Backyard chickens

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
We have legislation moving through the Texas legislature that will forbid municipalities from banning backyard chickens. I have been buying my eggs from a lady at work for a while now. By this time next year, I may be walking out to my backyard to get my eggs depending on how soon I can get things set up. Woohoo!

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/texas-legislature/2017/04/05/plano-senator-cries-fowl-overcity-laws-banning-backyard-chickens

I have a 1/3 acre with a large backyard that has a wood privacy fence. I also have a shed that I was going to be tearing down as it has been replaced. I may just convert it to a coop.

Just had to share for any others in Texas who may be benefiting from this change.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    How exciting! We've had chickens for a few years now and love them.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    fresh eggs are the best!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends who illegally raise chickens in my city. Not allowing backyard chickens seems like such a ridiculous law. They claim noise is the issue... when half the people around me have dogs and the smell of thawing backyards is pretty noticeable right now. :D

I'm jealous. I'd love to have chickens...
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    My daughter raises chickens for 4h and came in the other evening all excited about this. We live in WV, lol.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I have muscovy ducks...they don't quack, the males hiss and the females coo like pigeons...and the eggs are so delicious!!! Plus, one of my friends raises chickens and gives me excess eggs!!!

I am zoned agricultural, so don't really have to deal with the regulations issue, but I agree that most poultry is way less smelly and noisy than the average dog.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I looked into backyard chickens here at one point, and found I live in one of only six (!) cities in Ontario (or was it Canada) that allows them.

Even at that, there's a lot of regulations. Two maximum, with a coop so-many-feet away from any residential structure, etc. etc. In the end I dropped the idea; it seemed more trouble than it's worth for the number of eggs I actually eat.

I do think it's ridiculous though that they have such tight regulations on this sort of thing. It's like they don't want people to be able to grow their own food.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    I have muscovy ducks...they don't quack, the males hiss and the females coo like pigeons...and the eggs are so delicious!!! Plus, one of my friends raises chickens and gives me excess eggs!!!

I am zoned agricultural, so don't really have to deal with the regulations issue, but I agree that most poultry is way less smelly and noisy than the average dog.

I just had duck eggs for the first time the week before last. I got them from the same lady from whom I get my chicken eggs. If they were as readily available and inexpensive, I would switch completely over. They have a better fat/protein ratio, fluff better when scrambled, and are even more nutrient dense. Unfortunately, ducks are not included in the new legislation.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Regulations about animals (of any kind) in suburban neighborhoods never make much sense until you put your own home up for sale. Not every prospective buyer is happy to find a DIY farm yard next door. When you're talking about the value of what for most of us is far and away our most valuable asset, things get tricky.
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I live in agricultural area so I grew up with chickens in back yards... but it only made me grossed out by eggs for years lol Now as long as I don't think to hard where they come from I enjoy them a lot lol #firstworldproblems
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Regulations about animals (of any kind) in suburban neighborhoods never make much sense until you put your own home up for sale. Not every prospective buyer is happy to find a DIY farm yard next door. When you're talking about the value of what for most of us is far and away our most valuable asset, things get tricky.

I think you are correct in this assessment. This is also quite variable depending on where you live. Texas is still pretty agricultural minded - even in the cities - so the only people that really seem to be put off by this are those moving here from elsewhere. I think there are probably less than 10-15% of Texans who would be put off by having chickens in the neighborhood. At least twice that many would look at it as a benefit because it could be a source for eggs for them if they get in good with that neighbor.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I recently corrected the boys that no, chickens don't "poop" out eggs we're not eating chicken poop. I let them know we're eating chicken babies.

parenting win. :lol:
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    If you really want to annoy the neighbors I recommend turkeys. We currently have three that were bought for 4h. We didn't realize no one in our area processes turkeys unless they grow them themselves so they're with us for the duration. They make lots of noise and occasionally produce a very large egg that is tasty but tougher than chicken eggs. I originally said no ducks but I'm being worn down because I have not willpower when both daughters and the husband give me "the look." A house near where I live has peacocks. They don't make a lot of noise but what they do make will startle years off your life. I should mention that while we live in an area with a lot of houses we're not in the city limits. I understand from my daughter the city is more strict about poultry.

FWIW, I've had human neighbors that were louder than our birds.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I used to live in my local city, but was in a house with about an acre of land that bordered farmland pasture. We had 30 chickens but not for eggs - raised them for meat. Once, lol, because I wanted to try country living after we moved here from the BIG CITY (apartment). I also used to can and grow a garden when we first moved here, but now I have too many friends with extra canning (it's a hobby ?!) and overabundant gardens. Now I live in a rural district and there are several egg farms down the road from us where I can get double yolkers for half the regular cheap farm-gate price since they can't sell them to the stores. What kind of chickens are you thinking of @cstehansen? I do like a nice friendly chicken - Cochins because they are so fluffy and Sebrights because they are gorgeous banties. But no good for eggs or meat really.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    I used to live in my local city, but was in a house with about an acre of land that bordered farmland pasture. We had 30 chickens but not for eggs - raised them for meat. Once, lol, because I wanted to try country living after we moved here from the BIG CITY (apartment). I also used to can and grow a garden when we first moved here, but now I have too many friends with extra canning (it's a hobby ?!) and overabundant gardens. Now I live in a rural district and there are several egg farms down the road from us where I can get double yolkers for half the regular cheap farm-gate price since they can't sell them to the stores. What kind of chickens are you thinking of @cstehansen? I do like a nice friendly chicken - Cochins because they are so fluffy and Sebrights because they are gorgeous banties. But no good for eggs or meat really.

Not sure on the breed yet. We have some good friends who have had chickens for about a dozen years who are more than happy to help us. I still have some prep work to do to be ready for them. Realistically, I am shooting for this time next year. My garden is limited to only peppers, zucchini and basil this year (about 1/4 of full size) because we are STILL dealing with issues around the big hail storm of 4/11/2016. Damage to our house, fence, shed were similar to a small tornado because of the 70 mph winds driving softball size hail through windows roof and in some spots even through the ceiling.

Lord willing, the plan is by next year to have my full size garden and the chickens. That will be awesome.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    duck eggs here are only $1 more per dozen than chicken eggs - given that when baking and cooking I use 2/3 less duck eggs, it's actually cheaper than buying chicken eggs since they last longer...not that I really pay for eggs since I have ducks and get chicken eggs free, but just as a general observation.

I actually BOUGHT white chicken eggs at costco for easter so I would have something to color, and something not as fresh and not a giant pain in the booty to peel. I can't remember the last time I paid for eggs...probably like January when the chickens and ducks weren't laying as much...
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    Sebrights are easy prey for a variety of predators. My daughter learned this the hard way recently when the ones she was raising for show were killed. They were in their pen, there were no holes that we can find, and we still aren't sure what got them. Most likely a weasel since they weren't actually eaten. Something to keep in mind. They also produce teeny little eggs, somewhat larger than a robin's egg (excellent for BPC, though :smile: ). Brahma (Sp?) chickens tend to be friendlier and produce eggs closer to what you see in the grocery store. For meat you want broiler chickens, but be prepared to have them processed every 4 months or so.
  • cstehansen
    Options
    Sebrights are easy prey for a variety of predators. My daughter learned this the hard way recently when the ones she was raising for show were killed. They were in their pen, there were no holes that we can find, and we still aren't sure what got them. Most likely a weasel since they weren't actually eaten. Something to keep in mind. They also produce teeny little eggs, somewhat larger than a robin's egg (excellent for BPC, though :smile: ). Brahma (Sp?) chickens tend to be friendlier and produce eggs closer to what you see in the grocery store. For meat you want broiler chickens, but be prepared to have them processed every 4 months or so.

I believe brahma was one of the breeds we discussed. None will be raised for meat (unfortunately) because my wife and daughter would leave me if I did that.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    edited April 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I believe brahma was one of the breeds we discussed. None will be raised for meat (unfortunately) because my wife and daughter would leave me if I did that.

Maybe, lol. When my daughter first started with the chickens she was staunchly against butchering them. Then she ended up with a very mean (albet very beautiful) rooster who gave her a nice cut in her leg. Suddenly she was ok with it :smiley: . Broilers are raised specifically for meat. According to my daughter that's what we typically get from stores and restaurants. I'm okay with them being processed, but I don't want to do it. My daughters and their 4h friends did get a hands-on lesson in processing last year. Brahma roosters are big and beautiful, and I'm told they're docile.

Edited to add, the mean rooster was re-homed with a nice elderly couple. We didn't eat him.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    We had Barred Rocks. If I kept chickens as pets it would be Sebrights because they are gorgeous, not because they are 'useful', lol. That is too bad the show birds died, LC4Me. It takes a lot of love and patience to raise show animals, you can get pretty involved...
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    Options
    They were beautiful, for sure. And she was pretty upset about them.