Fundraiser Menu-Thoughts?

Options
cr8ivewonder
cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
Going to a fundraiser dinner tonight. This is the menu. What I'm thinking I can eat is in brackets.

Appetizer: Chickpea Humus and Muhammara Dip topped with nuts, olive oil , and a rosette of prosciutto with a medley of olives and Naan bread (nuts, prosciutto, olives)

Salad: A Kataifi bowl stuffed with marinated roasted vegetables with olive oil lemon and white balsamic vinaigrette (vegetables)

Soup: Senegalese Peanut Soup (unsure of this)

Main: Stuffed chicken supreme with dates, goat cheese, apricots and walnuts. On the side roasted cauliflower mash and roasted vegetables. Topped off with a port butter reduction. (all sounds good to me)

Dessert: Chai Spiced Cheesecake with chocolate, pecan, and chai spiced sugar. vegan and gluten free with a cashew base. (not at all)

Each course comes with a wine and beer pairing. I think I will indulge in one glass with the main, but skip the rest

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Sounds incredible!! I agree with your choices. I'd probably at least try the soup (isn't it curry-ish?) and just stop if it tastes sweet.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how lowcarb you are, but chickpeas might be ok (they are about a 1:3 protein:carb ratio) unless you are keto and then they are probably out

Senegalese Peanut Soup - most of the recipes I found had about a 1:1.5 protein:carb ratio, and were pretty high in fat, so this might be ok, assuming it's a reasonable size serving

Chai Spiced Cheesecake - a cashew based cheesecake might actually be ok, other than the sugar...most of the recipes I found that were a cashew based cheesecake were 1:1 or 1:1.5 in the protein:carb ratio and nice and high in fat from the cashews.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Perhaps you could unobtrusively fish the dates and apricots out of the chicken?

Sounds like a great event - any tix left?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely have hummus in small quantities. It's got good protein content, and as long as the bread is bypassed, the carb content isn't too awful.

Looking at that soup, I agree, that as long as it isn't sweetened, it should not be too terrible on carbs. You'll get a little from the peanuts, onion, and tomatoes, - and maybe from the coconut milk, but the remaining content of the recipes I saw isn't too bad. And even the carb content of these items is reasonable in portion sizing.

On the main dish, just pull out extra dates/apricots if it seems to sweet.

You might be able to swipe a bite of someone else's dessert if you're dying for it. A single bite, unless you eat EVERYTHING ELSE on the menu probably won't be too bad.

I agree in indulging selectively, but you probably ought to try each course's wine to identify the least sweet options. A single small sip 5 times to figure out which selection is best for you probably won't "screw the pooch." LOL

Sounds like you've made some fabulous plans and contingencies...

But above all, remember that a single meal/day did not get you here, and a single day/meal cannot undo all the progress you've made. :) Even if you decide to indulge more than you've planned, it isn't the end of the universe. Pick yourself up and make the next choice on plan. Simple as that.