Gallstones

Options
Chillycatmum
Chillycatmum Posts: 188 Member
I have finally found out what is causing my stomach issues - had a scan today which has shown up lots of gallstones in my gallbladder, not sure what this means yet and what they are going to suggest to do, but the most likely next step will be my gallbladder being removed.

At least I know my pain is not due to nothing and there is a reason, but my next steps are to look at what I need to do with my diet - any help would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    be sure to take it easy after surgery. Your body will need to adjust afterward. I am a couple years out from having mine removed and am able to follow the LCHF diet. I would suggest being conservative with fat right after the surgery and slowly add it back in, but you can still stay away from the high carb food.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    With me, diet changes didn't help. My triggers seemed to be anything from vegetables, to yogurt, to meat, etc.
    After a few severe attacks, I was sent out of town for a quick gallbladder removal. I agree, take is easy after surgery, I ended up being off work for longer because I got an infection and just had a tough time.
    It is much better that it is out now (had it removed in 2007)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2006. I had a fairly easy recovery and I feel much better now. I honestly don't really have a lot of trouble with fats. Most of my post-gallbladder issues cleared up on low carb even with the high fat! The only thing is if I go a long time without eating anything at all I sometimes have an issues. However I have coffee with cream for breakfast and eat lunch around 2 or 3 and the coffee seems to be enough to prevent stomach trouble.
  • my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    be sure to take it easy after surgery. Your body will need to adjust afterward. I am a couple years out from having mine removed and am able to follow the LCHF diet. I would suggest being conservative with fat right after the surgery and slowly add it back in, but you can still stay away from the high carb food.

I agree with this...I had mine out in 2008, fats were a huge problem for me! Take it easy and let your body recover. I have no problem at all with fats now that I'm on Keto, thankfully! Everyone is different so I'm hoping you won't have to deal with being more sensitive to fats after your removal
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Not everyone has post-surgery problems. I've not had any ill-effects. I can eat anything and don't need any supplements. Hopefully, your situation can be managed without surgery. Good luck.