Getting enough fats

Options
Sara3434
Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Is there a minimum amount of fat I should be eating if under 20g of carbs per day?

I feel ok with what I am eating, sleeping better, feeling healthy, losing weight, but I don't want my health to go downwards if I'm not eating enough fat to fuel my body, so how much would I need? Does it depend on my age, height and weight?
Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Short answer is get your minimum protein in, don't go above your preferred carb level and only eat fat to satiety. If you are wishing to do this for weight loss and blood sugar control you don't need to force yourself to eat more fat. You already have enough fuel in storage on your body to run it just fine. The best longer answers with more detail are in the Launch Pad stickies at the top of this forum. You'll find all kinds of great info there and answers to many more questions.
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that I think I'm ok on the protein side of things just wasn't sure on the fats :)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Sara3434 wrote: »
    Thank you for that I think I'm ok on the protein side of things just wasn't sure on the fats :)

This keto horse is a different animal than whatever food ponies we had in our former lives.

You'll stay in the saddle longer, go further and faster, be more comfortable, and just have a better time if you set aside at least a few hours a week to learn the ins and outs.

The Launch Pad sticky @canadjineh mentioned is a great resource, and I'd also suggest looking through the Low Sodium thread, which could help you completely eliminate avoidable adjustment issues.

Good luck!