Kids and stress eating

Options
inkdm0m
inkdm0m Posts: 21 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Hi all!
I've been a stay at home mom with 4 kiddos...9 yo, 4yo twins, and 3 yo. Every time the kids start screaming and fighting I'm instinctively drawn to my fridge. I'm not even hungry but I am compelled to stuff my face because they are stressing me out so much. Anyone else going through this?
I'm bored but I can't do any of my activities I enjoy (let alone get laundry done!) because they're so young and wild I can't keep my eyes off of them or they get into everything!
I guess I'm just hoping I'm not the only one who feels like a hostage in their home using food as my escape

Replies

• itsallgood803
    itsallgood803 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I tend to eat junk food when I'm stressed out. It's my source of comfort. So having a long exhausting day just makes me want to grab some greasy fast food and chow down. And I feel the same with my kiddos. I have 3, and I can hardly get a moment of peace and quiet let alone do something I enjoy.
  • AYA81035
    AYA81035 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Same here! Stay at home mom to a 9y, 4y, 2y, and 1y. In addition to my husband (with absolutely no weight issues) that comes home late and wants me to stay up a little while with him and snack while watching some TV. Awful! I order snacks from Naturebox, it makes me feel a tiny bit less guilty when grabbing for a snack in the midst of the chaos.
  • TryingtodoitallSUCKS
    Options
    Your post is so true for all of us! I leave at 7:30 AM for work and come home to my 4 y.o. with my 6 y.o. in tow - and the stress of having been at work all day with teenagers - (some really awfully behaved ones) means I really need some down time, but instead I need to be present with my kiddos - which means I will hit the freezer for ice cream to get through whatever it is they want to do. But I just spent an hour with my nutritionist - so tomorrow I'm trying to overcome my meltdown stress eating by getting at least 22 grams of fiber and eating more protein for breakfast and lunch - so that hopefully when I come home at 4:00 I will be strong enough to just eat a handful of nuts . . . while making dinner. Good luck! If this helps, stay out of the pantry! :) and haul those rascals outside.
  • Jazzyfizz90
    Jazzyfizz90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I only have 2 a 9yo and 4 yo and they drive me bonkers but mainly my eldest with ADHD and behaviour issues. I stress and binge eat like badly especially since I gave up smoking and gained so much weight. I just joined on here because I felt like I needed people who understood and are supportive. So you aren't alone that's for sure! I joined a gym but it's hard to go with the kids and I'm trying to do workouts at home. It seems when I exercise I binge less and it definitely lets off steam but I have my bad days like the last 3 days where I have done nothing and had no motivation. There is an app called Blogilates which has some great workouts for home. It's free too! I'd definitely look at that. Also has recipes and all sorts of tips but the range of workouts are amazing and easy to follow
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Youtube has a lot of fitness videos, from pilates to jazzersize! Maybe the kids will join in!
  • emilylittle5494
    emilylittle5494 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I can so relate! I have 5 kids (8,6,5,3,1), and some days I end up binging or overeating due to stress. (Especially now as its school holidays). I like to try and get out of the house some days as if I'm not home, I can't do it. Not always easily done with kids tho!
  • TamsinVerity
    TamsinVerity Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bit late to this party, but I'm with you! I am so conscious of the urge to eat increasing in direct proportion to the chaos levels in the house. One thing which is helping a bit is chewing on gum at times of tension, i.e. making supper for fractious kids and trying not to eat half the meal myself. I could take the gum out and eat, but it gives me a second or two to reflect, works sometimes!