Levoxyl vs. Levothyroxin

Options
Soo I know the difference is the fact that one is name brand and the other is generic, I also know that they dissolve differently however I have also come to notice that your body reacts to both differently....

I was on levoxyl for a long time and it seemed to help me lose weight, have more energy, ect ect but since my insurance stopped covering name brand I have been turned over to the generic for the last couple years and it seems weight loss has been no more than IMPOSSIBLE and plus I am super tired all the time.

I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday to get back on the Levoxyl, even if I have to pay for it. Has anyone else been on these and noticed a difference?

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    You could try reading the ingredients list for both products, there could be a problem in there, something disagrees with you. Most people say there can be issues changing from and to, named and generic brands, one kind suits one person and not another. I hope your doctor listens to your concerns. Do you have any diary entries, hard copies from the weeks months after the change? documentary evidence seems to go down well with some doctors.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    The identified parameters of the branded drug and identical to the generic (potency, uptake rate, etc.); however this does not cover the list of other issues in pharmaceuticals such as the list of inactive ingredients and their respective sources. You can contact the manufacturer and request a Certificate of Analysis. You should also notify the company's pharmacovigilance department and inform them of any adverse effects.

You should be able to have your physician order the name brand drug and insurance cover it.

I can relate - I do great on Synthroid, but tried a few generics and did not get the same effect. I had my endocrinologist specify Synthroid.
  • DietingMommy2008
    DietingMommy2008 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The identified parameters of the branded drug and identical to the generic (potency, uptake rate, etc.); however this does not cover the list of other issues in pharmaceuticals such as the list of inactive ingredients and their respective sources. You can contact the manufacturer and request a Certificate of Analysis. You should also notify the company's pharmacovigilance department and inform them of any adverse effects.

You should be able to have your physician order the name brand drug and insurance cover it.

I can relate - I do great on Synthroid, but tried a few generics and did not get the same effect. I had my endocrinologist specify Synthroid.

My doctor prescribed it to me and told me if she writes the reasons I cannot do generic my insurance should cover it, the pharmacy said my insurance should cover it. I pick it up tonight and oddly enough IM EXCITED. Lol.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

My doctor prescribed it to me and told me if she writes the reasons I cannot do generic my insurance should cover it, the pharmacy said my insurance should cover it. I pick it up tonight and oddly enough IM EXCITED. Lol.

Great news - hope this works!

I should also add that every pharmaceutical company has a program to help out people needed life saving meds and on a tight budget. You have to bypass customer service and ask for a "Patient Assistance" form or "Financial Assistance". Most have this on the website somewhere, but it isn't always easy to find.