Fat And More Fat

Options
sickandfat
sickandfat Posts: 69 Member
Mercy this is the first time that I have tried a Keto diet and I struggle to eat enough food and Fat! I have done low carb diets in the past but I am a diabetic and my sugars got out of control. A1C was 9 so I am trying to try Keto now. I also have heart disease and was scared of Fats. That is why I done the low carb before trying Keto. I feel like either way I am going to get into big trouble?? Any advice would help me. Are there anyone on here that has diabetes and heart disease like me and if so how are you doing on a Keto Diet?

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Yes I am T2D and this woe has me down to only met and low dose hbp pill. A1c went down from 7.4 to 5.1 in 3 mos. I've lost close to 35 lbs. I feel great! My ast/ alt were son elevated due to fatty liver Drs always thought I Had Hep C or cirrhosis! on my last lab on dec, my ast/alt were in the normal range! Although my trigs are still high (400s) they've decreased from the 500s they were a few years ago (I think its a genetic thing) My fbs are 80s-90s and my pps are never over 150. This woe is the BEST way for diabetics to manage this disease imo. And I'm only one of many success stories for T2Ds here. Now please be sure to remember, it's not the HIGH FAT that helps us, it's the LOW CARB. The fat helps keep us satiated so we don't feel hungry all the time and our sugars don't crash. Please read the info on the launchpad, especially about electrolytes imbalance aka keto flu. It will save you a lot of headache lol welcome and Cant wait to hear your success story soon!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    I am T2D, and have found the LCHF to control the BG very well. I have some mild hypertension, but no heart disease. My fasting readings are almost always the highest of the day due to "dawn phenomenon" I guess. I am only on metformin.

My glucometer tells me that my 14 day average for all my readings is 108. My 30 day average is 110.

Total cholesterol was 156 when I had my last check. I have historically been on a statin due to high cholesterol, so the LFHC really brought those numbers down too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Pre-keto I had high blood pressure but got it down with weight loss am and no longer on meds. Later I started eating keto and BP remains normal. Heart disease? Dunno. Cholesterol was high (~230ish) a couple couple years ago but I've not been to the doc since 2014. What I generally see here is most folks "numbers" improve eating keto/low carb.

I was quite leery of increasing sodium and fat but feel great and BP is fine. I suppose I should go to the doc for a check up. I'm 63. :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    the LFHC really brought those numbers down too.

I was typing this before breakfast, and it should have been LCHF. I am guessing people figured that out - sorry...

• sickandfat
    Options
    Thank all of you so very much! It is very good to see how the LCHF diet has helped all of you! I am going to give this diet my very best try. I am under a diet doctor's care doing this diet. When I next have blood work done I hope some of my numbers have improved also. I just started this diet 1/22/17 and my sugars are doing better when I test at home. I have higher numbers first check in the mornings also? I am trying to get into Ketosis but so far my ketone blood meter says 0.3 are there any ideas about how this works? I think I am not eating enough fats yet? Do you have to eat enough fats to get into Ketosis or go lower on the carbs? I am trying to keep my carbs at 20 to 25 per day. Some days they are lower than 20. I do not see my diet doctor again until May. Thank all of you again for the encouragement.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    sickandfat wrote: »
    Thank all of you so very much! It is very good to see how the LCHF diet has helped all of you! I am going to give this diet my very best try. I am under a diet doctor's care doing this diet. When I next have blood work done I hope some of my numbers have improved also. I just started this diet 1/22/17 and my sugars are doing better when I test at home. I have higher numbers first check in the mornings also? I am trying to get into Ketosis but so far my ketone blood meter says 0.3 are there any ideas about how this works? I think I am not eating enough fats yet? Do you have to eat enough fats to get into Ketosis or go lower on the carbs? I am trying to keep my carbs at 20 to 25 per day. Some days they are lower than 20. I do not see my diet doctor again until May. Thank all of you again for the encouragement.

Being in ketosis is all about carb restriction.
    That's why people fasting for a few days will have very high ketones. They're eating no carbs. It's not because they're eating a lot of fat. Because they're eating nothing. It's about what they're NOT eating.
    You need to eat enough fat to make each meal satisfying but if you just cook with healthy fats and eat meat and add normal amounts of butter and cheese or whatever fat you choose to your veggies, you don't need to go out of your way to gorge on extra fats. ESPECIALLY if you're trying to lose weight. You've got fat in storage. Your body can use that as needed and that's exactly what it put it away for in the first place.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Sick and Fat: On LCHF, my A1c went from 6.5 to 5.1 and my fbs was in the 90s). It runs in the 80s and 90s testing at home now.

All my lipids improved dramatically (although LDL was a bit elevated but not nearly what it has been in the past). My triglycerides dropped into the 90s (expect further improvement) and my HDL went from 38 to 51.

My blood pressure dropped to what it had been in my 20s (around 110s/70).

Weight continues to slowly come off (I'm postmenopausal).

My energy is better, my attitude is better, fewer feelings of depression and physically I don't ache as much. As part of carbs (which are 5% for me) I never eat any kind of grain. I'm sure I have a gluten sensitivity which is another story. But getting my carbs incidentally from my protein or fat foods plus some greens or other low carb veggies seems to keep the aches and pains away.

Good luck to you on this new lifestyle and how wonderful you have a doctor you see who is supporting this lifestyle. This year, at my annual check up with my cardiologist, he said "keep up what you're doing" after I explained keto to him and he had seen my numbers.

There are tons of videos online to watch by Dr. Jason Fung. There are others by other low carb experts and I'm sure others can fill you in on the list of names. These help inspire me when I am feeling bored and old habits want to creep back in.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Thank you Sunny_Bunny_ for the low carb information on ketosis. I have a lot to learn. My Diet Dr. has my numbers as 5% carbs, 70% fat, 25% protein. I am staying under 20g carbs a day. I only had 14g carbs today. I have not been used to eating a lot of fat but he tells me that if I get into ketosis then I will be burning fat for energy and not carbs. 70% of fat to me is a lot? He also told me as you did to eat healthy fats. I am trying very hard to understand it all. I love this group and I know I can learn a lot from all of you.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Thank you suzqtme! I am very impressed about your great lipid numbers! I do hope that I can get my lipids better. You inspire me and give me hope! My carbs are set as 5% also so I must be on the right track. I am going to check out the videos you told me about. I do have a lot to learn.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    sickandfat wrote: »
    Thank you Sunny_Bunny_ for the low carb information on ketosis. I have a lot to learn. My Diet Dr. has my numbers as 5% carbs, 70% fat, 25% protein. I am staying under 20g carbs a day. I only had 14g carbs today. I have not been used to eating a lot of fat but he tells me that if I get into ketosis then I will be burning fat for energy and not carbs. 70% of fat to me is a lot? He also told me as you did to eat healthy fats. I am trying very hard to understand it all. I love this group and I know I can learn a lot from all of you.

Check out the launch pad, in the stickies section. It has a lot of good reference material.

Generally speaking, unless you're doing it for the neurological therapy, looking at grams is better than the percentages, because carbs are a limit, protein is a goal, then fat just makes up the rest until you're no longer hungry. It's okay if you don't eat all the fat and your actual intake percentages aren't exactly that, as long as the grams are right.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Hi Dragonwolf! Thank you for the information! It has been a long time since I have been logging and things have changed on this site and I need to learn how to find things. Can you tell me how to find the launch pad, in the stickies section? I am doing this Keto diet because of my health problems, diabetes, heart disease and more. I have had it put into my head not to eat fats by my heart doctor for so long that sometimes I have to think now that good fats are ok. When I first saw my diet doctors numbers for me 5% carbs, 70% fat, 25% protein it shocked me at first. I am so glad that you wrote (Generally speaking, unless you're doing it for the neurological therapy, looking at grams is better than the percentages, because carbs are a limit, protein is a goal, then fat just makes up the rest until you're no longer hungry. It's okay if you don't eat all the fat and your actual intake percentages aren't exactly that, as long as the grams are right.) I think that makes me see things more clear. I was thinking that I had to eat 70% fat each and every day. I am eating more fats now but some days I do not eat 70% of fat. I have been stressed out about that but I am just going to have to do the best I can because the stress will make my lipid numbers bad too. Thank you for all your help! I am so glad that I have people like you to listen and help me! I am searching the web and seeing good information about keto. I know one day I will get this through my head. I am so looking forward to feeling better. I struggle everyday.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sickandfat, here is a link to the launchpad, tons of great info in there.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

We all struggle everyday, some days not nearly much with this WOE. Hopefully you will get there soon.
  • sickandfat
    Options
    Thank you so much retirehappy! I will check it out! I am ready to learn more about my new way of living!