Options
2»

Replies

• k_e_l
    k_e_l Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    k_e_l wrote: »
    Hey guys!!! I'm new here. Glad to be a part of the group, thank you!

Hello and welcome! I watch both cals and carbs. Carbs for blood sugar control (I'm diabetic) and cals for weight loss. Eating low carb helps me to eat LESS overall but since turning 40 my metabolism has slowed down sooo much that calories matter in my case :(

Thanks @genmon00 ! I ate low carb/high fat yesterday while watching calories & carbs, & I noticed a BIG difference in my appetite. I wasn't starving all day!!! Woohoo!!! :-)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    k_e_l wrote: »
    Thank you both! I see my question was cut off, haha, sorry! I have done low carb in the past & was successful losing weight without counting calories or carbs. But that was 10 yrs ago & my metabolism isn't what it used to be. Just wondering how many of you watch either? both? & have you done it since the start, or once you got closer to your goal weight? i have 70 lbs to lose. (Wonder Woman is 75 this year? Wow! :-)

I keep an eye on both. I lost all my excess weight counting calories and hardly watching macros though I had them set to 40%c/30/30 which translated to 160--->120 grams depending on my weight.

I switched to keto in maintenance about a year ago so now monitor macros more closely. If I eat to my macros (grams), calories fall into line since macros grams are based on calories-9 calories in a gram of fat, etc. That said, I may choose to not eat keto everyday the rest of my life and have already learned that I personally can gain or lose weight no matter what I eat based on calorie intake.

In my mind it is macro allocation for health, calories for weight management.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    One thing I have noticed over the last 20 years is that when I put all my food in my diary, even those days when I eat more, I'll stay on plan overall and lose weight. The minute I start winging it and not recording my food I go off track and gain weight. I have been tracking daily for 4 years straight now, and I'm down 85lbs and will keep it off. As soon as I stop tracking I know my weight will climb again. It's not hard to do though, takes no longer than checking emails or reading memes on facebook.

Do you measure religiously or only occasionally?
  • k_e_l
    k_e_l Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    One thing I have noticed over the last 20 years is that when I put all my food in my diary, even those days when I eat more, I'll stay on plan overall and lose weight. The minute I start winging it and not recording my food I go off track and gain weight. I have been tracking daily for 4 years straight now, and I'm down 85lbs and will keep it off. As soon as I stop tracking I know my weight will climb again. It's not hard to do though, takes no longer than checking emails or reading memes on facebook.

yeah i wasn't looking forward to having to measure the veggies/cheese/dressing, etc in my salad or oil for cooking chicken in,etc, but look where not measuring & not caring got me. overweight! you are right...it doesn't take as long as I thought it would to track. its actually pretty interesting to me to figure out how many calories are in my creations lol. at least for now, in the beginning, i feel like it will help me to learn proper portion size so i can get the hang of it & get used to not having to feel overly full at every sitting! :-)
  • shantellnaidu
    shantellnaidu Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have a question. Using so my fitness pal do you focus on just the carbs or adjust based on sugars?
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I have a question. Using so my fitness pal do you focus on just the carbs or adjust based on sugars?

I have my food diary set up so carbs and fiber are next to each other. I focus on carbs but subtract fiber for 'net carbs'. I also monitor calories but that tends to be well under my goal; I usually don't over-eat on this WOE.

Generally I view carbs as a hard limit (always below the number), protien as a goal (try and get to that number), calories as a soft limit (try and stay below it but don't sweat it) and I tend to ignore the fat.

My diary is public if you want to have a look at it.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »

Generally I view carbs as a hard limit (always below the number), protien as a goal (try and get to that number), calories as a soft limit (try and stay below it but don't sweat it) and I tend to ignore the fat.

+1

The fat and the calories just take care of themselves once you get used to staying under the carb limit and hitting the protein number (or getting close).

My wife has been out of town and my secretary said she guessed I had gone off my diet while she was gone. In reality, I made a huge pot of kale with ham hocks and had things like broiled hamburgers with kale for breakfast. It was very easy to stay on the diet and did not require a sous chef to get it all prepared. I realize this is not the breakfast everyone wants, but it works for me, and it is LCHF friendly.