Do you supplement?

Options
leveejohn
leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
3jw8jzq8a7e9.jpg

Here's mine: one multi, one enzyme, one probiotic, three fish oils, and two cinnamons. And of course two tablespoons of ACV every day.

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    I take a multi vitamin tab, a multi mineral tab, and a "move free" glucosimine-condroitin tab.

Also try to eat a large salad and get 128g of protein daily (will support with whey protein)

i usually try to eat fruit and a little whole grain daily.

i used to eat a lot of yogurt and am going to start that back up. It is good for gout and is low carb if you make your own (from what I've read). I do make my own.

i used to take ACV often but have gotten out of the habit.
  • dajoloehr
    dajoloehr Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    wj7x1ms4xwzf.jpg mine lol I suck at taking pills
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Options
  • KetoKaHee
    Options
    @leveejohn I need to find a good fish oil and multivitamin too!!
  • Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Just Fish oil, but looking at Animal Flex now. Probably going to pick it up tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes.
  • leveejohn
    Options
    On supplements: I have been burned twice with over the counter supplements: once with vitamin D., which I took religiously, then my bloodwork showed a vitamin D deficiency. I swapped to the doctor's recommendation, Maximum D3, and everything is fine.

I had a similar experience taking niacin to control cholesterol. Swapped from a prescription to an over the counter supplement that by the label had the exact same dosage, and cholesterol went out of control. I forgot to put Maximum D3 in the picture because I only take it once a week, and I'm happy to report I've been off cholesterol meds for the last year or so.

When I discussed this with a nutritionist, she recommended I stay with supplements showing the USP shield. Here's a list USP Verified Supplements

Now on fish oil. I had been taking stuff from off the shelf, and had the horrible fishy burps. I was advised by yet someone else that this was because the oil is rancid. Gross, right? I needed to buy fish oil from a store that kept it refrigerated. He suggested the brand I show above, Spectrum. No more fishy burps, it's fresh.

However, I've been taking this for a while, and bloodwork has yet to show the HDL benefits that I should be getting. Considering switching, there is this: Fish Oil Rankings but I don't know yet if it's reliable. Will probably swap to this NOW Fish Oil Ultra Omega 3 if I can order it fresh or buy it refrigerated.

I won't mention the store where I've been burned with useless vitamins and rancid oils, but it starts with a big W and has lots of happy faces :):):)
  • leveejohn
    Options
    @KetoKaHee the vitamin C really catches my eye. I've been going back and forth over the years between daily large doses of C (1000 mg or so), and leaving it alone and just relying on my multi-vitamin (which has 180 mg). I don't know what is best, that's why I keep flip-flopping.

Of all the vitamins, what has you taking C, and for that matter, D?
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
  • KetoKaHee
    Options
    @leveejohn I started taking Vitamin D because when I moved to Portland last year I was not used to the rain and gloomy weather. I was always getting sun in LA and the change started to affect my mood. It can be quite depressing. I really started feeling better after taking it. But if I lived in a sunny area I probably wouldn't.

As far as Vitamin C goes, I know that I'm not absorbing 1000 mg but would like to absorb as much as I can for all the benefits. For a while I didn't take any supplements because like you said, who knows if they are really "working" and there are a lot of companies who are adding fillers that aren't the best for our health.

It is one of the reason's why I haven't bought fish oil. I know it can get rancid and prefer to get my omega-3 from walnuts, wild caught salmon, cold pressed olive oil..etc. But if and when I do it will be refrigerated.

I know the brands I use aren't the best, but haven't taken the time to research more medical grade ones. Pluse they can be so expensive!!

• KetoKaHee
    Options
    @leveejohn by the way I've never seen cinnamon capsules before!! Very interesting. Cinnamon is awesome!
  • blambo61
    Options
    What do you all take cinnamon for besides taste?
  • leveejohn
    edited March 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    What do you all take cinnamon for besides taste?

From "The Obesity Code" by Jason Fung: "Cinnamon has been shown to slow gastric emptying and may help suppress hunger. It may also help lower blood sugars and therefore is useful in weight loss." He references this study: Effect of cinnamon on postprandial blood glucose, gastric emptying, and satiety in healthy subjects

He includes cinnamon in his top five natural appetite suppressants. The others are water, green tea, coffee, and chia seeds.
  • blambo61
    Options
    I do remember reading that now. Thanks
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I take vitamin D, HTP-5
    and i try to include flaxseeds and fenugreek seeds into my diet
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion. Especially @leveejohn where your blood work showed that your D3 supplements were not doing their job. I'm taking D3 and B12, both in over-the-counter forms, on Dr. orders. I'm going to ask for new blood work on my next visit, to see if my supplements are working.