Question about resetting.

Options
hmikkola92
hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
So I've been stuck at the same weight for almost a month. It's really annoying me because I'm sticking to this very strictly. Anyways, I read online and some people suggested a reset, or refeed? I don't want to eat stuff that will make me feel like crap or make me gain water weight.
So should I just make today a day that I eat more calories than usual but still following keto? I'm usually eating around 1200 calories a day. And I plan to eat that amount soon for lunch, 2 sausages and a pork chop. Then I'll eat more later obviously.
Yay or nay? Any suggestions?

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I think re-feed usually pertains to eating at calorie maintenance. Its used sometimes to heal the metabolism. If I can mention it, you might look at the Eat More 2 Weigh Less group. They're heavier carb, but they talk about higher calories and re-feeds a lot.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Eating at maintenance is good for my sanity, and it does usually make me lose weight the first few days weirdly enough...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I was posting about being stalled all the while this was happening...
    ykf1w32bmawi.jpg

I've been the same weight this whole time and never cheat and eat zero carb on a 18/6 or greater IF plan. I don't track regularly but when I do for the sake of double checking, I seem to eat barely below maintenance.

Have you seen the thread discussing white fat turning into brown fat? This happens and your body shrinks and becomes more thermogenic which is good but you don't lose any scale weight. Also, sometimes the empty fat cells just sit there filled with water expecting to be refilled with fat because that's all they know from our past eating ways.

Hang in there. I tried everything and asked everyone a million times how to break a stall. Not realizing I was losing bodyfat the entire time.
    I did egg fasts. Fat fasts. Extended fasts. Ate more vegetables, less vegetables.... replaced lunch with low carb protein shakes... probably other stuff I can't think of.
    Not one thing made the scale move.
    But fat was going away. Most likely turning to brown fat too.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I really think you are not eating enough. 1200 calories is low enough it may be making your body go into storage mode because it thinks there is danger of starvation. Our bodies are geared toward a homeostatic state. If you body thinks it is going to starve, it will slow your metabolism. If you stay in that state too long, that slower metabolism will become permanent as in the biggest loser studies.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @hmikkola92 - I would bet you're far too close to your carb addiction (I remember the apple fritter days...) to endanger yourself with the relapse a high-carb binge/reset/refeed might trigger.

Don't be so ambitious in your rate of weight loss that you set your calories too low for your current weight, and stay the course, as @cstehansen and @Sunny_Bunny_ have suggested.

As you can read on hundreds of threads here, time, patience, and consistency are your best partners; impatience, long-term unsustainable diets, and abrupt changes are your enemies.
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going out to the keg for dinner and, as you can imagine, my protein is higher than fat today. Debating on eating sausages later to help add fat, but going over in calories. Right now I'm stuffed
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't need to be higher than protein. When you're talking in ratios, reading statements like "fat should be double protein or higher than protein INCLUDE the portion of bodyfat you estimate your calorie deficit to provide toward your TDEE. So you're dietary ratios are usually closer to even (1:1 often for weight loss) by grams, but they're not even by calories.
    But if you get hungry for real, eat.
    tqmmp7kdf1ed.png
  • RalfLott
    Options
    hmikkola92 wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. I ended up going out to the keg for dinner and, as you can imagine, my protein is higher than fat today. Debating on eating sausages later to help add fat, but going over in calories. Right now I'm stuffed

I am completely baffled as to why you're thinking of choking down sausages if you're over on calores, desperate to lose weight, and feeling stuffed. ??
  • hmikkola92
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    hmikkola92 wrote: »

I am completely baffled as to why you're thinking of choking down sausages if you're over on calores, desperate to lose weight, and feeling stuffed. ??

Because I was worried about not having enough fat. I'm not eating them lol. And because I wanted to see what eating more calories for one day would do. I would be over my 1000 calorie deficit, but not even close to my TDEE
  • RalfLott
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ has some good insights for you on including the body fat you will burn if you're keto-adapted and don't get enough dietary fat to match your TDEE,