I wish I had some chorizo to crumble on top!

I put jalapeño in most things I make, so I guess I make everything as a "Mexican" version. I like chorizo, but, for my goals, I have to be careful of the carb content of what I can find in stores.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    @cstehansen [/quote] I put jalapeño in most things I make, so I guess I make everything as a "Mexican" version. I like chorizo, but, for my goals, I have to be careful of the carb content of what I can find in stores.[/quote]

I'm a big fan of spicy food, so while not everything I make is Mexican-inspired, I liberally use all kinds of peppers and fiery spice blends.

Good point about chorizo. Honestly, I don't eat it that often and don't recall what the carb count. I guess I better check it out before my next purchase.

If I make a Mexican-inspired version of this again, I would make some changes. It was too sweet; I'm guessing from the cream cheese. I would probably add queso fresco, which I love. It would not be as creamy but that would not bother me. I would also add chopped peppers (jalapeno and/or poblano) even if I use jalapeno cheese again to up the heat factor.

• rckc1
    rckc1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE the sauce these are in, you could use it on any veggie...http://peaceloveandlowcarb.com/skillet-roasted-bacon-brussels-sprouts-with-garlic-parmesan-cream-sauce/
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Bacon wrapped asparagus, Avocado salad, cauli-rice, creamed spinach, bacon....bacon....um....bacon....
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'm kinda with kpk on the simplicity thing.

Man there's nothing tastier to me than an avocado with salt, pepper, and a splash of apple cider vinegar.
    BLAT salad is a go to for me, particularly one fortified with feta crumbles.
    Roasted brussels or cauliflower or sauteed kailan or bok choi tossed in bacon fat.
    Spanish riced cauliflower.

I've been going through the recipes thread and yesterday I saw a post someone made a couple of years ago with scrambled eggs with a side of hard boiled eggs. Not that that helps you in any way, Domingo, but I laughed and laughed.

Also, at $3 for a Kindle copy I didn't figure I could argue with "bacon and butter", so I picked this book up recently, though I haven't read much of it yet. And there are several other super cheap keto cookbooks available in the Kindle format.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I love all the following. I can provide more specifics on the recipes if needed (send me a message in case I don't see your questions).

-Roasted Cauliflour (in avocado mayo, touch of Dijon mustard and s&p)
    -Roasted Beets (can be a bit messy to peel after roasting but are SOOOOO good - coat in oil and s&p)
    -Roasted asparagus (oil, s&p)
    -Roasted brussle sourts (oil, s&p)
    -Steamed broccoli
    -Roasted summer squash (oil, s&p)
    -Side salad
    -Cabbage! (chop it up, throw in some garlic, onions, even bacon) - so yummy

When I'm looking for something inspiring (I like to do something new and cool once or twice a week to keep my appreciation for this WOE) - I google Paleo and Keto recopies. I've become a much better cook and have started tweaking recopies I find. It makes eating healthy so much more fun when I'm invested in making things taste good and being creative with it. I do food prep though too with basic meals. Too busy between work and training to do stuff every day lol.
  • domingoestradajr
    domingoestradajr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks, you guys are awesome. I'm gonna get these ideas written down before I hit the grocery store.

Also if anyone is adding their recipes to mfp then feel free to friend me so I can steal them ;)
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Creamed spinach. I steam a bag of frozen chopped spinach. Add 1/4 block cream cheese and a 1/4 cup of sour cream. Throw in a little garlic powder, cook on medium until it all mixes together.

I also purchased a spiralizer and I made zoodles from zucchini. So far I've just made them sautéed in butter with some garlic and Parmesan but I'm sure there's plenty of other ways to make flavor them!
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Your getting alot of ideas, but its simple. Your sides will be a non starchy vegetable and fat. Spinach/butter. Brocolli/Cheese or a thousand other variations. Mine is salad with full fat dressing.