Acid Reflux - Better or Worse?

Options
swezeytba
swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
Just a quick poll out there. I see differing information online about how the ketogenic diet can make acid reflux better or worse. Any personal experiences out there?

The reason I'm asking is that I ended up in the emergency room last night for chest pains and shortness of breath. Luckily they didn't end up being related to a heart attack or apparently anything immediately life threatening based on my tests which is good, but now I'm left with trying to figure out what is causing this as I'm still having shortness of breath this morning.

ER doctor mentioned it could be acid reflux so I've been reading up on it a little and there are so many people here on the forum that I thought might have helpful info....

Let me know what you think!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @auntstephie321 - Info?

Also, I started having similar symptoms, dialed back on my ACV (kept the enzymes), and am back 98.5% of normal. After months of intermittent suffering. Going to talk to new doc about getting scoped, but *sigh* it is what it is.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    My reflux almost entirely went away when I started low carb. I will say, though, that when I do get it now it's more of the chest pain kind than the fire in my throat kind, which makes it scarier. Thank goodness it's rare.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Shortness of breath snd chest pains can also be an anxitlety attack. My SIL went to the emergency room cause she had all the symptoms of a heart attack but it wasn't. It was an,anxiety attack and the effects can last for days.

In general, my heartburn is much better not eating wheat based products. Or products containing wheat. However, I do sometimes find combinations of foods that give me weird reflux. But that's very situational and not chronic.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was medicated for acid reflux and since starting Keto, I have not had heartburn once.
  • Patti2008
    Patti2008 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Its better for me on low carb but definitely not gone.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get horrific acid reflux - there are somethings that trigger it, and im left upchucking the thing thats triggered the reflux.
    I learned in university that its been passed down from my dad, and his mum. (went home at the end of one semester and was like im on this amazing medication and my dad and nanna were both like oh i take that too).

I find yogurt helps keep my tummy chil, and green veggies help soak up acid really well. Corn chips are a reflux disaster for me. Sometimes the oil from meat (lamb anyone) will trigger nasty reflux, so I just try to eat it with veggies. Its so uncomfortable ! Hope you get it under control!
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Mine has gone away entirely, I used to get it every single night. Haven't taken a zantac for a few weeks now! I have noticed some heart palpitations though.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Didn't have pre-keto. Don't have now, 1 year into keto.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    Mine has gone away entirely, I used to get it every single night. Haven't taken a zantac for a few weeks now! I have noticed some heart palpitations though.

I get heart palpitations too now.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »

I get heart palpitations too now.

Well, now that you mention heart palpitations, I did have those initially when I started eating keto but quickly learned mine seemed to be tied to an electrolyte imbalance since a dose of extra salty broth or a big lick of salt poured into my palm fixed me up in a few minutes. It is pretty scary to actually feel your heart beating...