Starbucks sous vide egg bites

Options
nicsflyingcircus
nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
Wtf! Why do these (bacon and gruyere) have 9 grams of carbs. I found myself with some time to kill out of the house this morning and stopped in... 9 carbs in something made of eggs, cheese and bacon... Should be 2-3 tops.

Replies

• LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    They probably add some sugar in there somewhere.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ingredient list from SBX website, lots of little carb containing things:

Ingredients
    cottage cheese (cultured skim milk, skim milk, milk, cream, contains 2 % or less of: whey, lactose, salt, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, carrageenan, mono- and diglycerides, locust bean gum, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, potassium sorbate, carbon dioxide [to maintain freshness], natural flavor, vitamin a palmitate, enzymes), eggs (eggs, citric acid), monterey jack cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, powdered cellulose, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor]), unsalted butter (pasteurized cream, natural flavors), gruyere cheese (pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, powdered cellulose, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor]), uncured bacon - no nitrites or nitrates added except as naturally occuring in sea salt and celery juice powder (pork belly, water, sea salt, cane sugar, natural flavors), rice starch, hot sauce (distilled vinegar, red pepper, salt), salt. contains: egg, milk.

We cannot guarantee that any of our products are free from allergens (including dairy, eggs, soy, tree nuts, wheat and others) as we use shared equipment to store, prepare and serve them.

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    mmultanen wrote: »

Ingredients
    cottage cheese (cultured skim milk, skim milk, milk, cream, contains 2 % or less of: whey, lactose, salt, maltodextrin, guar gum, citric acid, carrageenan, mono- and diglycerides, locust bean gum, xanthan gum, carob bean gum, potassium sorbate, carbon dioxide [to maintain freshness], natural flavor, vitamin a palmitate, enzymes), eggs (eggs, citric acid), monterey jack cheese (pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, powdered cellulose, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor]), unsalted butter (pasteurized cream, natural flavors), gruyere cheese (pasteurized part-skim milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, potato starch, powdered cellulose, natamycin [a natural mold inhibitor]), uncured bacon - no nitrites or nitrates added except as naturally occuring in sea salt and celery juice powder (pork belly, water, sea salt, cane sugar, natural flavors), rice starch, hot sauce (distilled vinegar, red pepper, salt), salt. contains: egg, milk.

We cannot guarantee that any of our products are free from allergens (including dairy, eggs, soy, tree nuts, wheat and others) as we use shared equipment to store, prepare and serve them.

https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere

And this is yet another reason why I avoid all things Starbucks...
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Ingredients

So. Many. Gums.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I find it quite interesting that they use uncured bacon after pumping the rest of it with all kinds of garbage!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting they call refer to the gruyere when there are 2 other "cheeses" higher on the ingredient list - cottage (which has more carbs than I am personally willing to eat) and monterey jack.

Also wondering why their monterey jack has potato starch and powdered cellulose in it. The ingredients for Kraft monterey jack are: Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Natamycin (a Natural Mold Inhibitor). It seems Starbucks is using a carbed up version of this cheese.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I find it interesting they call refer to the gruyere when there are 2 other "cheeses" higher on the ingredient list - cottage (which has more carbs than I am personally willing to eat) and monterey jack.

Also wondering why their monterey jack has potato starch and powdered cellulose in it. The ingredients for Kraft monterey jack are: Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes, Natamycin (a Natural Mold Inhibitor). It seems Starbucks is using a carbed up version of this cheese.

My guess regarding the starch/cellulose is perhaps shredded cheese is used which often includes those added ingredients to keep it from sticking together. Is the Kraft package you are looking at whole, sliced or shredded.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »

My guess regarding the starch/cellulose is perhaps shredded cheese is used which often includes those added ingredients to keep it from sticking together. Is the Kraft package you are looking at whole, sliced or shredded.

You are correct. This was the block. The shredded has corn starch as the second to last ingredient - still no powdered cellulose, though.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Two words: cheap fillers.... paying for cheese, egg, and meat and getting wood pulp. Starbucks chaps my @ss. The closest I get to them is when I hang out just outside the shop to access their free WiFi late at night when they are closed.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >I find it quite interesting that they use uncured bacon after pumping the rest of it with all kinds of garbage!

>I find it interesting they call refer to the gruyere when there are 2 other "cheeses" higher on the ingredient list - cottage (which has more carbs than I am personally willing to eat) and monterey jack.

Three words: Mar. Ket. Ing.
  • welofwishes
    welofwishes Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just have to pipe in here... They are very yummy so for beginners like me that are still in the adapting stage they are good for when in a pinch
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Ingredients

Here's where most of your carbs are coming from to start with.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Just have to pipe in here... They are very yummy so for beginners like me that are still in the adapting stage they are good for when in a pinch

You are going to have a hard time adapting is you use half your daily carbs on imposter food like this. Make your own egg cups and if you want to save time, freeze them! Here is a pic of the cups I made for my husband (they have lots of veggie because he is low carb but not Keto)

• EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options