Cholesterol

Options

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Why do I think it might be beneficial or why the no? ;)

I think it can help with longevity. Lower BG equals healthier metabolic system and a lower cancer risk.... Don't know about the possible BM issues... not excited about trying that. LOL

They say no because my FBG was not diabetic, although it is inching that way as time goes on.

Ah, sorry to be vague. I could see your rationale! It's the doc's I was curious about.

I actually have a doctor who wants to control BG through diet. It's the reverse of the drug pushing doctor problem that most people have. ;)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Let me put my boots on and I'll see if I can find any studies on metformin and diabetes prevention.... ;)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Could we possibly have a stickied thread on Acronyms? All these obscure initials are playing havoc with my understanding of the forum, without constantly having to go Google them....I can't surely be the only one who has problems getting to grip with all this parlance....

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Could we possibly have a stickied thread on Acronyms? All these obscure initials are playing havoc with my understanding of the forum, without constantly having to go Google them....I can't surely be the only one who has problems getting to grip with all this parlance....

Here you go:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10081444/glossary-of-terms-abbreviations-and-acronyms?new=1

That is under the launchpad stickie. Tons of info in the threads of the launchpad.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Many thanks! I knew perhaps there had to be one, somewhere! Am very new to this, so rather green....Very good of you to point me in the right direction!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    (I'm not sure what the policy - or politics - is, with regard to 'corrections', but Ghee (clarified solid butter, as frequently used in Indian cooking) is to my knowledge and understanding, not pronounced 'Gee' (the 'G' sounding like the j in 'juice', or 'jiggle') but gHee (as the G would sound in 'gate' or 'gallery'....). It's very possible that someone may contradict me, and that's no problem; but I lived for a time with a family from Pakistan, I worked for a while for a family of Sikh Restauranteurs from Goa, and my father lived and worked in India shortly after WWII.... To my knowledge, I have never heard anyone from India or Pakistan, pronounce it 'Gee' (as in 'Gee Whizz')... Apologies if this isn't acceptable practice.....
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Second that, @AlexandraCarlson1985, my East Asian friends only ever called it gHee with a hard G. Makes a yummy meal no matter what you call it <3
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    My yoga instructor from 45 yrs. ago made it clear to me how to say gHee.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Motion carried.... :D
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm blasted why anyone would be tempted to say "Jee" with the bloody "h" sitting between the "G" and the vowel, as with any other good Italian word.

At the risk of derailing my own diet by mentioning foods that shall not be named, we don't say "spajetti."

(*kitten*, now I'm hungry :s )
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    (I'm not sure what the policy - or politics - is, with regard to 'corrections', but Ghee (clarified solid butter, as frequently used in Indian cooking) is to my knowledge and understanding, not pronounced 'Gee' (the 'G' sounding like the j in 'juice', or 'jiggle') but gHee (as the G would sound in 'gate' or 'gallery'....). It's very possible that someone may contradict me, and that's no problem; but I lived for a time with a family from Pakistan, I worked for a while for a family of Sikh Restauranteurs from Goa, and my father lived and worked in India shortly after WWII.... To my knowledge, I have never heard anyone from India or Pakistan, pronounce it 'Gee' (as in 'Gee Whizz')... Apologies if this isn't acceptable practice.....

well to me, the "h" added would then make someone think that you pronounce the "h."
    So then people would think it would be "guh-hee."
    What I put is exactly how it is notated in dictionaries for pronunciation. The hard "g" is noted with "g."
    I'll just remove the hint, then there will be no confusion. Then someone who wants to know how it is pronounced, then they can play with Google and find an entry to pronounce it audibly for them.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Lol pronounced like 'ghrelin' :D
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Thank you @baconslave , I apologise if I was treading on any toes.... :#

(What happened to my Avatar....?!)
  • RalfLott
    Options

Did it get younger?
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Lol pronounced like 'ghrelin' :D

That's not how you spell ghremlin.

(Wait...it's same *kitten* thing!)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

It's fine. It's best to avoid misinformation, even if it's just a misunderstanding on how a word is mispronounced. Having such wierd letter sounds in English is a pill. Hard or soft g? Why can't a g be a g and a j be a j? Because it's English. :lol:
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

Did it get younger?

Doubt it - it's my 60th today....(!) But there's no doubt I am most definitely young at heart - !!

I'll try posting a different picture....
  • RalfLott
    Options

Did it get younger?

Doubt it - it's my 60th today....(!) But there's no doubt I am most definitely young at heart - !!

I rather like the B/W future-princess-playing-in-the-jungle snap.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yeah, dunno why that's not appeared any more...! I just tried uploading and selecting another photo and - zip. Nada. Zilch.

(Sorry, this is diverting the thread somewhat.... (*pink*)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options

Did it get younger?

I rather like the B/W future-princess-playing-in-the-jungle snap.

Cousin's birthday party in Italy... the theme was 'The Circus'. I was supposed to be a tightrope walker. The rope? A small length of narrow plank, on the ground. (I think I did quite well actually to get even half-way across!)