RMR tested - Thoughts?

Options
dipitie
dipitie Posts: 25 Member
I am currently in a DietBet (so I don't want to start the reset until it's over). I'm looking at starting a metabolism reset in August and then losing again based on TDEE - 15% or so. I had some flexible spending money so I went to my local sports medicine clinic to get my RMR tested.

Okay, there were some red flags that I wasn't paying attention to, mostly because I wanted to get the money spent before the end of the healthcare period (our year ends July 31) and I wanted to get it over with. First the tech wanted to cancel because he "wasn't comfortable" but they couldn't find another appointment for me. Then they said they couldn't get the results right away because of computer issues. I said that wasn't a problem because I wasn't going to use the information until August anyway.

So today they emailed me - still don't have the full report, but they told me my resting metabolism was 944 kcal a day. At first I was like, OMG I've ruined my metabolism way more than I thought! Then I started to think that maybe it was so low that it is a mistake. Does anyone have any thoughts? I *think* my food diary is open for anyone to look, I've only been tracking a couple weeks because I was on weight watchers before. I know I was probably eating low cals on Weight Watchers but I did eat all of my weekly points and sometimes then some.

For reference, I'm 40 years old, female, 169 pounds, 5'9". I wear a Fitbit so I don't normally track any exercise on MFP because I'm mostly walking and running.

Would you ask for a retest? Or would you consider those results to be correct and just start a metabolism reset?

Replies

• dipitie
    Options
    Anyone? :(
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Too much strangeness in there - they should be willing to do a redo.
    You can ask what figures did they actually have to calculate the RMR with, true you only need a few, but need that avg of them through the whole time, mainly taking the avg when the lower numbers are reached.

Were you told proper prep? No food within 6-8 hrs, no exercise day before (recovery from lifting for instance raises metabolism).
    Might give indication of their general ability with this, and your testing state.

That is not unheard of if you've been eating 1200-1400 gross and doing a bunch of exercise, you could lower RMR that much easily.

Might enter some test days of eating and see how many calories that was.

So for sure do NOT want to base a TDEE off a suppressed RMR though, that's for sure. Talk about driving it further down.
  • dipitie
    Options
    Thanks Heybales! I was told no exercise for 24 hours and no food for 4 hours before. My test was at 2:15 in the afternoon, and I ate a banana around 9 am to tide me over. I didn't do any planned exercise but I did get 12,000 steps the day before just from my daily work, etc. and had to take my dog to the lake a couple hours before (he was driving me crazy without a walk), had about 2000 steps in that day before the test.

I do have a couple typical weeks logged. I'm averaging 1875 calories a day over the last two weeks, but netting about 900 due to my exercise. In Weight Watchers, I'm guessing my daily intake was at least 1360 a day plus fruits and veggies (I eat a lot usually so easily could be another 200-300 calories a day). There were some days that I went over too.

I'm going to ask them to redo the test, but I'm guessing I better start with the reset regardless. :(
  • dipitie
    Options
    Thanks tammylj73!

Weight Watchers changed the program - now points are 40 calories each, give or take, I was getting 27-30 (1080) a day, and you get 49 weekly points (average of 280 a day) plus fruits and veggies were free - easily another 200-300 calories. Still low but not as low.

I don't know what the computer problems were specifically, at first they told me they couldn't be printed, so I thought they could verbally give them to me, but when I the test finished he didn't give me anything or even show me a screen. I asked him if he thought it was low, and he said yes, very low, so I asked if he thought the test should be repeated. I'm wondering if there was a leak in the tube or something like that. I'm just shocked it could be that low - I've only been really cutting the calories for the last 3-4 months. I essentially did a reset from October - January Hahaha

I guess I'm in for a reset - starting August 3 as soon as that darned DietBet is over.
  • dipitie
    Options
    I live in a small town, so this is the only place that does it. It is with the Sports Medicine clinic at the hospital, and we live in a very athletic town so I thought it would be good. The other tech was on vacation this week, so maybe I'll try it again with her. Also they told me it was $55, but then added an office visit fee - ugh! I asked the tech who emailed me the results if he thought they were abnormally low, and he said yes, so then I asked him if he thought we should retest (asked is too soft - I almost forced the answer of yes on him). Still waiting to hear back. Thanks for your answers - it is very scary to think my RMR is less than 1000 kcal a day :( But I can change that - just hope I don't grow out of my clothes while I'm doing it! LOL
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004).
    A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week).

A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).

After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.
  • dipitie
    Options
    Thanks to both of you! I'll figure it out :)
  • AutumnBreeze07
    AutumnBreeze07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I would ask for a re-test, or try a different place. It seems strange that they wouldn't give you any information right away. They should have at least offered a better explanation.

I just had mine tested at the YMCA about 2 months ago, and my RMR tested at 1988 calories! :noway: Because it was so high, they retested (about 2 weeks later) and I tested at 1911 calories. I didn't do any exercise for 24 hours, and no food for at least 12 hours (I went 14 hours without food). I didn't ask for a re-test -- they offered.

I'm 40 years old, 170 lbs, and 5'5", so this was very surprising to me. I definitely understand why you would want to re-test after getting a low number.

I still don't believe my RMR numbers, but the New Leaf tester has asked me to come back next month and test again at no charge (so nice of them!).

Good luck !