Ladies period talk, men can come if they really want lol

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
So my periods were always super wonky. I could go up to 6 months without one regularly. I don't have PCOS or other uterine problems. I do have hashimoto's. I never went to the doctors, stupidly, because I kind of knew it was because of my weight and they would just bark at me to get off my *kitten*.
Well I'm almost 1 month into keto, and it showed up. I'm 7 months postpartum and I had 2 regular ones and then nothing for 2 months. I thought, great, this is going to continue happening. It's the reason I found out I was pregnant at 5 months... That and being so chunky i didn't see a baby bump :D
Has keto regulated you? Or helped you in other ways?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just want to say I vote for *asparagus* over * kitten* as a substitute, ya hear that UnderArmour?
    Keto didn't make any difference in my cycle. Pretty well every 3 months or so.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thyroid issues affect your period too. So if you have your levels in a good spot, that could be a big difference.
    Keto is supposed to be good for PCOS, so I would think that it could also help with periods being more regular. I think that it takes a while to help with that.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    It takes your body a full 2 years to fully recover from birth. Everything has the potential to,be a little wonky during that time. The irregularity can,be due to hormones, ways of,eating, weight, thyroid....so many things!

As for low carb eating, over the long term its reduced my flow,but I've also lost weight so is it the eating or weight loss? Ive seen no effect on length of cycle or other hormone related symptoms.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    My cycles got a a little shorter. They tend to be 27-29 days now. They are more regular now toon- less variation in length.

What I noticed the most is how my period is shortened. It can be as short as 4 days now. No more 7-10 days. Way better that way.

I am dancing around the edge of perimenopause right now though so naturally fluctuating hormones could be a part of the the shorter cycle and period.

For me, keto was almost 8 years postpartum so that wasn't it. ;) Although I was still losing a bit of "baby weight".
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that my period comes with less pain and abdominal discomfort now. It had lighten up too. But that could be normal postpartum stuff, who knows. My baby is almost 20 months. I was off and on for the first year, but I also breastfed for 16 months. Being postpartum, breastfeeding, lack of sleep, and dieting can cause all kinds of changes in our cycles. I think my less abdominal discomfort during periods can be attributed to my IBS being resolved with this woe.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    My periods were quite irregular pre-Keto but I noticed LCHF helped regulate them and for the first time ever in my life they came on like clock work at least during the weight-loss phase of my journey; however, this past year they've gotten a bit unpredictable and I think that may be due to a couple of things: (1) relatively low body fat % and/or (2) possibility of starting menopause really early.
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your insight. I guess I will just have to see if I become regular from now on. One more question, does your period stall weight loss? I've had a calorie deficit to lose 2lbs a week and I haven't lost anything since I got my period
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your insight. I guess I will just have to see if I become regular from now on. One more question, does your period stall weight loss? I've had a calorie deficit to lose 2lbs a week and I haven't lost anything since I got my period

A bit. It only lasted a week though.
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm only three months in but what I've observed so far is that it's settled at 21 days (I wavered between 19 and 27 days so I like the pick a damned number and run with it) and it's dropped to 4 days instead of a week. I'm going to keep tracking this since I've seen what the lack o' fat did with it. Supposedly, this might help with things but it's nothing that's proven or what not.

Side note, it's messing with my ovulation. I track both due to migraines. Long story short, I tend to get more migraines during my luteal phase. THAT seemed to jump up a week and the actual date of ovulation is being wonky. I'm wondering if that won't calm down since um, no baby...*crosses fingers*
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Weightloss hasn't ever stalled my period. And my period hasn't ever stalled weightloss. However, I have noticed that profound amounts of exercise (primarily when I was a training, and competing athlete) would stall my period. FWIW.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I have always been very regular, but keto did lessen cramping and altered the duration a bit.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have always been a very regular 30 days. Even after 3 births, I had my period return the next month and was again, a regular 30 days.

The first month keto I was 3 days late, the second month, I was 2 days early, now cycle #3 I am still waiting (3 or 4 days late now) and no sign of her.

I would say keto has made my cycles wonky, but my body is likely still regulating.