Coconut Oil Question

Options
clawson91
clawson91 Posts: 106 Member
I've been debating for days if I should post this question. You guys may think I'm crazy but here goes. Has anyone gotten heartburn from coconut oil? I've been doing BPC since November. I got a little heartburn for about a week. That was resolved when I was out of butter one day and used only 1 tbsp of coconut oil in my coffee. I figured it was the butter so I skip the butter now. No problems until a couple weeks ago and it was an on/off thing until last Wed. The heartburn was horrible! I've not had anything that bad since I was pregnant with my oldest son. Up to that point I'd never had heartburn at all and thought I was having a heart attack! I was so miserable I ended up eating crackers and diet ginger ale for a few days. Was more relaxed with carbs over the weekend. Had coffee with HWC and was fine. I added a about half a tbsp coconut oil to my coffee today and I've had mild heartburn. I'm beginning to think the BPC needs to go. I hate that because I enjoy it and it keeps me full until 1 or 2 in the afternoon. And no I haven't changed brands. Any thoughts??

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    That is how I discovered my low stomach acid issue. I'd been low carb/keto for about 7-9 months, and I just hit a wall where my BP Tea started making me sick to my stomach or giving me heartburn every time. Definitely worth checking it out, because after I switched up and added different fats, it resurfaced about 5-6 months later, and then again 2-3 months later. It was that final shift that was the worst, and jettisoned me into action to solve the issue. I didn't have any idea what happened, but I described it as just "hitting a wall" with my fats. Seems I depleted certain stores of acids in my body without realizing it. Not saying that this is the case for you, but that would definitely be a research point for me.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have never had any issue with coconut oil yet only had issues with MTC oil each time I try it.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Maybe just try using less. I can't imagine 1/2 Tbs won't keep you just as satisfied as 1Tbs would...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I have never had any issue with coconut oil yet only had issues with MTC oil each time I try it.

Everyone seems to have a secret combination to unlock GI distress, and some foods just have our number.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Maybe just try using less. I can't imagine 1/2 Tbs won't keep you just as satisfied as 1Tbs would...

Now that is just way too logical. :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    A 1/2 tbsp gave her heartburn too. Today when she added a half tablespoon.....
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    If I ever open the new bottle I will try a lower dosage. Some how it just makes me feel weird but not really sick in any way. So much for a scientific answer. :)
  • clawson91
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss Is that when you started the Betaine HCL? If I eat anything with my BPC, which is rare, I take 2 and a magnesium. If not I just take 1. Maybe taking 2 regardless would help?? This enzyme has been a miracle for me! I can actually eat steak and pork chops now and not feel like I'm dying.
  • clawson91
    Options
    @RalfLott That's what I was afraid of!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Well then half of that...
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Try a digestive enzyme supplement.
  • clawson91
    Options
    @Cheesy567 I already take Betaine HCL. I take one with my coffee but maybe taking 2 would help?
    @kirkor Thanks for the links! Will check them out!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Good tips.

Someone in the former group recommended taking coconut oil with lecithin, which is said to emulsify the fat molecules, so that they're absorbed in the intestine and don't irritate the stomach.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Had my very-first-ever BPC this morning with 2 tbsps each of butter and coconut oil. I haven't tasted anything that delicious for ages - but it gave me wind, which was fine after I'd burped (naturally, it was a very ladylike burp, more dyspeptic than uncouth!) and I soon felt fine... Might reduce the coconut to 1tbsp see how that goes. incidentally, the concept is not a strange one to me. I regularly drink Tiibetan butter tea, although I will admit, the butter isn't rancid (as it is in Nepal/Tibet :s )....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    FYI, ladylike burps aren't technically "wind."
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    You are so right, I withdraw the term....
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Provided they're genuinely ladylike....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I was brought up on 'My Fair Lady' so yeah, they bleedin' are!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

Well then half of that...

Yes. LOL. Just a smidge for the coconut taste.

@clawson91, If you enjoy the flavor and are not opposed to artificial sweeteners, perhaps HWC in your coffee with a squirt of Jordan's Skinny Syrup, sugar free Coconut Flavor?