Work it Girls. :)

Options
mercurysfire
mercurysfire Posts: 144 Member
Here's how this is going to go down.

This is a personal challenge meaning we're not competing against each other. There's no points to keep up with. This is maybe a bit more of a collaboration. I want input from everyone whenever you want to whenever you can. Venting, celebrating, asking questions, or making suggestions. I will post a challenge every week. Every challenge has multiple parts. There's a physical, a food, and a mental part.

For the Physical challenge-Modify what you have to (if you can't do a push up, do a girly pushup. There's no shame in that.) and if you do, tell us how you modified it- there's someone else that could use that information. Do what you can do. But it is supposed to be a challenge so it's not supposed to be easy either. I will try to include modifications in the challenges but feel free to post a harder modification too.

There are some foods I hate. Some it's the smell, some it's the texture, some I think probably wronged me in a past life. That's the best explanation I can come up with since I hate them without knowing why. I'm actually going to put up a sticky for food you hate. Just because sometimes it's a thing you need to get off your chest. And if it's a food you like or love or just can't bear not to have as a part of your life, post a recipe for it. Sometimes all it takes for a food hate to be broken is the right way to fix it. I'm looking at you Guacamole. Are you going to break my hatred of broccolli? I doubt it- but that would be quite a f'ing thing. :)

The mental challenge is akin to the Victory Dance. Visualizations, NSV's, and getting outside your comfort zone. Not anything risque or dangerous, but let's face it- a lot of us got to this place because we got comfortable and stopped paying attention. Habits form and bad habits multiply and harden. So be realistic, but also have a little faith in yourself. No one ever died of giving up chocolate bars for a week or trying a bicep curl. This is your chance to flex those imagination muscles and try something different. Stand up tall, poke your reflection in the chest (that was my Opa's way of driving home a point) and say "Quit whining- you can do this."

Finally, this isn't about being perfect. This about getting better. Stronger. Fitter. HAPPIER. If you can't do 50 pushups, if you can only do 10 before your arms fall off then DO 10. Next time, do 11. The goal is progress. If cauliflower only kind of grosses you out but kale gives you nightmares, then start with cauliflower. Work your way up the scale. It's not an all or nothing game. This is Pee Wee Soccer. Everyone gets to play, everyone wins. It's about teamwork and encouraging each other. So that being said, no snarkiness, no flame wars, leave the Internet Attitude outside when you come in here. Not that any of you would be guilty of that. ;)

There's really no hard, fast rules except for one. BE NICE OR BE GONE. That's all. Participate when you can. A victory for one os a victory for us all. Let us celebrate it with you!

If you have any questions about the challenge- how it works, what something means, etc, post it here.

Replies

• mistyboggs
    mistyboggs Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Food Challenge: So I am thinking that Guacamole is the food part. (it confused me because you mentioned broccoli right after that, and they both happen to be two of my favorite things.) I love guacamole. I like to cut an avocado and put a little salt on it and spoon it right out of the shell. People can ruin an avocado by making in guacamole if they are not careful. I have seen several that I did not like. It is all about texture.

I like to mix chopped avocados, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno without seeds and fresh lemon juice with a little bit of salt for taste. I like it chunky (except for the jalapeno, in fact I usually only put half a jalapeno and finely chop it because they make my mouth itch. It’s more of a pico with avocado than actual guacamole. When I was little my aunt used to make guacamole using cottage cheese, I almost think she used it as a filler, I think that takes away from the avocado itself. Just so you know after I post this, that is what I am going to make for my evening snack. (might even post a picture. I have everything but cilantro which really isn’t necessary.

My food challenge is not about implementing healthy foods. I love healthy foods, I just like sugar too. It is more about what foods to get rid of. At this point I have not denied myself any kind of food as long as I stay under my calorie goal.

The mental challenge: I totally agree that I have gotten to a place where I stopped paying attention, but I can’t say I am completely comfortable with it. So I looked in the mirror and said you can do this. It made me smile I haven’t been whining, so I omitted that part. In fact I have been very excited and motivated about the physical and nutritional challenges. I am well aware of the mental challenges that go with it.

The Physical challenge: Pushups are probably the exercise I struggle with the most, that and planks. I am going to do them every day until you post the next challenge and see if I can progress. I don’t even like girly pushups. I have joint and wrist issues so I usually try to avoid them or do an inclined one. That is where you either do pushups off the wall or a chair. Not as much pressure on knees or wrist. But for this I will do as many as I can the regular way. Not promising much…..13…didn’t go all the way down either. I am Very winded. I wanted to stop at 5 but I pushed myself until my arms collapsed. Looking forward to trying to do more tomorrow, as for now I am going to make me some guacamole, minus the cilantro, I might even post a picture of it if it turns out good.

Thank you and good luck everybody. I am curious to see everyone’s spin on this challenge.
  • LiterateParakeet
    Options
    Sounds great! Thanks for being our fearless leader. :)
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    There aren't too many foods I dislike - it's more about how it's prepared. I like most vegetables as long as they are raw...green beans, cauliflower, broc, carrots, et cetera. I'll eat 'em. I could live without yogurt, but I shovel a cup in now and then because it's supposed to be good for me. I'm not a picky eater - I'm an over eater.

I gave up soda the first of July (talk about an addiction! Whew!), and I'm hangin' fine with that. I'm drinking lots of healthy water and a little tea/coffee as a bonus only.

It's the "stinking" exercise! Now, there's a mind set I need to work on. I've got a garage full of exercise equipment (Total Gym, nice cycling system, treadmill, inversion table, weights, balance ball) - they always look so "fun" in the infomercials. NOT! Where are the good feeling endorphins that folks talk about? Ticks me off - I just feel bored and tired after 10 minutes. BUT, I'm working on this and will post my plan for short term/long term goals.

People can change. I can change! I'm working on it!
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    i'm picky and when i find something i like i will eat it until the well runs dry. it's a problem. i'm trying to add in foods that i have discounted out of hand (possibly) like kale and broccoli. but there's a lot of foods i've run across in ethnic groceries that i have never seen before that maybe i should try. Some of you seem to be fearless with food. I wish i was. i'm trying to be. so i'll be looking to you guys when i run across some weird fruit or veggie to get thumbs up or encouragement to eat it. :bigsmile:

the avocados and broccoli are an example. well, for some they are challenge. i overcame the avocao- it's no one of my staples. i LOOOOOOVE them. broccoli not so much. but this is where you get to modify it for you. :) if you already love every fruit and veggie ever, then i'll have to put on my thinking cap to challenge you. i have to warn you- i'm the creative type.

same with pushups. it's an example (i suck at them, but they are sort of a thorn in my pride. i should be able to do them.) the physical part won't always be pushups. although they are a fantastically good exercise for your entire upper body. but it looks like i'm not the only one with pushups as my trouble spot either. :) so maybe we'll start with that and work our way up.

wtg slim on giving up the soda! that is fantastic. as for the endorphins from exercise- for me they usually kick in after about 20 minutes. especially if i'm listening to music that really gets me revved up. but it really helps you get there if you're doing something you enjoy, or can distract yourself while you're plugging away. (i watch tv with the captions turned on adn listen to my ipod while doing cardio. it's the only time i get to watch cartoons.) it sounds like you've got all the equipment- now try hooking up your distraction. :)

misty your guacamole sounds heavenly. and i am going to be in the grocery tonite. oh i don't know if i can resist. :) that's exactly what i was looking to see on the modifications! that is fantastic. i have a bad shoulder myself so i know how hard it can be. i can get 15 girly pushups and 5 marine (sometimes called dive bomber) pushups (sometimes the marine pushups make my shoulder grind so i'm trying to figure that one out) but the incline pushups are a great place to start building strength especially with issues.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Physical Challenge: I'm really struggling with keeping my workouts consistent and I have yet to add in strength training (despite several promises to myself that I will). My goal this week (so far so good) is to get in 5 days of walk/runs (2 miles minumum) AND work in some weights.

Food Challenge: Eggs. Ugh. Someone suggested I try them in quinoa (which I love). I havent yet, but the week isnt over yet...

Mental Challenge: I need to stop giving myself excuses on why I dont need to workout today. "I didnt eat lunch, so those calories I would have burned havent been eaten...so I dont need to workout today". And so on...
    This week, I set my alarm for 5am and my phone's alarm (located across the room) for 5:15am. Even if I hit "snooze" on my nightstand alarm, I will have to get out of bed to turn off the phone alarm. Since I'm up, I may as well workout. (I set out my workout clothes the night before). So far so good....
  • msandoval74
    Options
    Physical Challenge: Working out in the mornings popping in a Yoga workout DVD or doing Zumba on the Wii plus keeping up with my 30 minute gym workouts at lunch. Lets just say its Weds and I have yet to get up and workout but there is always tomorrow. I keep setting my alarm up 10 extra minutes each day in order to wake up at 5:30am. I am now at 6:00am so tomorrow we shall see. Its a new day right!!!

Food Challenge: I do not like tomatoes or onions so instead I use onion powder and I do cook with onions. I think its the texture but other than that, I will eat just about anything. I might try a tomatoe this week. I did however make homemade salsa on Monday and it has a very tomatoey...(is that a word) flavor. So I am progressing.

Mental Challenge: I talked myself out of going to the gym on my lunch break Monday only because one of my meetings ran over and I thought I could crave my hunger by going to lunch with a friend. And thats when the overeating happened. I should have just ate some almonds and marched my booty across the street to the gym.
  • goodmorningglory
    Options
    Food challenge: No fast food this week. It's simple...drive by NOT drive through. Four weeks straight reward myself with new outfit!!!

Mental challenge: Meditate. Increase relaxation breathing exercises while focusing on positive images of myself. SMILE!!! Short-term goal maintained 4 weeks = relaxation CD!!!

Physical challenge: Cardiac Rehab 3 x's a week and start dancing to Dance 4 on the Wii with my granddaughter. HAVE FUN!!! Maintain 4 weeks for 3 months =weight loss goal of 180 lbs. = been dreaming of trip with my girls!
  • mercurysfire
    Options
    gabybaby- katonaroof gave me some great advice on starting weight training. (i was doing the same thing- ugh not today i'll start tomorrow...excuses excuses. :blushing: ) she told me fake til you make it. even if you aren't enthusiastic about it, make yourself just do it for one day. then the next. then the next. and some days i just DON'T FEEL LIKE IT. so i don't do it. if i can't keep good form, i skip it. i don't want to get injured. but unless i have a good excuse, i get on the weights on gym days. getting going is the hardest part.
  • GabyBaby916
    GabyBaby916 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    gabybaby- katonaroof gave me some great advice on starting weight training. (i was doing the same thing- ugh not today i'll start tomorrow...excuses excuses. :blushing: ) she told me fake til you make it. even if you aren't enthusiastic about it, make yourself just do it for one day. then the next. then the next. and some days i just DON'T FEEL LIKE IT. so i don't do it. if i can't keep good form, i skip it. i don't want to get injured. but unless i have a good excuse, i get on the weights on gym days. getting going is the hardest part.
    I made some steps toward this end over the weekend. I forced myself to sit down and plan out the next four weeks of exercise.

I have a chart of which exercises on which days INCLUDING strength training.
    I then pinned it to the wall in a very prominent place. It looked very blank on Saturday morning, but by the afternoon, I had a few things checked off. I'm a list-maker, and seeing the check marks makes me happy.
    If nothing else, it may just become a point of pride to get all of the boxes marked. :laugh: