Ladies who lift...?

Options
ChaleGirl
ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
I lift a little bit during my workouts but nothing major. How many ladies lift weights as part of their training? Also does anyone have any advice to help me to go from an amateur, to taking it a bit more seriously e.g. When/how do you increase the weight, and do you focus on how heavy it is, or reps? Would love to hear your experiences!

Replies

• theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm no expert, but I just asked a similar question yo my MFP friends and this is what I learned. Consider your current ability, and know what you can currently do (or not do). You can chance asking people in the main lifting boards, but I suggest you search the weight lifting or general fitness boards (at the bottom search bar) using beginning or beginner and weight lifting. See what pips up and see if someone else has already asked and gotten answers. If you want general info you can also find good videos and routines on YouTube. If you want recs that are specific to you, you either need to get a trainer (even a one time thing) to give you specifics or to ask the boards. However, the people that answer are not always nice and are not always experts. I have found a ton of info in the pinned must reads at the top of may of the board's. For me, that info is specific enoigh. If you are moving from beginner to intermediate, you may need more. Best of luck to you!!!
  • ChaleGirl
    ChaleGirl Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thank you @theowlbox :)
  • AnnieFannie2016
    AnnieFannie2016 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been lifting weights for a few months, so I'm a newbie as well. I normally do about 30-45 minutes of cardio and then start my weights. My hubdub put a squat rack in the garage and I fell in love with it. At first, I could barely lift the 45lb bar by itself, but I would try to do at least 10 squats per set. You'll be able to feel when you need to increase the weights. I've recently graduated from the 10 lbs. to the 25lbs. Focus on your form before you increase the weight. Even if you just lift with the bar, you can continue to try to go deeper with each rep. I'm also now venturing into the unspoken "men" section of my gym now as well. (I was intimidated before) I've only lost about 20lbs so far, now that I've gotten serious about my health, but I feel amazing! I have a long way to go. Hope I helped. Lift, Lift, Lift!
  • Tiikerinraidat
    Tiikerinraidat Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I lift - that's part of my Kelly Coffey-Meyer DVDs. Some workouts concentrate on heavier lifting (lower reps) and other lighter weights (higher reps).
  • campbellv2016
    campbellv2016 Posts: 11 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    I lift and love it. I miss it mostly - because of an (unrelated) injury but have done it for years and working at getting back into it.

I learned to lift first with a trainer -- to learn good, safe form. I was fortunate to have a job that offered a subsidy for that.... Then I joined a crossfit gym -- but DO your research about the trainers at crossfit, because you don't wanna be doing heavy lifts (or any lifts) with bad form (or even 'box jumps' - which I wont do).

But about lifting - yeah - heavy weights and low reps (5-8) will help to build muscle and strength. Lighter weights and higher reps (10-15) will be more for toning and can even be used in cardio (check out 'barbell complex' or 'super sets'.

There are lots of theories and approaches to lifting. Safety always has be paramount. USE YOUR CORE all the time.

Let's say you wanna build some muscle (which doens't mean get big or bulk up, it just means be stronger) -- then say you're doing a back squat https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/strength-training/secrets-to-mastering-the-squat-part-1/ with 30 lbs.

Once you can do 8 reps of that -- or certainly if you can do 10 for 4 or sets, THEN increase your weight to 40 or 45lbs.

You might start back at 5 or 6 reps (and 3 or 4 sets) ...and work up to 8 reps for 4 or 5 sets.... then increase again... each step might take weeks... No need to rush :) Be safe and have fun!
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I am just getting back into lifting. I love it. I started with the 5x5 method and got great results before.
  • newlook1981
    newlook1981 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes 3 to 5 days a week I weight train . I do "russian" method . 5 sets of 20 . I love lifting because i love to feel strong but also it shapes the body so nicely . Muscles and curves baby !
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I lift with fitness blender workouts.
  • stricklee11
    stricklee11 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    yes 3 to 5 days a week I weight train . I do "russian" method . 5 sets of 20 . I love lifting because i love to feel strong but also it shapes the body so nicely . Muscles and curves baby !

Sorry to revive an old thread. Did you first meet with a personal trainer to show you how to correctly lift weights?
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Just my thought!

As time has gone on I have worked with several trainers . . . my intentions were never taken as seriously as I would have hoped, but I did learn some things. My suggestion would be watch some You Tube Videos (find a trainer that you like and watch their videos), take your time working on form and go from there. If you have specific questions try to meet with a trainer for just that.
  • Fab30s
    Fab30s Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I mostly lift. I first learned through youtube videos and continued to learn by watching people good at it in the gym. Sadly around here people find it strange and always stare at me. I have even been called a man but oh well!! I love lifting.
  • Lean_meanmachine
    Lean_meanmachine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm new to lifting! But I absolutely Love Love Love it! I feel so empowered lifting. I've always workout with some form of weights. I started with can goods because I didn't want to bulk! Then I moved on to dumbbells only 5 lbs but now I'm going all out Sistas!

I'm taking a power lifting class that's 1 hour long, 2 days a week so far but all day I dream about that class....
  • Lean_meanmachine
    Lean_meanmachine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Fab30s wrote: »
    I mostly lift. I first learned through youtube videos and continued to learn by watching people good at it in the gym. Sadly around here people find it strange and always stare at me. I have even been called a man but oh well!! I love lifting.

Are you toning? Seeing results yet?