Do you eat sausages? And nuts and berries?

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
I haven't been grocery shopping in a while, but i found some sausages. I scanned the barcode and it said 6 carbs for 2? What is in these things? I ate them anyways because I was starving. Really high fat though so I can eat some chicken and salad later.
And I don't really like fruit or nuts but what amount can you eat? If I happened to want to graze sometime. I am always under 15 carbs a day, try to be below 10. Some foods seem like they're a bit iffy to me.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I eat nuts, sometimes fruits - buy my carb allowance is a lot higher than yours, so for you those items may not fit 15 is super low.
  • my4andme333
    my4andme333 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Google carbs in food lists you'll find tons on information, I have everything I've found printed out and taped to the fridge so I know what I'm eating even before I enter it into the diary on MFP
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    I'm just worried about "bad carbs", like if I start eating things that turn into glucose I'll stop losing weight. I'm a bit of a noob at this
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Berries and some sausages are fine, just check the label first. I do eat above 20, under 50 grams, so I also have full fat plain yogurt.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    you're sausages likely have sugar, are they maple flavour?
    I eat sausages regularly but there is a big difference in an Italian dinner sauasage and a maple pork breakfast sausage.... the breakfast sausages I buy are not flavoured and are 2g carbs for 2 sausages.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    as for nuts, I eat peanut butter, and I snack on a few berries with my whipping cream. but not too much.
    the sausages are a big yes.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat all those although the berries are mainly just when they are season. Nuts are my main carb source now a days.

I eat suasages but not ones with filler or sugar added. The carbs are minimal that way.

IMO, the only bad sugars are added sugars unless you have metabolic issues. I don't think anyone will benefit from granulated sugar of HFCS, I think many fruits can be healthful for some people - if they can handle the carbs. I can't so I skip them.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    I'm just worried about "bad carbs", like if I start eating things that turn into glucose I'll stop losing weight. I'm a bit of a noob at this

As a newbie, treat all carbs as bad! Yes, even fruits and berries. Once you attain you ideal then maybe you can get a bit more lenient. I limit nuts, and rarely have berries (I love them and would not be able to stop, blowing my carb allowance for sure). For the sausage, it is the fillers and added sugar. You have to read the label, nutrition and ingredients, after a while you will be able to see immediately which ones are good and why the bad ones are bad.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    They usually contain dextrose. If you check labels you will find some have more carbs than others.
    6 carbs for 2 sounds about the lowest I've ever found myself.
    I do eat them occasionally. I try to avoid processed meat of that kind as much as possible because I had been eating it pretty frequently. But I do still eat it as long as it's one of the lower carb sausages.
    I mean, even bacon has some carbs. You're not going to find packaged meat without something less desirable. It is what it is. Probably won't cause you any problems.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Sausage can be tricky because so many companies add sugar. I would suggest immediately avoiding anything that says maple flavored. I don't eat sausage as much as I used to, but the brand I have been eating lately only has 2 g per serving with 15 g fat and 15 g protein. And they taste good.

https://shinersmokehouse.com/products/
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    They were pillers gluten free smoked sausages. Does say they have dextrose. Oops.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I do eat all of the foods you mentioned...just not daily. For me, sausage/hot dogs can be a great quick dinner on nights I work late. They are a little higher in carbs than unprocessed meat, but some nights I'm just exhausted and want something I can throw in the microwave for 30 seconds and be ready to eat.

Berries I'll usually do on the weekends to go with breakfast

Nuts are an occasional snack when I'm craving crunch or cereal.

My self appointed daily carb limit is 50g (total, not net)...so that does allow me to eat a bit more.

I think it all depends on how you feel after you eat them...if you can keep it moderate and it doesn't spark more cravings, then they can find a place in your allowance.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I disagree with eliminating berries. If you allocate them into your daily macros then there is no issue having a few of them. I eat raspberries (not a lot), almonds and macadamia nuts but never in large quantities.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,367 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Sausage can be tricky because so many companies add sugar. I would suggest immediately avoiding anything that says maple flavored. I don't eat sausage as much as I used to, but the brand I have been eating lately only has 2 g per serving with 15 g fat and 15 g protein. And they taste good.

https://shinersmokehouse.com/products/

I had Shiners jalapeno sausage with eggs and spinach for lunch today - they are real good! I also like Burton smoked sausage - theirs is only 2g carbs per serving (I think).
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I eat occasional nuts, berries and sausage. They have a few carbs and I can fit them in my <30 grams. Besides the nuts and berries have lots of fiber and I am an advocate. Net carbers gotta love raspberries.

I skip cakes, cookies, pies, breads, candy, noodles, rice, pasta, barley, potatoes, quinoa, legumes (except peanuts, couscous, bananas, apples, grapes, oranges, pears, cherries, etc. Most of the time I skip peas, corn, carrots, parsnips, winter squash, sweet potatoes, etc. You see there are lots of things I don't eat that the real world eats and I deem healthy.

Every now and then I might even add a little cornmeal to deep fry a piece of fish. Truth is cheese, coconut milk, olives, pickles and many other touted "low carb" foods have carbs in them especially if you go a bit overboard.

I'm obviously not a purist. It hasn't seemed to hurt me. I find keto restrictive. I mean, look at the list of "don't eats". How can any one say it is not a restrictive diet. I don't get that. However, what I eat is my choice and I'm content. :)

People eat their 85% and up chocolate all the time and justify the carbs. ;)
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've learned there names of the sugars and sugar alcohol and avoid those if listed in ingredients. I'm currently in major weight loss mode so I've willingness all nuts, seeds, and berries, but that probably won't be permanent. I can't seem to stay under my carb Goodall with my salad intake, but I'm ignoring net carbs/fiber. I just try to eat 2 cups of leafy greens per day...
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Keto is quite restrictive, if you're someone that like veggies and fruit. I don't. I'd quite happily eat meat forever. I'm trying to lose fat sooner rather than later right now, because I have a lot to lose. Once I get to my goal I won't be so restrictive. Probably even have some "bad" stuff here and there.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've never really been a fruit person, I can pass on all of it...unless it's a lime with my tequila. I digress. I used to love nuts. LOVE NUTS. But I've realized I was into the nuts for the salt. Unsalted nuts are bird food. :smile: Most of my carbs come from leafy greens. and I do eat processed meats but I'm conscious about frequency and kind because I do seem to have some negative side effects from too many nitrates.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I eat only unsalted nuts, which I find rich and satisfying without going overboard... If I bought them salted... I'd be in trouble, just like mmultanen. Besides I find that raw nuts pretty well guarantee that I'm not getting any surprise gluten in them (very important for me). I can always do a salt grind into my palm and lick it off when I eat nuts. Somehow it does not have quite the same effect as factory salted nuts.
    I will have berries a couple times in the weeks they go on sale fresh, but otherwise I don't usually bother with fruit, because I love the flavours of any fruit and it starts me on a slope to other delicious flavours I don't generally choose to eat on LCHF.
    Sausages - I really love Freybe Damn Hot (habanero) Pepperoni. They are GF and for a long 45g stick have 2 net carbs and 10 protein. I'll eat 2 usually (more if I could get away with it). They have a super dry texture and salty-fatty-HOT chewiness. I also like Cervelat and Genoa Salami. If you are talking 'breakfast' type sausage, I just buy pure sausage meat with spices only from my local grocery in-house custom butcher. They buy local pork & beef with no antibiotics or hormones, often pasture raised depending on which farmer's animals are available that week.
    You might want to try a local butcher and ask for pure meat & spices sausage (in casing or not depending on your meal/recipe). That's what the butcher is for, so you can get the exact cut of meat you want and don't have to take what's generally on offer at a regular grocery chain.