So frustrated!!! Has anyone else had this issue?

Options
CarlyIrene415
CarlyIrene415 Posts: 27 Member
I've been a low carber for years and have gotten it down... from atkins to fat fasts, paleo and keto- let's just say I know the ins and outs of all of them.

So, I decided to go on a 2-week atkins induction last Friday to kick start my weight loss and curb the cravings (just came back from Mexico and all I want is chips and salsa). Well, a week in and I'm actually UP 1.4lbs! I've never had that happen, ever.

So, today I've decided to do a full fat fast. I had bulletproof coffee with half a scoop of protein powder for breakfast and lunch and two hard boiled eggs as a snack. I'm really hoping this will break this stall and I'll get a flush of weight loss soon, it's just so discouraging when you're tracking every little thing and know you're 100% following plan and the scale is going the opposite direction.

Has anyone else had this happen? It's a low carb first for me. :(

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I've really only just started a LCHF lifestyle, and I think I'm only just getting the balance right...still a bit hit-and-miss...

I also am convinced that hormones, the menopause, periods and whatever else is associated with being a woman in her prime, have a huge role to play in what happens to our bodies.

My weight is totes fekked up right now.... (:D ) It doesn't know what it wants to do, in spite of my making adjustments here, tweaks there and eatingf all the absolutley right things and leaving out the bad boys.

It's almost as if my body is saying "Hah! You think you can do *this*? Well, I'mma gonna do *that*!"

Bless this wonderful body of mine... it's messing with my head and being very confusing...

But one thing I definitely DO know: Although my aim is definitely to lose weight, even though it's proving slow and frustrating, I've never felt better in myself. I feel fit, healthy, energetic and very happy with the way I am manifesting and presenting myself.

So I think it's also a mind-set thing, not fighting who we are right now, but accepting that sometimes, our bodies have a way of making decisions we might not agree with - but we're lovely, just the same....
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    A week is nothing. Look at the trend over 4 weeks, or 6, or more. Keto is not a quick fix and daily weight fluctuations are normal. For example on Friday I was 87kg, Tuesday I was 85.4, yesterday 84.3 and today 85kg again. Get something like happyscale and track the trend over time, and stop worrying about the day to day or even week to week.

This is daily weighing according to MFP
    ae0bq6wricfu.jpg

And this is how it looks in happyscale
    yc979fw3kd0e.jpg

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,609 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here is mine from the last five months FWIW. When I enter my weight, I use the highest number for the previous seven days to record. I am very conservative by nature and don't want to overstate anything or fool myself into thinking I have lost when it is a blip on the chart. I lost quickly when I started and then had a setback. In January, I reduced my calories to break out of the plateau.

I keep net carbs under 20 but have never tested ketones. I have gotten better at it as time goes on, so some of the early days had 25 or 30 net. Recently I have been keeping them under 10 or so most days.

31as9fhzb8oq.png
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Did you increase sodium?
    Maybe you're holding onto water due to low sodium. ???
    Sodium gets low as soon as insulin reduces.

Or, maybe insulin hasn't reduced yet ???
    Stick with it.
    You have a different body than the last time you did it. You've put it through low carb/high carb diet and non diet cycles... there may be some underlying issues working themselves out right now.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Here is mine from the last five months FWIW. When I enter my weight, I use the highest number for the previous seven days to record. I am very conservative by nature and don't want to overstate anything or fool myself into thinking I have lost when it is a blip on the chart. I lost quickly when I started and then had a setback. In January, I reduced my calories to break out of the plateau.

I keep net carbs under 20 but have never tested ketones. I have gotten better at it as time goes on, so some of the early days had 25 or 30 net. Recently I have been keeping them under 10 or so most days.

31as9fhzb8oq.png

I log my lowest weight for the week!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    You can log weight on MFP and see trends. I have a splurge day once a week and go up 2-3lbs every week and then down 4-lbs or so the rest of the week.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well yesterday, I definitely "over-ate" because I really focused on Proteins. Even then I was slightly under target.But boy oh boy - I went to bed feeling full up.

This morning?
    Lighter than I've ever been.....

hit 8st. 11.

Now going to stop daily weigh-ins, focus on what obviously works: Really good protein intake, fat to good measure - water, Kombucha, sodium, already great.... and before long, I'll have a waist and a 'sideways'....!

(Unlike Opera Diva Montserrat Caballé, who one day, unable to fit through a doorway, was gently advised to...perhaps...if she tried....sideways....? Retorted angrily "I haven't GOT a 'sideways'...!")