Irritated Stomach

Options
Figaver
Figaver Posts: 69 Member
Hello,
I've been eating low carb for 5 weeks now and have not strayed. Last night I decided to give myself a "cheat meal" and had Chinese mixed vegetables. I ate a ton of the veggies and very little white rice with it. Now today I am experiencing stomach bug symptoms. Clearly I could just have a stomach bug, but I'm wondering if it could be my body reacting to my cheat meal? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Maybe I'm reaching, I'm just hoping I'm not sick. With 3 young kids, this will make the 4th stomach bug that has gone through our house this winter :(

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    How many vegetables have you been eating in the past 5 weeks? I tend to have issues myself if I over do the vegetables....could it have been that?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Figaver wrote: »
    Hello,
    I've been eating low carb for 5 weeks now and have not strayed. Last night I decided to give myself a "cheat meal" and had Chinese mixed vegetables. I ate a ton of the veggies and very little white rice with it. Now today I am experiencing stomach bug symptoms. Clearly I could just have a stomach bug, but I'm wondering if it could be my body reacting to my cheat meal? Has anyone else experienced something similar? Maybe I'm reaching, I'm just hoping I'm not sick. With 3 young kids, this will make the 4th stomach bug that has gone through our house this winter :(

I had the "same" bug twice before I decided to stop "cheating" over two years ago. :)

You may have a real bug but I have not since going keto that I can remember.
  • Figaver
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    How many vegetables have you been eating in the past 5 weeks? I tend to have issues myself if I over do the vegetables....could it have been that?
    I have been eating a good amount of veggies. Probably not as much in one sitting like I did last night. It was a lot of broccoli, green pepper, onion, carrots and whatever brown sauce they use with it.

• Figaver
    Options
    Hello,

I had the "same" bug twice before I decided to stop "cheating" over two years ago. :)

You may have a real bug but I have not since going keto that I can remember.

Well this gives me some hope! And you can bet I won't be cheating again in the near future if it is the cause. I feel pretty normal otherwise, just awful stomach.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Many Chinese restaurants add sauces/seasonings to their veggies that are high in carbs. These are not going to be the same as you would likely fix at home. Also, Chinese meats tend to have sugary seasonings/sauces as well.

You likely noticed a large water weight loss when you changed to this WOE because carbs cause water retention. Many on here (including me) have noticed if we cheat, all that bloating comes back immediately. The funny thing is you may not have realized how bloated you were before, but when you no longer have it and it all comes back at once like this, it is very noticeable and can make your belly not like you any more.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'd blame it on the 'secret sauce' myself....