Keto friendly soft foods

Options
LizinLowell
LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
Hello! I'm new to this group but a long time low carber. Started Atkins in 2003 & lost 60 pounds I never gained back. I've been low carb ever since, and Paleo a few years but too many carbs have crept in & I started putting pounds back on so I got realistic & started Keto last month & I feel great.

Then I got an abscessed tooth!!! And could not chew ANYTHING for two weeks & had to figure out how to eat Keto (and I'm dairy free too!!) when I can't exactly purée a steak (ick). My friend gave me this steamed egg recipe which has been a lifesaver:
http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/01/steamed-egg/

I have it as written for lunch (using bone broth) & modify it with coconut milk & vanilla stevia for a sort of breakfast custard.

I also came up with a curried cauliflower soup I've been enjoying.

I also can't tolerate onions & garlic so this has been a challenging few weeks! But I wanted to share that steamed egg recipe because it has literally saved my life & my WOE. I was determined not to stray off my macros if I could help it as I was just beginning & this is such a crucial time!!

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    Cadori wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing!!

You bet! I was in a bit of a panic at first so I was glad to find the recipe :smile:
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Puréed cheeseburger still tastes like cheeseburger. Puréed shrimp makes a good base for soup, add in coconut milk (if your carb count can handle it) and any number of carribean or Thai flavors.

I lived on puréed meats for most of 2016. It's not fun, but it's not hard, either.

My basic ratio was 14-16 ounces of meat (add fat to lean meats as needed to get a good consistency), 1 cup of broth, seasonings of choice. Worked well for me to make a big batch and freeze into portions. I used beef roasts, ground beef, chicken (not my favorite- smells and looks like cat food), fish, shellfish, steak, etc. I'd sub out some of the meat for a few ounces of cheese if I wanted. I'd sub out for liver and organ meats, too.

Another trick is to cook your meat to the point of it melting in your mouth. I'd throw a roast in the slow cooker for two days and it would be very easy to chew.

If chewing is your only issue (i.e. you don't need puréed texture due to swallowing issues) eggs are a good and easy source of protein.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @Cheesy567 Thanks for the tips!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    @sixaround1 Thanks for the interesting recipe post. I have to have a medical procedure in couple of weeks which requires a pre-op liquid diet and I'm guessing I won't be feeling too perky after either! This might be just the ticket....
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @swezeytba I hope it's something that works for you! It's a very comforting dish. If you like egg drop soup, the original recipe is very reminiscent. I used a toasted sesame oil for extra flavor. I also ditched the ramekins & put it all in a bowl that fit in my steamer, and I didn't strain it, that's not really necessary.

The breakfast version I made with just eggs, water, coconut milk, and vanilla stevia is really nice! Would totally choose to eat it even if I wasn't forced to, lol

I hope your procedure goes well & your recovery is swift!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    @sixaround1 Thanks for the interesting recipe post. I have to have a medical procedure in couple of weeks which requires a pre-op liquid diet and I'm guessing I won't be feeling too perky after either! This might be just the ticket....

@swezeytba - Look Up Primal Egg Coffee on Mark's Daily Apple, too. Can be made with any hot beverage if you're not a coffee person (like me - I did it with tea)... It's a good way to get nutrients while still keeping it liquid...
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sixaround1 wrote: »
    @swezeytba I hope it's something that works for you! It's a very comforting dish. If you like egg drop soup, the original recipe is very reminiscent. I used a toasted sesame oil for extra flavor. I also ditched the ramekins & put it all in a bowl that fit in my steamer, and I didn't strain it, that's not really necessary.

The breakfast version I made with just eggs, water, coconut milk, and vanilla stevia is really nice! Would totally choose to eat it even if I wasn't forced to, lol

I hope your procedure goes well & your recovery is swift!

I absolutely adore the Greek Avgolemono soup - which literally means egg and lemon soup... just brew up a quick healthy stock, and take an egg and beat it to within an inch of its life, until the white and yolk are inseparably amalgamated...it's just all one even pale yellow colour.... add about 1tbsp of lemon juice, and beat again, then salt to taste....
    Take a ladleful of the stock, and stirring well, add it slowly, a bit at a time,. to the egg mixture, to prevent it curdling and 'cooking'.... then, drop this mixture bit by bit, from about a foot high into the simmering broth, and beat the broth well, with a whisk, as you do.... you should end up with a creamy yellow soup. Transfer to bowls, top with finely chopped coriander, and ome flaked almonds, which you previously soaked in hot water for about an hour, to soften and swell.

This soup is normally made with shredded pre-cooked chicken, and 'orzo' pasta or cooked rice added, but it's absolutely wonderful without!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I totally agree, the steamed egg cups are utterly delicious; Thank you so much for the reminder! My H. loves them....

They are a take on the traditional Japanese Chawanmushi, which are savoury egg custards, with a prawn, shredded chicken and a shitake mushroom added. I made them for a dinner party one night, and I have to say, followed the recipe closely; one of my guests said "If this dinner consisted of nothing but this stuff, I'd die happy!"
    If anyone would like the additional Chawanmushi recipe to go a step further, here it is.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    "Egg coffee" seems to have been a "thing" for many years over generations. My husband and brother-in-law have talked about having Egg Coffee at their Grandma's house. Not sure which Grandma but no matter. Both Grandmas were both German immigrants. Maybe it is something carried on from the "primal" ages by the Germans and I'm sure others. I bet Grandma maybe put sugar in it though for the grandkids. ;) Maybe not. DH still drinks his coffee black.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Seconding the egg coffee. I like to add one to my BPC.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I eat chia pudding now and then, which can be made with dairy or w/o. I use a mix of heavy whipping cream and almond milk for mine. It's a little higher in carbs, but still low in net carbs (chia seeds are nearly all fiber).
  • swezeytba
    Options
    Thanks @KnitOrMiss @AlexandraCarlyle and @megdnoorman for the additional ideas.

The Egg Coffee makes me wonder a little but I'm willing to at least try it once!

The egg and lemon soup sounds yummy!

I've been wanting to try chia pudding sometime....Maybe this will be a good time....

Have to stock up on some ingredients this weekend!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

The Egg Coffee makes me wonder a little but I'm willing to at least try it once!

I've been wanting to try chia pudding sometime....Maybe this will be a good time....

@swezeytba - the Egg coffee (well, tea, for me) tastes like custard coffee (tea). Nothing remotely eggy about it... If I recall correctly, most coffee folks say it reminds them of a latte for texture?

Be careful on chia pudding. For some, it lubes up the poop chute. For others (like me), it bungs me up for DAYS and dehydrates me like mad - EVEN AFTER SOAKING OVERNIGHT AND ABSORBING LOTS OF LIQUID... It reminds me of tapioca in texture, and I LOVE it once in a while, but I have to be careful of quantity. Not as bad cooking chia seeds in baked goods...
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

Be careful on chia pudding. For some, it lubes up the poop chute. For others (like me), it bungs me up for DAYS and dehydrates me like mad - EVEN AFTER SOAKING OVERNIGHT AND ABSORBING LOTS OF LIQUID... It reminds me of tapioca in texture, and I LOVE it once in a while, but I have to be careful of quantity. Not as bad cooking chia seeds in baked goods...

That's a good point. If you have any gastrointestinal difficulties chia should be approached with caution lol. Such a high level of fiber can mess with people. I am lucky to have the GI track of a garbage disposal so I can basically eat anything w/o any GI issues.
  • swezeytba
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »

@swezeytba - the Egg coffee (well, tea, for me) tastes like custard coffee (tea). Nothing remotely eggy about it... If I recall correctly, most coffee folks say it reminds them of a latte for texture?

Thanks for the heads up....I'll keep that in mind.

I do like lattes so am intrigued in the Egg Coffee idea for sure....