Anyone here doing PSMF?

Options
StrongGirlFitGirl
StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
The protein sparing modified fast. I am starting it again on Wednesday, so I'm seeing if there's anyone else doing it!

Replies

• LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I have never tried this, what do you plan to eat?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use a PSMF (Lyle McDonald's RFL, specifically) when cutting. However, since I never let my bodyfat get out of hand anymore, I only run it for 10-12 days at a time.

Which protocol are you planning on using?
  • mjc718
    mjc718 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had to put my Google fu to work. Very interesting. I had never heard of it.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    Options
    I use a PSMF (Lyle McDonald's RFL, specifically) when cutting. However, since I never let my bodyfat get out of hand anymore, I only run it for 10-12 days at a time.

I'm doing it under doctor supervision at the Cleveland Clinic. I'm very Cat 3, so I can run it for a fairly long time. I did it last year and managed to get two months in being rock solid, and two more being pretty compliant before I took a long break.

The two protocols are really similar, I think I have more protein restrictions though, and there's no plan for free meals. I stopped lifting last time I did it, but this time I'm going to continue. My plan is two days of total body lifting and two days of long-ish steady state cardio, like walking or something.
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    I have never tried this, what do you plan to eat?

It's a pretty strict diet, not meant for long term at all. I have a lot of fat to lose though, and this has been the only thing to work for me.

My doctor determined that I get 10 ounces of protein a day. I also get two servings of vegetables, greens are unlimited (within reason, of course!), and limited amounts of fat. There are also supplements required, especially Potassium, Magnesium, and Calcium.

Overall, the idea is to restrict calories enough to lose weight rapidly, but keep enough protein intake to not lose muscle.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    doggerland wrote: »

I'm doing it under doctor supervision at the Cleveland Clinic. I'm very Cat 3, so I can run it for a fairly long time. I did it last year and managed to get two months in being rock solid, and two more being pretty compliant before I took a long break.

The two protocols are really similar, I think I have more protein restrictions though, and there's no plan for free meals. I stopped lifting last time I did it, but this time I'm going to continue. My plan is two days of total body lifting and two days of long-ish steady state cardio, like walking or something.

I am far more strict of my own volition, in protein choices than what Lyle (or most doctors) offer. It's basically a run of nothing but chicken tenderloin (breast without rib meat) with any rendered fat scraped off, and canned tuna for me. Cat 1s don't get free meals either, so I know them feels.

As for the lifting, I reduce to 3x per week, alternating upper (bench, rows, ohp, abs) and lower (squats, deadlifts, calf raises) but do full body on the day of my refeed. I also tend to keep my LISS pretty consistent throughout: 5-8 miles of walking per day.