Speed or Resistance

Options
ABabilonia
ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
Hello everyone, I just have few quick question that I need to ask. First let me tell you that I enrolled to officially run my first 5K in July 4th, which gives me plenty of time to train a little more. Today I completed week 5 of the program (I have been repeating some weeks to gain more confidence), which means that I was able to run 20 minutes none spot (which by the way is a big milestone for me), so the question I have is, should I now going forward concentrate in improving my speed (covering more distance in the 20 minutes run? Or should I instead concentrate in resistance (increasing my running time)? Any help or guidance you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    first complete the program as it is, and then i would say move on (either using another program or by yourself) to slowly increase your distance up to 10k. As you increase your distance, your speed will increase inevitably without any effort. For me, i found that after i reached the 8k mark, i was considerably faster when i attempted the 5k distance, and at the 15k mark, running as slowly as i used to run in the beginning, is impossible.I went from running a 5k in 46', to running a 5k in 33' in 5 months just by increasing my distance from 5-15k