New Here and Prepping for Bariatric Surgery

Options
Miss_Hattie
Miss_Hattie Posts: 49 Member
I've done all the diets, some successful but always gained the weight back. Because my type 2 diabetes is getting the better of me, my doctor wanted me to consider the gastric bypass. After talking with the surgeon, he is recommending the Duodenal Switch instead. I used to work as a board leader many years ago at Cyberdiet, DietWatch and FoodFit online sites and I always thought my best weight loss support was during those years. So I'm looking for a new "home". I heard there was a Bariatric Support Group board here. I'm a retired RN and 63 years old.

Replies

• wendyn1998
    wendyn1998 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you and feel free to ask away
  • Miss_Hattie
    Options
    This board doesn't seem to be very active. I think many bariatric people are posting elsewhere as their home board. Is that about right?
  • kbleiweis
    kbleiweis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Miss_Hattie - I literally just started looking on MFP for other surg folks! I'm pre-op, surg in June (hopefully). Did you find any other boards?
  • Miss_Hattie
    Options
    There's a Christian board and lots a exercise challenges going on. Just check out "message boards", I guess. But I still check in here and hoping others start finding their way back here again. Maybe they vanished because it got quiet here. Early June is what I'm hoping for, too! I'm in Indiana.... where are you?
  • Miss_Hattie
    Options
    kbleiweis wrote: »
    Hi Miss_Hattie - I literally just started looking on MFP for other surg folks! I'm pre-op, surg in June (hopefully). Did you find any other boards?

Hi. Are you still planning on the June surgery? What type are you having?
  • Miss_Hattie
    Options
    wendyn1998 wrote: »
    Glad to have you and feel free to ask away

What type of surgery did you have? How long ago? What was it like the first few weeks post-op?
  • lifeisgreatwith4
    lifeisgreatwith4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP. I have the sleeve scheduled for June 21st. This last week I was on the MIMC diet for three days and then a 1600 calorie diet (Low sugar and sodium). Tomorrow I go to the Dr. to pick up my protein powder and I start my 2 week fluids only surgery prep. I am excited about the surgery. I have lost 16 pounds in one week (probably water weight). I am so happy I am getting a second chance. I have 3 daughters and I am missing out on doing things with them. I want to go on a bike ride with them, go paddle boarding, go horseback riding etc and each time my weight gets in the way. I have always been overweight but this year this mom is putting herself first instead of always last! My daughters need a healthy mom.