Eating more on lift days?

Options
prattiger65
prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
I am getting pretty close to the weight I want to be but I still have bf% of about 19.5. I am considering eating at maintenance on lifting days at my current deficit on off days. I don't have a problem with it taking a little longer to get rid of the spare tire. Any reason to not do this, or any different ideas.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am getting pretty close to the weight I want to be but I still have bf% of about 19.5. I am considering eating at maintenance on lifting days at my current deficit on off days. I don't have a problem with it taking a little longer to get rid of the spare tire. Any reason to not do this, or any different ideas.

If you are close to your goal weight but you are still at a higher bodyfat percentage I would usually suggest that your goal weight wasn't set properly and you should just keep cutting, but I suppose even that advice is somewhat context dependent.

What is your current height and weight please?
  • prattiger65
    Options
    5`11" 176 lbs. I think I agree with you, I just think I will be really thin (except the belly) at 160-165 which is how far I think I would have to go to be sub- 15%. I'm just curious on yours, and any others thoughts. I don't really mind continuing cutting at the same rate., and I guess if I slow the rate down then I'll just slow down the time to that lower weight. Like I said, I'm just curious and thinking out loud.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    5`11" 176 lbs. I think I agree with you, I just think I will be really thin (except the belly) at 160-165 which is how far I think I would have to go to be sub- 15%. I'm just curious on yours, and any others thoughts. I don't really mind continuing cutting at the same rate., and I guess if I slow the rate down then I'll just slow down the time to that lower weight. Like I said, I'm just curious and thinking out loud.

You can post a pic if you'd like to get specific feedback, but just looking at your stats, I wouldn't be at all concerned with you cutting further. I'd check what you look like at 170 and 165 and go from there, IMO.

I think attempting to do a recomp especially assuming you've been lifting weights for a while, is a potential recipe for wheel spinning. You can still make progress but you're not going to get the immediate reward that cutting/bulking may provide.
  • prattiger65
    Options

You can post a pic if you'd like to get specific feedback, but just looking at your stats, I wouldn't be at all concerned with you cutting further. I'd check what you look like at 170 and 165 and go from there, IMO.

I think attempting to do a recomp especially assuming you've been lifting weights for a while, is a potential recipe for wheel spinning. You can still make progress but you're not going to get the immediate reward that cutting/bulking may provide.

Fair enough. I have been lifting for about 4 months, not too long. I am not dissatisfied with my results so far. I'm convinced, I will keep doing what I'm doing and will keep an eye on the bf%. Thanks for the advice.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking so we can track active threads. Please PM either myself or SideSteel to reopen is you have further questions, and include a link to this thread.
This discussion has been closed.