Sugar free jello?

Options
JohnnyLowCarb
JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
Maybe a dumb question, but I searched and saw no previous posts on this. It looks like sugar free jello is a go on a low carb diet. No carbs. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I avoid it for a couple reasons.
    Sweet stuff makes me crave more sweet. This doesn't seem to be true for everyone.
    I think it has maltodextrin and that's a higher glycemic index than refined white sugar... maybe I'm remembering incorrectly? Check the box and decide for yourself.
    I will say that I did use it a few times early in my low carb days. So just because you might choose to have it once in a while may not be a big deal.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    Cool thanks @Sunny_Bunny_
  • bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I get SF Jell-O on sale now and then, probably twice a year. I will make it with cream cheese and or heavy cream so it is actually more than 4 servings, and it helps me with having something other than meat and veg all the time. I don't find it stalls me or makes me want more carbs at all, but I also never had much of a sweet tooth to begin with, so there's that.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I ate a lot of it for a while. It never seemed to bother me in any fashion. I used it as a substitute for my ice cream bingeing. It got me off that habit. Tasty and ice cold with very few calories and no carbs.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    Thanks @kpk54
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Tagging in since I have this as an afternoon snack a few times a week and it seems to help me get over that mental "I need sugar" thing my thoughts try to trick me into.
  • Goddess0921
    Goddess0921 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I make Jigglers out of it and love it when I'm craving something sweet. It has never seemed to bother me or throw me out of ketosis. But, everyone is different. My husband has started this WOE and he likes SF Jello with some whipped cream as an evening snack if he needs something sweet.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I just don't like the sweetener it uses. I have yet to find one with something other than aspartame.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like it, have never had any trouble with it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I used the SF pudding mixes in my protein sludges for a while. Unfortunately, the sodium content in them bloats the piss out of me.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just don't like the sweetener it uses. I have yet to find one with something other than aspartame.

This was my issue too. I did find a sugar-free gelatin that does NOT use aspartame but I have to buy it directly from the company. The upside: I put in a large order with theme very time I purchase it so I get free shipping. They've been wonderful to work with too:

http://www.gagefoods.com/Products.aspx?hierarchyKey=67

It's only their sugar-free gelatin I get and use. Many of the other things they make and sell are NOT LCHF-friendly.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Just wondering.... what about Knox unflavoured gelatin? Maybe that can be spiked up with whatever flavouring and sweetener you find best. Every once in a while (like 2x/yr) I get a craving for those old fashioned Jello salads (1950's style) with shredded veggies in them. An older friend makes a SF lime flavoured one with pickle juice, chopped celery and pickles in it. I really like it, but it's the kind of thing you either hate or love (weirdness factor). I saw one online once with only pickles and green olives in it. I should try it sometime.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I did see a recipe online.. gelatin, unsweetened kool aid flavoring and Splenda or stevia.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    Options
    i have a big box of splenda in my pantry, thinking it was a good sweetener option, no calories, no carbs, well it has dextrorse and maltodextrin. GI index 100 and 110. Slenda liquid has sucralose which has a GI of 0. Wish I knew that before I bought the box of packets.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    We use SF jello from time to time, top it with whipped cream. Much better than other dessert choices. DH is diabetic, doesn't seem to effect him. So it will stay in our food rotation. I'm not, so not an issue for me either.
  • kilroy02
    kilroy02 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    They have a snack pack jello 4 pack that uses splenda. Walmart sells it.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Snack-Pack-Strawberry-Orange-Gelatin-Juicy-Gels-4ct/20554609

They're pretty good. 5 calories and 1 carb each. I spray a little whip cream on top. I used to make my own jello before I could find this with Knox gelatin and unsweetened kool-aid adding splenda. This is so much easier.