Anxiety issues.. what works for you?

Options
BBee5064
BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
One of my sons suffers with anxiety. He over thinks things & stresses himself out. He is 20 years old & all of his friends think he is super confident & super in control. Just goes to show we can hide what's going on inside.
I read an article and on the top of self help advice was exercise & diet. Walking, lots of fresh air. Lots of water.
What works for you? Do any of you suffer with anxiety? Be helpful to share if you can.

Replies

• UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,939 Member
    Options
    Stress, anxiety and depression walk hand-in-hand-in-hand...

I'm a proponent of yoga and meditation although not all 20 year olds are willing to entertain the concepts.
  • Farback
    Farback Posts: 1,068 Member
    Options
    Meditation, practice a martial art. Gives you confidence and introspection.
  • BBee5064
    edited April 2017
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    Stress, anxiety and depression walk hand-in-hand-in-hand...

I'm a proponent of yoga and meditation although not all 20 year olds are willing to entertain the concepts.
    Thanks uncle mac . I can't see him doing either . Definitely not yoga. But meditation maybe
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Farback wrote: »
    Meditation, practice a martial art. Gives you confidence and introspection.

I agree farback exercise is the way forward. He went climbing last night & really enjoyed that
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • BBee5064
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Funnily enough I down loaded a breathing app & showed my son.
    He seems a bit brighter
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Breathing and exercise are good. If you feel it holds him back I would also suggest he talk to a therapist. My nephew had an anxiety disorder and did just that and made a huge improvement. It can be very helpful to see what the underlying issues actually are.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Breathing and exercise are good. If you feel it holds him back I would also suggest he talk to a therapist. My nephew had an anxiety disorder and did just that and made a huge improvement. It can be very helpful to see what the underlying issues actually are.

Thanks Nikki, It has come to light that he absolutely detested his employment. So we have employed him to work in the construction company we run with his Father. We can see a huge improvement. We will keep an eye on him & if he appears to be struggling. we will get him to see his GP. I will update you as the months go on.
  • RodaRose
    Options
    I hope the change helps him.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thank you RodaRose xx
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That's great news! I'm glad he's feeling better!!
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Being miserable at work can certainly cause anxiety and depression. This change may do the trick. I wish him luck. Please let us know how he fares.
  • BBee5064
    Options
    UncleMac wrote: »
    That's great news! I'm glad he's feeling better!!

Appreciate your support
  • BBee5064
    Options
    nikkib0103 wrote: »
    Being miserable at work can certainly cause anxiety and depression. This change may do the trick. I wish him luck. Please let us know how he fares.

Will do Nikki
    Thank for your support
  • RodaRose
    Options
    Hi. How is your son? Maybe he is doing better now. :grey_question:
  • BBee5064
    Options
    Thank you for asking. He seems so
    Much better. He was saying to me the other day that he still over thinks things, but he feels more in control. I was suggesting a few acupuncture sessions might help him too & he seems keen for that. I keep you posted x
  • BBee5064
    Options
    An update on my son, He doing great! He exercising & eating a healthy diet. It has definitely made a vast difference.
  • UncleMac
    Options
    That's wonderful news!!
  • RodaRose
    Options
    That's great :)
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    Bee, glad he is doing better.