Tell me to take a drink...

Options
Lisidy
Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
I've really been struggling to drink enough water. I understand how important it is to stay hydrated, but I've been letting it slip and I've been really bad this past week. I've been at my desk several days this week, looked up to see that it's noon and I haven't had even a sip of water. There is a cup of ice in the smoothie I make for breakfast, but you know what I mean. I need to do better. Please bust my chops about this today. I need to build better habits.

I have 20oz of ice water in front of me that I'm going to get down in the next hour.

Replies

• carly363
    carly363 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can only get my water in if I use the flavor enhancers. The Mio fruit punch is good, and it seems to be one that doesnt have a ton of ingredients that are bad for you. I do understand; it's hard. Everyday I have to be consciously aware of what my water intake is or I wouldnt get mine in either.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    You could set a timer on your phone for every 5 or 10 minutes. When it goes off, take a drink. You can annoy yourself into the habit. :-P
  • Lisidy
    Options
    You can annoy yourself into the habit. :-P

Good advice.
  • Lisidy
    Options
    20oz down.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    There are phone apps that remind you too. Dietician at my bariatric clinic recommends 40oz for adults. Don't forget all the other food and drinks that contain water.
  • Lisidy
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @Aztec4Life - isn't it weird how we all get such varied advice? The dietician at my surgeon's office said 60oz minimum of water (not counting the water in what I'm eating).
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The urologist I saw after my kidney stone a few weeks ago said at least 80oz a day (but everything caffeinated or not counts). So much different advice! But I'm going to listen to the one that can help me avoid the excruciating hell that is another kidney stone :-)

I use an app on my phone called iHydrate. It reminds you to drink as often as you set it to do so and you log what you drink. You set your goal and it tracks what percentage you're at for the day. I find starting early in the day is the key.
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree... Set a phone alarm. Download a drink water app.
    I actually think a water app would be a good idea...

I know I'll have to have reminders for vitamins. why not for drinking water too?
  • Lisidy
    Options
    @clcmfp & @Samquentin - good advice. I do have a reminder set for my daily vitamins. I don't know why I haven't done it for water. Thanks for the tips on apps and for checking in on me. I'm a little behind, but I'm working on my second 20oz of the day. Just walked to the building next to my office to get some fresh ice. For some reason, ice water is easier to drink for me. On the plus side, I have to get up and walk to get the ice so it's a win, win.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I'm really really bad at drinking water. I drink 24oz while I'm at the gym, 24oz throughout the day at work, and then I force myself to drink 16 before bed. It's not that I hate water - I just don't feel thirsty enough to drink it.
  • Lisidy
    Options
    I just don't feel thirsty enough to drink it.

Yes! But then everything I read stresses the importance of drinking water (particularly when I'm exercising). I'm probably just looking for things to worry about.

• Lisidy
    Options
    40oz down.
  • Shull_rachael
    Shull_rachael Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Great job on getting 40oz down!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    How did you do yesterday?
  • Lisidy
    Options
    I got 60oz down. That's about 90% more than I drank the day before. I'm working on my first 20oz for today.
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    How's today going?
    Here's a little motivation - I got so dehydrated without realizing it that I fainted in the office in front of my co-workers. I highly recommend avoiding that embarrassment.
    But you know what? I drink a lot more water now.
  • Lisidy
    Options
    I've only had about 30oz today... but the night is young and that story about passing out is spurring me on.
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm awful about remembering my water at home. When I'm at work I fill my tumbler (21 oz) every time I get a cup of coffee, and don't let myself get another coffee until I finish the tumbler. So far it's working out.

Which reminds me, time for more coffee . . .
  • Lisidy
    Options
    @RedfootDaddy - great strategy.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Keep a bottle bedside and have a few ounces immediately when you wake up if you wake up during the night have a drink. I'm 2+ years post opt and some days I'm just not thirsty and when you're not thirsty you just don't think about drinking. However, flushing fat from your body is a biological process and water is required.