Fenugreek to lower BG

cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
One of the supplements I have been using lately to help with BG is Fenugreek based on some research showing benefit. It is one of a few I have been using since the beginning of April and my BG (fasting and PP) is down a few points so I have started digging in to find more data on those I am using and wanted to share this study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4591578/

key quote in the conclusion:
Dietary supplementation of 10 g Fenugreek/day in prediabetes subjects was associated with lower conversion to diabetes with no adverse effects and beneficial possibly due to its decreased insulin resistance.

The 10 g was done as 5 g twice a day with meals. The supplement I am using is only 610 mg, which means to do the amount from the study will require me taking 8 pills 2 x a day. To this point, I have been doing 1 pill three times a day.

Fenugreek was one of the more interesting options I am using because it is linked to both increased insulin and to reduced insulin resistance. Most supplements were linked to one or the other.

Given it does appear to raise insulin, it may not be a good option for someone trying to lose weight. For me it makes sense because 1) I am maintaining weight now and 2) my doc thinks part of my BG control issues is I am not producing enough insulin (fasting insulin was only 3 with "normal" range being 5-15).

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    The only time I ever used it was when I was breastfeeding and returned to work, pumping 3 times a day to keep up supply with demand. I absolutely HATED that stuff.

And I can tell you that the way I was supplementing it or what have you, it had the opposite effect on me as far as insulin resistance. I will tell you, I used it only maybe 6 weeks or so, because it helped nothing.

During that time, I didn't lose any weight, in fact, I gained (by leaps and bounds, did I gain! My weight never went down after my daughter's birth, only up. I probably added this around 9 postpartum, and my gains were steady by then, I think, as it's been a while, I'm not certain.), and had a really hard time. This was around the time all my issues flared up and really started hitting me hard... So I have no idea what was going on with my system. Just a word out to anyone considering it...

I'm really glad it works for you, though.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    I used to enjoy fenugreek while Bf'ing - it made me smell like maple syrup. :D

@cstehansen The doc checked you for T1D antibodies, right? I can't remember that specific but I do remember he was thorough.

Whey is another that can help with insulin increases if you don't take it already.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I used to enjoy fenugreek while Bf'ing - it made me smell like maple syrup. :D

@cstehansen The doc checked you for T1D antibodies, right? I can't remember that specific but I do remember he was thorough.

Whey is another that can help with insulin increases if you don't take it already.

He was way more thorough than any doctor experience I have had previously, but no, he did not check for T1 antibodies. Depending on how I was progressing, LADA was on my list of topics to bring up at my next appointment.
  • G0ldengirl68
    G0ldengirl68 Posts: 43 Member
    I use Fenugreek as well, and I don't know if it has anything to do with my dropping BG because I eat pretty good as well. My numbers are dropping though, and the one I'm taking was affordable for me and I think it's good as it doesn't have any weird site effects like making me shakey. I am like you when it comes to homework on the supps. I just started taking 1 tablet a day to start, and may try 2 as it says on the bottle. I'm trying a synthetic B1 which makes me a little nervous, but no issues with it, and I need to do a bit more homework on that one myself ;)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    I love fenugreek leaves in Indian food, but of course, I never use 10g in a recipe. Interesting anecdotal results for you guys though.
  • itzcath
    itzcath Posts: 94 Member
    I am a sprout fanatic and use fresh fenugreek daily. All it requires is a container, water and a few days. Whala..fresh Fenugreek! Why buy pills when you can grow it on your kitchen counter.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    fenugreek is probably estrogenic if it's used for creating more breast milk and bigger breasts so I'd say men should use caution.