JAMA calling US dietary guidelines to the carpet

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
http://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2564564

One more condemnation of these. Maybe in 20-30 years the government will finally have to give in because everyone in the country will know the current guidelines are crap.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I take it 20 - 30 years is a conservative estimate....? ;)
    Maybe we as the paying public can sway public information more steadily, in the meantime....
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    Maybe we as the paying public can sway public information more steadily, in the meantime....

yes, we are the paying public, but the power of our purse-strings are nothing compared to the power of the lobbyists purse-strings... and they are the ones that are writing the majority of these guidelines.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

yes, we are the paying public, but the power of our purse-strings are nothing compared to the power of the lobbyists purse-strings... and they are the ones that are writing the majority of these guidelines.

The broader the truth is in the public, the more we are able to make change by buying the products that truly are healthy thus motivating companies to give us what we want. We can make a difference. It will just take a lot more of us.

I love being a Texan in most ways. The one downside is food. Because there is a push to live up to "everything is bigger in Texas," getting grass fed meat is more difficult. To get just about any animal bigger (fatter) requires feeding them grain.

On the flip side, a bill just passed the TX senate unanimously and is heading to the TX house making it illegal for any municipality to ban having chickens. They will only be able to limit the number. So guess who will be getting some backyard chickens!!!!!!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Great article @cstehansen

I think there is positive movement both on the food and also the supplement.

A gentleman about my age was at Walmart last night looking for Vitamin K7 he said to help prevent cancer. That was a new one on me so I googled it and learned a lot of "new" uses for K2 MK7 which is what is in the WM Spring Valley brand.

nutritionbreakthroughs.com/blog/2016/06/24/vitamin-k2-the-top-5-benefits-of-a-missing-link-to-health/
    Vitamin K2: The Top 5 Benefits of a Missing Link to Health

A blip from the end of the detailed article:

"The evidence also suggests vitamin K2 may reduce the risk for a type of lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes). Mayo Clinic researchers discovered that people with the highest intake of vitamin K2 had a 45 percent lower risk for this type of cancer, compared to those with the lowest vitamin K2 intake. They attribute this effect to vitamin K2’s ability to inhibit inflammatory cytokines, which are related to this type of lymphoma, and its role the life cycle of your cells. Researchers are also looking into other health benefits.

For example:

Vitamin K2 has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity; people who get the most vitamin K2 from their foods are about 20 percent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes
    One 2012 study found vitamin K2 has the potential to improve disease activity in those with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
    Another study, found that vitamin K2 serves as an electron carrier for the energy producing portion of our cells, thereby helping maintain normal ATP production (ATP is the energy factory in our cells) and preventing dysfunction, such as that found in Parkinson’s disease
    According to Dr. Holick’s paper, vitamin K2 has anti-inflammatory,
    anti-oxidative, and anticarcinogenic properties, and in addition to cancer and diabetes, MK-7 in particular may also offer benefits for age-related macular degeneration in the eyes...."

Thanks to the internet I think the good side is outweighing the negative side if old men are showing up at WM to buy Vitamin K2 MK-7. :) I was there to see if they carried Pycnogenol in the store and the answer was no at this time and the same at Walgreens but they have it online.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Great article @cstehansen

I think there is positive movement both on the food and also the supplement.

A gentleman about my age was at Walmart last night looking for Vitamin K7 he said to help prevent cancer. That was a new one on me so I googled it and learned a lot of "new" uses for K2 MK7 which is what is in the WM Spring Valley brand.

nutritionbreakthroughs.com/blog/2016/06/24/vitamin-k2-the-top-5-benefits-of-a-missing-link-to-health/
    Vitamin K2: The Top 5 Benefits of a Missing Link to Health

A blip from the end of the detailed article:

"The evidence also suggests vitamin K2 may reduce the risk for a type of lymphoma (cancer of the lymph nodes). Mayo Clinic researchers discovered that people with the highest intake of vitamin K2 had a 45 percent lower risk for this type of cancer, compared to those with the lowest vitamin K2 intake. They attribute this effect to vitamin K2’s ability to inhibit inflammatory cytokines, which are related to this type of lymphoma, and its role the life cycle of your cells. Researchers are also looking into other health benefits.

For example:

Vitamin K2 has been shown to improve insulin sensitivity; people who get the most vitamin K2 from their foods are about 20 percent less likely to develop type 2 diabetes
    One 2012 study found vitamin K2 has the potential to improve disease activity in those with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)
    Another study, found that vitamin K2 serves as an electron carrier for the energy producing portion of our cells, thereby helping maintain normal ATP production (ATP is the energy factory in our cells) and preventing dysfunction, such as that found in Parkinson’s disease
    According to Dr. Holick’s paper, vitamin K2 has anti-inflammatory,
    anti-oxidative, and anticarcinogenic properties, and in addition to cancer and diabetes, MK-7 in particular may also offer benefits for age-related macular degeneration in the eyes...."

Thanks to the internet I think the good side is outweighing the negative side if old men are showing up at WM to buy Vitamin K2 MK-7. :) I was there to see if they carried Pycnogenol in the store and the answer was no at this time and the same at Walgreens but they have it online.

Thanks for this article. My research has gotten me much more diligent in getting my wife and daughter healthy. K2 and D are both vitamins where I think they may be deficient which we know is not good for bone health. Given my MIL has severe osteoporosis, this is especially concerning for my wife and daughter. Fortunately for me, this is one of the many micronutrients for which I was tested late last year and I was well above what was indicated as the reference range for K2 - 47 compared to reference >30.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I did not know they were testing for K2 levels. From what I read one can not seem to OD on K2? Is that what you are reading?
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Thanks. I did not know they were testing for K2 levels. From what I read one can not seem to OD on K2? Is that what you are reading?

From my understanding the only issue is if you have excessive clotting. I know my dad has to be careful because he has had a couple of instances of blood clots including a double pulmonary embolism so he has been on blood thinners for the last 16 years.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Great Ivor Cummins vid on Vitamin D (also features co-conspirators K2 and Calcium).

https://youtu.be/v3pK0dccQ38
  • trish55011
    trish55011 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Morning! Thanks for the info on K2, I like to think I have a pretty good knowledge of vitamins and supplements, but I have never heard of K2. Will definitely have Dr. check levels at my next appt. Friday.