Down 38kg (86lb) & now I get high BP????

Options
SuesNewImage
SuesNewImage Posts: 743 Member
22 months ago I started LCHF by 1st quitting sugar, then 8 weeks later watching all carbs. I was down 80lb in just 12 months & only 6lb in last 10 months. Yes I havnt been as strikt with LC being about 60g a day. It is still LC but obviously not enough to keep up with weight loss. Im very aware of what I am doing & would love to be further but mentally needed this break.

Now this week I went to Dr as feeling foggy....for the 1st time in my life I have high blood pressure. This dosnt make sence. I loose weight then get BP problems. I dont know if its salt. I used to have no added salt at all (when yoyoing with low fat diets for last 40 years- and failing I might add whilst I just piled on weight).

Has anyone else seen this? Lose a lot of weight & get high BP.

Replies

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    That is odd. I have never had HBP but it is even lower now since going LCHF. Perhaps there is something else going on that is transient. If it were me, I would do some checks at the grocery store monitor a few times to see if it remains high. Sometimes you can get a fluke high reading.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Could it be a bit of white-coat anxiety? As soon as a doctor takes my BP, it goes up. Not high but up. If I am worried about a health issue, it goes up more. If I take it at the drug store or at home, it drops like a rock to low or low normal levels.

Thyroid is normal?

I just doubt your high BP would be because of weight loss and LC. My guess is something else is up. It's just a guess though.

What is your normal BP, and how high did it go?
  • macybean
    macybean Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    First, you need more data. If it was elevated once in an office visit, that does not mean you have high blood pressure (HTN).

I didn't lose weight, but was at a healthy weight when I suddenly developed HTN (at the ripe old age of 29). It may be coincidence that it is now elevated. I wouldn't blame the diet at all.

I assume your doctor ran some labs to rule out other causes. Also, be sure you aren't taking anything that could be falsely elevating it. NSAIDS, cold medicines and some herbal medications (ginkgo, St John's Wort are a couple I know off the top of my head). Essential HTN is just something that happens to some of us, despite our efforts.

Be sure to get a BP cuff and check it yourself at home for a couple of weeks to see how it really runs (check in the am when you wake up and before bed). Don't panic if it's high, just check it twice a day and write it down.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I too ask how high was it and since you were at the doctor's office how did the doc respond or what did the doc suggest?

Both my husband and I have been on blood pressure medication. We're 63 and 65 years old. I was on for a short period of time (9 months) lost weight and weaned off meds under docs care. Later I started eating keto and BP has remained fine so long as I maintain a reasonable level of brisk walking.

My husband was on various BP meds for several years. He latched onto my habit of brisk walking and is now off BP meds with normal BP.

Obviously the idea of getting moderate exercise has worked for us though I know it does not work for all. Do you get any intentional exercise if you are relatively sedentary? Both of us have the habit of walking to our local grocery store or drug store...to check our BP.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    22 months ago I started LCHF by 1st quitting sugar, then 8 weeks later watching all carbs. I was down 80lb in just 12 months & only 6lb in last 10 months. Yes I havnt been as strikt with LC being about 60g a day. It is still LC but obviously not enough to keep up with weight loss. Im very aware of what I am doing & would love to be further but mentally needed this break.

Now this week I went to Dr as feeling foggy....for the 1st time in my life I have high blood pressure. This dosnt make sence. I loose weight then get BP problems. I dont know if its salt. I used to have no added salt at all (when yoyoing with low fat diets for last 40 years- and failing I might add whilst I just piled on weight).

Has anyone else seen this? Lose a lot of weight & get high BP.

Others have hit most of the high points. But also how is your stress level in general? When my DH first hit HBP numbers, he sorted out it was only when he was interacting with boss or when he had done a lot of exercise before going to the dr. We got him a home monitor and the picture became very clear, those are the only time he goes over the normal range, he tends to be on the lowish side of normal.

And a big congats on your awesome weight loss. Yea, YOU.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    my husband was able to get his bp down with vit C and lysine...might help
  • SuesNewImage
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Could it be a bit of white-coat anxiety? As soon as a doctor takes my BP, it goes up. Not high but up. If I am worried about a health issue, it goes up more. If I take it at the drug store or at home, it drops like a rock to low or low normal levels.

Thyroid is normal?

I just doubt your high BP would be because of weight loss and LC. My guess is something else is up. It's just a guess though.

my normal bp is 122/80 for years & years. 6 days ago was 190/110. im on meds for last 6 days & tested myself & at Dr. now 143/90 as average.
  • SuesNewImage
    Options
    thankyou everyone. im not in stress, actually too chilled out actually. Dr has done a CT scan, all clear & blood tests results coming today, & I had my eyes retested & examined, all clear. Have been getting BP tested daily at chemist to keep average - figures above
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »

Thyroid is normal?

my normal bp is 122/80 for years & years. 6 days ago was 190/110. im on meds for last 6 days & tested myself & at Dr. now 143/90 as average.

Wow. That's quite the jump it did.

If you have a blood pressure cuff, I would consider taking your BP a few times per day. Perhaps right when you wake up, after lunch and around dinner. Record your measurements. Perhaps there is a trend?

Has the doctor looked into what is actually causing it? Adrenal, thyroid or kidney issues? Too much salt, stress or alcohol, or not enough sleep?
  • SuesNewImage
    Options
    still going thru more tests.
    neck & thyroid untrasound, ecocardiogram to check heart valves.
    On Monday will wear a BP monitor for 24 hours, it takes & records BP every 30 mins & from midnight to 6am hourly. - lets see if i sleep.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Oh yuck. Good luck!

If you are able, let us know how it goes.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options

On Monday will wear a BP monitor for 24 hours, it takes & records BP every 30 mins & from midnight to 6am hourly. - lets see if i sleep.

That alone would make my BP high. Good luck.
  • SuesNewImage
    Options
    I have just woke up from a terrible nights sleep. BP monitor reading kept failing during night due to inflation error. I must have lent on tube or had it twisted. When it failed it tried again within 1 minute.. my arm is so sore from the constant pressure. Im now teary and fatigued.
    Had 2 eposides yesterday of sweats & dizzyness & the recordings at that time were very low BP.

Now waiting for Dr appointment to remove this torture tool in 2 hours.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have just woke up from a terrible nights sleep. BP monitor reading kept failing during night due to inflation error. I must have lent on tube or had it twisted. When it failed it tried again within 1 minute.. my arm is so sore from the constant pressure. Im now teary and fatigued.
    Had 2 eposides yesterday of sweats & dizzyness & the recordings at that time were very low BP.

Now waiting for Dr appointment to remove this torture tool in 2 hours.

Good luck.