If you haven't tried Joseph's Lavash bread yet, you need to.

SisalKeenly
SisalKeenly Posts: 10 Member
It's a soft, pliable flat bread. It comes in big sheets with a half a sheet being a serving size and plenty big enough for a good sized wrap. You can also toast it in the oven to make it crunchy.

One serving has 8 grams of carbs and 4 grams of fiber, so only 4 grams of carbohydrates per serving. It makes meal planning for work so much easier, and serves as an excellent delivery system for nut butters. I'm seriously not sure I could do keto without it.

I'd love to hear your lavash bread recipes if you have them.

(And no one is paying me for this endorsement.)

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Remember that that 4 net grams of carbs is only for HALF of the flatbread. I don't do any specific recipes with them, but I do like using them to make crackers by cutting with a pizza wheel, brushing with oil or fat of choice, salting, the baking at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes, until browned. They burn quickly, so watch, because oven temperatures vary.

Personally, I don't like using the wraps for burritos, as I've always been an over-stuffer, and the wraps will tear. I'd rather use the Pitas (with flax) for something like that, though I have made panini style grilled cheese flats on my George Foreman grill.

I also cut the wraps into 4 or 8 pieces, and make "pizza" on them. Cheese, then "dotted" with sauce, meat, at 350-7-15 minutes (7-10 is usually my sweet spot), remove from oven, top with grated parm to soak up the fatty goodness, and enjoy. You can fold them (hot pocket style), roll them up like a pizza burrito, or use a fork/knife, etc.

Just be careful, as not all the types are gluten free, and that's an issue for some folks more than other. I find these in my Walmart near the deli or in the bread aisle near the tortillas. You can also buy them online, as I've never see ALL of the different types at WM.

Personally, I'm not much of a nut butter person, as I have a severe dislike of peanut butter, and I'm just now starting to use almond and cashew butters. What do you do with your nut butter on the wrap??
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Do these stall weight loss?
  • KnitOrMiss
    @mjj79 - I personally have not experienced a stall from them, but I take care to not eat more than one or so a day. That being said, your own reaction to something like this is VERY individual. You'll need to experiment yourself.
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    is this made, or bought? probably wont have these up in Canada
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited April 2017
    It is a brand name. I've not looked for them in Canada specifically, but I know they can be purchased online, so I would say it is worth a look. In general, most types of "lavash" bread are lowER carb and generally gluten free due to the way they are made. It is considered a Kosher food, which is Jewish, and so you might find them in specialty markets, too. That being said, I know that "Joseph's" brand has different variations, like oat and flax seed, etc., so not all forms may be kosher. I haven't investigated.
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    I know this was posted a while ago, but this bread sounds awesome. I have passed on all grains the past month, but this is probably something I would like to incorporate in the future. Half a piece with a little almond butter, a couple pieces of lunchmeat on the side, and my black tea with half and half sounds like a great start to the day? Breakfast seems to be my most challenging meal of the day. I rarely feel like hitting the ground cooking something. 3 kids here, mornings can be busy. Any thoughts on adding a half piece of bread daily? It seems like a lot since I have been grainfree... I guess I can just try it and see how I feel.
  • KnitOrMiss
    If you aren't eating any grains now at all, I'd probably not do it...look for something in almond flour or psyllium husks or so... Grains mess up a lot!

I have recently been doing meat, cheese, and plain greek yogurt doctored simply.