Relying on melatonin

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
The past couple weeks I've had to take melatonin to fall asleep. Is this diet related? Has anyone else had trouble sleeping at night?

Replies

• motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm naturally a night owl & have always had issues with going to sleep when I should. But given that fact.... Yes, I did notice that I had an even harder time than usual (especially during the first month or so of starting keto) with falling asleep at a decent time. I felt like I could (and did) stay up all night long many times, unintentionally -even when I had work in the morning. It sucked. Fortunately, I think that phase(?) has finally passed for me. Not sure if others have noticed something similar through their journey, or not though.

Looking back however, I kind of wonder if maybe the underlying cause of this sleep issue (at least for me) was possibly due to my extreme interest & quest for more & more information regarding keto. When I get interested in something, I have a very bad habit of getting REALLY interested in that specific thing -like to the point that I research nearly non-stop, almost obsessively to where it's almost all that I focus on all day & night. Similar thing happened just a few years ago when I first got into the stock market -lots of lost sleep back then too. I guess you could say that my problem was maybe insomnia due to self inflicted information overload lol.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I normally sleep better, but I also take my magnesium at night. I think it helps.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use a topical magnesium at night to help with sleep, particularly if I have any crampy, uncomfortable muscles, it makes them relax right away and that always helps me sleep.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I find I go to sleep later now. I need a bit less sleep. It is odd.
    I'm naturally a night owl & have always had issues with going to sleep when I should. But given that fact.... Yes, I did notice that I had an even harder time than usual (especially during the first month or so of starting keto) with falling asleep at a decent time. I felt like I could (and did) stay up all night long many times, unintentionally -even when I had work in the morning. It sucked. Fortunately, I think that phase(?) has finally passed for me. Not sure if others have noticed something similar through their journey, or not though.

Looking back however, I kind of wonder if maybe the underlying cause of this sleep issue (at least for me) was possibly due to my extreme interest & quest for more & more information regarding keto. When I get interested in something, I have a very bad habit of getting REALLY interested in that specific thing -like to the point that I research nearly non-stop, almost obsessively to where it's almost all that I focus on all day & night. Similar thing happened just a few years ago when I first got into the stock market -lots of lost sleep back then too. I guess you could say that my problem was maybe insomnia due to self inflicted information overload lol.

You're in good company around here. ;):D
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    The past couple weeks I've had to take melatonin to fall asleep. Is this diet related? Has anyone else had trouble sleeping at night?

@hmikkola92 - Melatonin naturally ticks up at night. If you're having problems with sleeping, I'd check on some other aspects, too.

Yes, Keto does provide more usable energy and it does often change sleep patterns for a while...BUT.

You should get the brightest light possible (sunlight if you can) as soon as you can upon waking. 15-30 minutes. Assuming this is around 6-7 am, you should then get direct light exposure again sometime between 12-2 pm, 15-30 minutes, as much uncovered skin as possible. This naturally increases your cortisol levels, which increases wakefulness. When you have any stimuli or light, etc. after that time, it makes it really hard for your body to taper down the cortisol, which is required for the natural uptick of melatonin to start, which would naturally make you more tired around 9-10 pm.

That all being said, make sure if you're taking D3/K2 that you take it in the morning or BY that second time stage. Taking it at night will interfere with sleep. It's called the sunshine vitamin for a reason.

Also, some forms of magnesium to encourage sleep, and that can be paired with bed time, since 90% of the first world population is magnesium deficient.

Good luck!

P.S. More vivid, chaotic, and "real feeling" dreams are also noted on Keto for some folks.

P.P.S. Melatonin helps you fall asleep, L-Theanine helps you STAY asleep. If the latter is a factor, look for a pill that has a combination.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I will concur with the magnesium suggestion.

I would also suggest 3 things that may work better. First is get at least a few minutes of natural light exposure in the morning. Second is get at least 15-20 minutes outside between the hours of 10am and 3 pm. Third is do not use any handheld electronics (i.e. your smart phone or tablet) and any computers for the last 60-90 minutes before going to bed. If you do want to/need to use these devices, get some blue blocker glasses.

These will help your circadian rhythm immensely. These are the things I have personally done which have helped me go from averaging barely over 5 hours a night to over 6 1/2 hours a night according to my fitbit but only spending about 30-40 more minutes in bed. Most of the gain has been from falling asleep faster and not waking up or even getting restless throughout the night.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    They say lack of sleep/insomnia is not conducive to effective weight loss. I do suffer from insomnia. Man, I hate it... but I find that following this new and improved lifestyle, I too, am sleeping fewer hours... I feel a bit dozy come 2pm or so, though... Siesta time... but I think that's in my blood. Being Italian, I think this is a natural tendency for us I-Ties.... :D
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @AlexandraCarlyle - If you note what both @cstehansen and I mentioned above about circadian rhythms, you'll find that your natural wakeful hormone, cortisol tapers at that time (any time from 12 pm on, unless you're up crazy early daily). Because of this normal taper, melatonin production also kicks in. If you aren't crashing from your meal, your natural rhythms are causing this drop. Try to get a boost of sunlight on your lunch break, if possible, even if you just eat lunch outside or something. I bet, over time, this might help that natural "dozy" feel, which is 100% normal for ALL people who don't spend a good bit out of doors, not just Italians. :)
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I will try everything you've mentioned. It's not like it's a big deal but I'm kind of obsessed with not having to rely on pills for anything (besides my hashimoto's lol). I just don't like it, but when it's 1am and you're still not asleep, and you have a 7 month old getting up at 7am... It's no fun!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I was awake tossing and turning when you posted originally and was too urked at being awake to reply. I hope you find your answer.

Not being able to sleep is not a common problem for me but it sure was that night. For me, eating keto seems to have improved my slumber. I also take my magnesium before bedtime and am currently thinking that while I prefer the price of the mag citrate I am currently taking, I will switch back to the chelated mag glycinate I took previously. I "feel" it was more effective in the same dose. I'll find out when I switch back.

Generally speaking, if you (or others reading) are caffeine users whether it be tea, coffee, sodas, chocolate, etc you might want to consider the the caffeine as being disruptive. I've been "caffeine free" since 2000 and while I am not a no-caffeine zealot, as a non user I have experienced a few occasions where I had it in some fashion so was able to feel very unpleasant effects directly related to caffeine use: (racing heart, mild nauseousness, inability to fall asleep). There is reason many use it to "stay awake".
  • debbiebondklein
    debbiebondklein Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have had problems falling asleep since I started the low carb diet. I'm going to talk to my Doc about it in a few weeks.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    I'm scared to cut out caffeine because I really truly feel like I need it and I also really enjoy it. I feel like once I give up cigarettes I'll have nothing left! Lol. Perhaps I'm not doing enough in the day too. I have so much more energy and I'm not really using it. Went to the gym today so maybe I'll be tired tonight.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Chew tobacco? (2 birds, 1 stone!)
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Omg so gross! :s
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I was out in the sunshine literally all day today and I feel like I'm in a major mood high! Nothing beats the feeling of sun on your skin!
    :)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with the magnesium. Since I've started taking it I've been sleeping a lot better. I'm also having a lot more dreams, but there you go. A walk in the sun is definitely energizing.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Only if you are really talented with the 'spit' after the 'chaw' >:)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »

Only if you are really talented with the 'spit' after the 'chaw' >:)

*assparagus* I need to practice....