Raspberry ketones for holiday ketosis support?

Options
fran_iam
fran_iam Posts: 5 Member
Hi all my brother is getting married in Thailand in may so I'll be spending 2 weeks there with my husband and kids. I'm planning on packing some protein bars and pork crackle snacks and making the best choices I can. But, I know that sometimes the tropical fruits, noodles and rice are going to be part of my day as well as some alcohol. I will want to balance my weight loss goals with having a good time and being part of the experience. SO, my question is will raspberry ketones help me remain in ketosis with a higher daily carb intake? Has anyone used it for this purpose? Or some other supplement (that won't look like cocaine at the border haha)?

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Chris Masterjohn PHD (www.chrismasterjohnphd.com) quoted some research in one of his podcasts that discussed getting I think it was 20% of a meal's calories from MCT/liquid coconut oil even when high carb to maintain nutritional ketosis. He was talking about the fact that you could actually eat a pile of pasta if you supplemented with enough MCT oil to provide the natural ketones you needed to maintain it. It was I want to say #24 or #26 of the "Daily Lipid" Podcast, which was something about keto not just being about the fat or something.

Okay, so it was bothering me to give you that much "maybe" info, so I went and looked it up...

It is this one: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/07/28/ketogenesis-isnt-all-about-carbs-and-insulin/

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/07/28/ketogenesis-isnt-all-about-carbs-and-insulin/

The opening sentence: Did you know that adding MCT oil to your pasta is more ketogenic than restricting your carbohydrates to ten percent of calories?

I don't know if you can get MCT oil there, but I would think you can mail some to your brother's family from your home unless it us a restricted item. The main focus is that it needs to include Capric and Caprylic fatty acids over the Lauric acid, which is present in MCT oil, but the balance is difference in coconut oil (Coconut is higher in the Lauric, lower in the Capric and Caprylic). The Caprylic one is the one that goes straight to brain fuel without requiring conversion...

Hope this helps, @fran_iam
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @RalfLott - For the bolded quote above...did you listen to this podcast yet? It was the one that got me fired up.
  • fran_iam
    fran_iam Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh wow! Thanks a million for this info and looking stuff up. At this stage I'm still in New Zealand I just wanted to be well prepared. I will listen to this and be careful to order the right stuff. Thanks again
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @RalfLott - For the bolded quote above...did you listen to this podcast yet? It was the one that got me fired up.

I haven't, but I'll queue it up.

To be honest, if I see certain words, like "pasta" or "bread", I zone out and start yawning, almost as though I'd actually eaten the bloody stuff.....

It would seem that if your ketone levels are up because you consumed them from exogenous sources, that shouldn't get you off the hook for disposing of dietary carbs, which in my case means BG spikes.

No question, though, that MCT oil increases my blood ketones. And I seem to recall that Terry Wahls, in addition to Chris Masterjohn, recommends MCT oil for nutritional ketosis. So I guess I'll have to dig into it....

Thanks for the tip!

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @RalfLott - I agree about the blood sugar spikes, for those sensitive to such, and I've not been able to consume the necessary percentage without digestive distress (I'm particularly sensitive - and it takes a while to build up tolerance to the levels needed here), but I sincerely wonder if by providing the brain a direct source or ketones, if it would also improve insulin sensitivity and response? I have heard of coconut oil doing that in some folks...

Dr. Masterjohn didn't delve into that in this podcast, but...food for thoughts.

Also, as clarification, the comment about using MCT being more Ketogenic than carb reduction, I think he meant specifically as far as maintaining nutritional ketosis, not necessarily as far as health or fat adaption or other keto benefits. I know most of us tend to lump things altogether when we use the term keto, but for me, I'd rather be fat adapted, and somethings drop in and out of nutritional ketosis levels, than keep specific levels of NK and NOT be fat adapted. There was a bigger benefit to my health from the FA than the NK...