Home Made Fridge Pickle Recipe

Options
blambo61
blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
Seems like pickles are a mainstay here! I love this recipe and can prepare a batch of pickles in a few minutes, ready to eat the next day.

8 larger or to 10 smaller firm, fresh Kirby (pickling) cucumbers (I use 3-large pickles for a pint jar)
3 teaspoons kosher, coarse or pickling salt (if using a featherweight brand such as Diamond, use a little more)
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1/2 cup white vinegar

https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/07/easiest-fridge-dill-pickles/

I like to add garlic and pepper flakes also. I think the only requirement is the vinegar (I use ACV), salt, and cucumbers.

cut the cucumbers thin. The liquid will only cover a small fraction of the cucumbers but as liquid is drawn out of the cucumbers, they will all become submerged.

Replies

• mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I've made fridge pickles in the past and found the white vinegar rather too sharp for my taste. I'll definitely try again but with ACV this time. Thanks.

For folks who like dill pickles but don't want to go the DIY route, I've been buying the Mt. Olive Kosher Dill Petites "Pickle Pak." It's six individual containers, 51 grams each, handy if you're the only person in your household who likes pickles and perfect for take-along.