New to Keto/LCD Diet -- Looking to connect with fellow Keto/LCD dieters

Andresito
Andresito Posts: 9 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Hi there --

My name is Andrés, and I'm experimenting with the ketogenic diet per my doctor's recommendations. I'd like to connect with others who currently are or have been on this diet before to exchange meal ideas, exercise and related tips, and, overall, to build a network to motivate one another.

I'm interested in hearing from those who have managed to lose weight while building muscle mass at the same time. Perhaps this isn't possible for everyone with this diet plan, but I'm sure some have managed to do so. If so, I'd like to hear their strategies to achieve their goals. As of now, I'm having most of my fats (66% out of 1308 calories) between breakfast and lunch, and proteins (28%) and carbs (6%) during lunch and dinner. The reason for this approach is that I need more energy in the mornings to hit the treadmill and lift weights. The only problem, however, is that I tend to crash from time to time after having such a large breakfast full of coconut oil, cheese, bacon, or other fatty foods. Any suggestions to avoid this effect? In the same vein, since I like to grab a snack in between meals, are there any protein bars or powder that you recommend that is Keto friendly?

Also, is it necessary to purchase a ketosis/glucose meter? Aside from that option, what is the best way to determine if you have achieved ketosis?

Thanks in advance --- feel free to drop a line and any suggestions you have.

Cheers,
Andrés

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Tagging @Gallowmere1984 for you.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Given that I do not know the reason for your macro outlay, and the fact that you are seeing a doctor, take anything that I say for what it is: my own n=1 experience, and not necessarily recommendations.

I ran a much higher protein intake than most keto dieters do. I set mine to 2g/lbs. LBM, and used that as half of my intake. The other 50% was mostly fats, with some trace carbs involved. I ate a buttload of whey protein, eggs, ground beef, chicken thighs, wings, salmon and sardines. This not only made for a guarantee that I was never short on aminos, the TEF and massive satiety of such a high protein intake made caloric compliance a breeze.

As for training: I was lifting 6x/week, alternating days that had a foundation in each of the primary compound lifts. It looked something like heavy deadlift, light overhead, light squat, heavy bench, light deadlift, heavy overhead, rest day, heavy squat, light bench, repeat ad nauseum.

Keep in mind though, when I say heavy, I mean doubles and singles. The light days were the 5-6 rep range. Also, not many can keep up with a schedule like this. I had burned my ex-wife out within a month.

I cut from 265 to 190 in this fashion over a period of about seven months, all the while getting much stronger. I was pulling 455 for doubles within six months of starting out. However, deadlift has always been my strong suit, and my squat and bench still sucked *kitten*.