Need help

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
Okay so I'm 25 years old, and I have hashimoto's disease, for reference. I've been on keto since March 4th and I lost 15lbs, yay! But for the past week I've not budged on the scale. And my clothes don't feel any different. I've heard having thyroid problems can hinder weight, but I am following this to the letter. I'm always just under my calorie goal, which is a 1000 calorie deficit. And I NEVER eat anything I shouldn't. I will literally eat eggs and bacon for lunch, and then a steak/ chicken and salad for dinner. And I drink 9 cups of water a day.
I just don't understand it, and I feel like I'm just destined to be fat forever. I know it sounds negative but I've stuck to this now, and even started taking my son for daily walks, and I'm not seeing anything happen.

Replies

• Riche120
    Riche120 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, just give it a little bit of time. Its possible you've gotten to a point where your body is able to start working on healing. I've read that during that time fat loss will stall for a bit but your health will start to improve. The fat loss will pick back up again. There are a few people on here who have gone through it and can provide more detailed information on how it works.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Riche120 wrote: »
    Don't worry, just give it a little bit of time. Its possible you've gotten to a point where your body is able to start working on healing. I've read that during that time fat loss will stall for a bit but your health will start to improve. The fat loss will pick back up again. There are a few people on here who have gone through it and can provide more detailed information on how it works.

Well put!

PS. @hmikkola92, think about throwing your *kitten* scale into a dumpster from a tall building (in case you miss)?
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    I'm going to give the scale back to my mom. Lol. It's just stressing me out. I have a mini goal for when I go on vacation in July, and I really want to make it to 40 more lbs lost in 14 weeks. But when I first started this I was super chill about it and thought "it will take as long as it takes." I need to relax but it's really annoying how my body is.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Time is your ally;
    Impatience... well, not so much.

(And that Scale, for sure, ain't no friend to none of us!)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Is your deficit 1000 cal per day or per week?

A steep deficit is not a great idea with Hashis, it can trigger a thyroid crash. I usually aim for nothing greater than 500 cal per day.
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    As a woman, look for monthly trends, not weekly trends. We'll all stall for awhile, and have times of regain. Just stick to your habits. 15 pounds lost in a month is not failure...
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    It's a 1000 calorie deficit a day. If I don't do that I will never lose weight. The scale has gone up 2lbs now. I have no doubt this WOE works, I feel healthier and all that. It's just not translating to the scale. But I've had people tell me they notice my weight loss so that's nice.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Plus I'm not hungry ever, sometimes I have to make myself eat because I've only had 800 calories in a day. I try to get just under 1400 a day.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Sorry for the segmented posts. Just thought I'd add that my thyroid is completely dead and I rely fully on medication.
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    +1400 somehow sounds much saner than -1000!

I was on 1400 for the better part of a year. It worked well for weight loss, but I let my protein slide lower than I should have.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    I have an issue trying to keep my protein under control. I'm a carnivore at heart lol. Some fats like Avacado really gross me out.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    How much are you chewing through per day?
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    I made my diary public so you can view it if you'd like.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    @hmikkola92 What is your daily calorie goal if I can ask? I know it sounds counter productive but it may not be high enough.....When I started I started with 1200 calorie limit. I lost 8.5 lbs the 1st week and then wasn't losing any more. I raised my calories to 1300 just to see what would happen and I started losing again.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    @hmikkola92 What is your daily calorie goal if I can ask? I know it sounds counter productive but it may not be high enough.....When I started I started with 1200 calorie limit. I lost 8.5 lbs the 1st week and then wasn't losing any more. I raised my calories to 1300 just to see what would happen and I started losing again.

My daily goal for calories is 1400, a 1000 calorie deficit since I calculated my TDEE as accurately as I could.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Remember, it took you a long time to put the weight on so it's going to take a while to get it back off. Be patient. Weight-loss is not a linear journey. Often when the numbers on the scale stop moving, taking body measurements will show losses in inches. This is why so many of us in the community say take measurements, and take progress pictures, and ignore your scale, etc. etc. Keep calm and keto on.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    One more thing to consider is gut health. This is too often overlooked and is much more related to weight than most realize. Perhaps probiotics is an area to investigate.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    One more thing to consider is gut health. This is too often overlooked and is much more related to weight than most realize. Perhaps probiotics is an area to investigate.

My current dietitian (the only killer nutritionist I've run across over the course of years), suggested I look into mega-spores as a variety of probiotic likely to survive intact into your gut for maximum pop.

Familiar?
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

My current dietitian (the only killer nutritionist I've run across over the course of years), suggested I look into mega-spores as a variety of probiotic likely to survive intact into your gut for maximum pop.

Familiar?

I am still early in my research/experimentation of probiotics. What got me started was after changing to keto, my flatulence was reduced by about 99.8% until I had a couple rounds of antibiotics. Realizing the good bacteria in the gut can be collateral damage of antibiotics, it seemed like this would be a good area of investigation.

On the research side, I have found poor gut flora linked to many things I had not thought of including thyroid function, weight gain, even dementia. Based on how far along I am in research on diabetes (primary focus), I would still consider myself a novice on this topic, but getting stronger.