Breakfast Ideas please

Options
rigdonm
rigdonm Posts: 1 Member
I love breakfast and am lucky (I think) to wake up hungry. But I'm tired of an egg, spinach and slice of bacon. Need some low-sugar ideas.

Replies

• dm5859
    dm5859 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try recipes at ruled.me.com. They are excellent.
  • itsallgood803
    itsallgood803 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of breakfast casseroles to meal prep for work.
    They turn out like a crust less quiche.
    One is sauteed onion and turkey ham, blanched broccoli, cheddar, milk and eggs.

Another is sauteed onion and kale, feta cheese, milk and eggs.
  • DFlowerchild1
    DFlowerchild1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Atkins.com click on recipes 1000's. Low carb.
  • OrchidMajenta
    OrchidMajenta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have a big glass of V-8 (with some hot sauce in it, which boosts metabolism) and a hard boiled egg with Mrs. Dash seasoning on it.
    If I'm in the mood for something sweeter, I have oatmeal, with peppitos (a type of pumpkin seed) or chia seeds, cranberries, a pat of butter,maple syrup and a little non dairy hazlenut coffee creamer (the liquid kind).
    Another option is (in the blender) mix frozen banana, vanilla greek yogurt and fruit--fresh or frozen of your choice. Berries are a good choice, and I use frozen. Throw a little fruit juice in there, or coffee creamer when you do the frozen bananas (do that first) and then add everything else. You can have one of these any time for a snack, too. For a treat, have the bananas, yogurt with orange juice--just like an orange julius! Or instead of OJ, add coffee creamer and chocolate cocoa powder, like swiss miss. It's like a malted milk shake!

I don't tolerate ice cream very well anymore--so I really love these!
  • Lazzell95
    Lazzell95 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I bought a refurbished "Breville" Juicer for $45 and make my own juice every morning. It tastes better than it looks.

2 Handfuls of Kale
    1 Large Cucumber
    2 Granny Smith Apples (quartered and pits removed)
    1/2 Lemon (rind removed)
    2 (thumb sized) pieces of raw Ginger
    4 Stalks of Celery

I wash everything and cut as described above. I start with the Kale and put the Lemons on top. Next is the Ginger because sometimes it is difficult to grind, so I follow that with the Celery. Finally its the Apples followed by the Cucumber. Cucumber is last because it has so much juice you have to be careful not to overflow, and it also pushes through any Apples that accidentally went skin side down and didn't completely go though.

Tastes great and provides almost 85% of my daily vitamins and minerals. The Ginger gives it a nice kick. And lastly...I hate celery too, but you can't taste it.
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Right now, I bake two sausages in a dish with 16 cherry tomatoes and a hash brown balanced on top. Comes in at 341 calories, 8 sugar, 4 fibre, 24 carbs, 14 protein.

When this bag of frozen sausages runs out, I'm planning to try Fry's Family Meat Free Banger Style Traditional Sausages. That will make the whole dish 315 calories, with 8 sugar, 7 fibre, 21 carbs, and 18 protein.
  • skinnywitch69
    skinnywitch69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Toasted hot cross bun 168 calories with 1 teaspoon salted butter 60 calories. Should fill you up till mid morning when you can munch on some carrot batons and sliced apple. Don't your water! Happy Easter.

[/quote]

• skinnywitch69
    skinnywitch69 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sorry meant drink your water :)
  • jackie_jones83
    jackie_jones83 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My favorite morning breakfast has been butternut squash noodles with two eggs and either bacon or turkey sausage. I sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top too. Delicious!
  • anxietygirl
    anxietygirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Although it does have SOME sugar, you can experiment and change up how much you put in to match your diet in this:

Maple Chia Seed Pudding
    1/4 cup chia seeds (I just buy 'em at Publix)
    1 cup reduced-fat or whole milk (I found that skim didn't work as well and it doesn't keep you as full)
    The recipe calls for 1/4 cup maple syrup but I am using just a few tablespoons of syrup and it's fine for me - I say between three tablespoons to 1/8 cup maple syrup depending on your sugar rules
    Vanilla extract - I just use a few drops
    Chopped fresh berries (I use about a cup's worth)
    2 tablespoons sliced almonds
    Dash cinnamon

The night before, put together vanilla, maple syrup, and milk. Shake well. Add chia seeds and shake again until everything is well mixed. Wait fifteen minutes, shake well once more, then add to fridge. THe next morning you'll have a nice pudding. Add chopped berries and almonds and eat.

It's a really nice fast breakfast, since you've made almost all of it the night before. Like I said, the actual RECIPE (from a maple-syrup cookbook) calls for a TON of sugar but I've actually removed more than half of the suggested amount and it's still really good. I'm experimenting with how little maple syrup I can use and still like the taste.

This serving, depending on how much maple syrup you use, has around 450 calories and it keeps me full for a good three to four hours after I eat.
  • samuelgina91
    samuelgina91 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    This morning I made steak and egg, with coffee. It was 450 calories which honestly was a lot for me, but I was full from 7 am till 12 pm where I had a salad with protein, and then shikabob type dinner with a clear broth soup. Had a lot of protein today but I am full and honestly when was the last time I felt that satiated after a meal.
  • Serenalal
    Serenalal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I am Serena from NZ

So I try to have breakfast on my weekdays on the bus/train straight after my workout on my way to work. So I need something substantial, refilling, (make ahead?) that doesn't need any refrigeration or heating and pretty low mess.

Last week I made a bliss ball kinda thing with Peanut Butter, Rolled Oats, Honey and Walnuts (Thinking to do a macha and chocolate flavour in the future) but would LOVE some more ideas I can prepare in advance for breakfasts for the week. Anyone got thoughts? Sorry this is my first post

• atalya38
    atalya38 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    English muffin with peanut butter and a fruit (I usually have a clementine). Jordan's cereals with fruit, fresh or dry takes me a long way, do not need to have a snack between breakfast and lunch.
  • ksonobe
    ksonobe Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I Love these overnight fridge oats- made in mason jars:
    1/3C oats
    1/3C almond milk
    1/2C Greek Yogurt
    1 tsp chia seeds
    1tsp honey
    1tsp almond butter
    Mix together and top with 1/2 C fresh or frozen fruit (I use frozen)
    I make these 3-4 days ahead of time, ready in the morning to grab and go!!
    Enjoy!
  • tramaine_21
    tramaine_21 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs topped with peanut butter!

I know, I know it sounds gross but don't knock it until you try it. It's so good, plus it adds protein to your diet. Tip: Use your favorite peanut butter. Try it, you'll love it!
  • 1musicgrl
    1musicgrl Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Scrambled eggs topped with peanut butter!

I know, I know it sounds gross but don't knock it until you try it. It's so good, plus it adds protein to your diet. Tip: Use your favorite peanut butter. Try it, you'll love it!

That's really interesting! I love peanut butter and eat it in and with everything I can. But I never thought of it with eggs!! I'll definitely have to give this a try!
  • prlgator
    prlgator Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wake between 530 and 6 and don't eat till 8am (just can't) anyway I do one of two things:

1> Boiled egg and fruit or 2 > egg in a cup. I eat this when I get to work.

I have a cool way to do boiled eggs and it works, here is the link. (http://allrecipes.com/recipe/232024/hard-boiled-eggs-in-the-oven/ ) works like a charm, I do 6 every Sunday for breakfast over the week or salads.

Egg in a cup is fun: crack egg into leak less container , add desired amount of your favorite ingredients (my new fave is cheese and pickled jalapeno) I use I cant believe its not butter that I keep at work in spray form. Spray inside of a mug, dump egg mixture, mix, stick in microwave for 1 minute, take out and stir if still to wet nuke another 15 to 30 seconds. Take a sec and eat sitting down (cool a sec) put mug in sink to soak. Off to work!

Both I can get under 300 calories with coffee in the am and it holds me till lunch (most days)