For women with PCOS - How long before you saw results?

Options
Liadin123
Liadin123 Posts: 67 Member
Hi There,
Just curious if there are other women who have PCOS here on the board, and if so, how long did it take for your body to respond with weight loss on a LCHF/Keto diet? I am having a heck of a time getting the scale to budge. Initial water loss of 4lbs and then Nada for over 2 weeks now. Getting frustrating! I've seen studies that show women with PCOS have what is called a "Thrifty" gene... basically in times of starvation our bodies can hold on to the weight longer, which allowed us to have children while other people could not and starved. But in times of Plenty, our bodies get disregulated. I must say I think if this IS the case my body has the thriftiest genes on the planet (okay maybe not but it feels that way).

Anyway, I wondered if anyone had a similar experience or could share yours!

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    FWIW, mine started right away. I started with about 20 lbs to lose and lost 8 lbs in the first month. I was eating 1350 calories/day (plus 1/2-2/3 of exercise calories). I did plateau after about 5-6 weeks.
    Are you weighing all your food? I tried to be pretty meticulous about measuring/weighing and logging everything and I think that helped.
  • Liadin123
    Options
    Yes.. weighing, trying to keep it at 1300Cals... I know I'm in Ketosis, and I feel better, just not seeing the scale move. But I'm glad someone did! :) Hoping it's just TOM issues and nothing else!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    While not PCOS I in a very low state of general health. I started to lose inches but it was 6 weeks before I lost the first pound. Actually I did not gain or loss those six weeks. Because my pain levels dropped from around 7-8 to 2-3 in just 30 days I knew Keto was for me. I have never eaten much below 50 grams of carbs daily personally.

Perhaps relative healthy people start losing weight faster?
  • Liadin123
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @GaleHawkins that makes sense... I have T2D, pain issues, the beginnings of neuropathy issues, and I know my liver is none too healthy. I do FEEL better, which is keeping me going... b/c that's worth a lot in and of itself. I am hoping my body is just adjusting and healing and the weight will fall eventually if I stay on course.

I do feel sometimes though like I'm my body and I are in a battle... lol :) It wants to keep the weight and I want it gone... every time I get on the scale I feel like yelling.."MORTAL COMBAT!!"...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    In my experience, losing weight with PCOS requires finding the right way of eating for you. I know some women with PCOS who have done just fine with a simple whole-foods approach, while others need "slow carb," others keto, and others (like myself) need to not eat carbs at all (and some might need a certain diet and combination of medication).

From what I've seen, once you find that "magic" combination, things start falling into place rather quickly. You might not see weight loss right away, but you'll start seeing the signs of hormones correcting. Acne clearing up, hair filling back in (or not thinning as much), facial hair reducing, period coming back, better feeling overall, etc.

As for the weight loss, even when it starts showing up, it likely won't show up consistently. Weight loss isn't linear for anyone, and all bets are off with PCOS in the mix. For example, one of the times I was losing weight, the scale wouldn't move for three weeks, then would drop 4-5 pounds in a couple of days, then gain a pound, then the cycle would repeat. The net result was that I was losing weight, but the scale didn't show it except after a month.

Pay attention to how you feel and other signs of your health improving. As those improve, the weight should follow (and if it doesn't, use those other markers as guide for further tweaking).
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Speaking of acne, mine has been so much worse than usual the past 4 months. Not sure what that's about but it's frustrating. I think I'm overdue to start experimenting with inositol, see if that helps. (I did ask my derm about it and got a medication but it didn't really help.)
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Keto worked pretty immediately for me. I shaved off 10 lbs in the first month or so, but I don't have the challenge of T2 Diabetes (though I'm fighting pretty hard to not become pre-diabetic.) I've had really good luck with intermittent fasting when I can't budge the scale. I do the least hard-core kind where you basically just skip 1 meal and give your body a 16 hour (including sleeping) rest from eating. It will help with insulin sensitivity too. My one caution is that if you have any thyroid issues, you may need to raise your carb requirements up to at least 75g per day. But if you're not having issues with hair loss, menstrual disregulation, etc, then keto on.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have had a similar experience. Lost several pounds the first week, but stuck in a 3 lb range right now. That said, my body composition does seem to be changing. Most notably, I've been losing inches in my waistline.

I have been doing some light exercises (squats, planks, and tracking steps with my Fitbit), so that may be impacting this change, but I do feel like keto is helping speed these changes.

Not to sound like a cliche, but it's not just the lbs on the scale that matter. I'm staying the course and crossing my fingers that the lbs loss starts matching the inches loss ;)
  • treehugnmama
    treehugnmama Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    yay take that loss! mine started right away and with large losses but then leveled out I went from 4 lbs a day to 4 a week to 4 a month to o a month lol but inches moving. within tje first two weeks acne was gone. after two months cycles normal for tje first time ever. moods better after a month. I don't eat the refined carbs but I do eat yam and don't limit veggies etc I lost 65 this way but may be time to shake it up. I went from not ovulating to ovulating in 3 months and prediabetic to normal ac1 in the same time.
  • macchiatto
    Options
    Liadin123 wrote: »
    Of course the scale moves this morning... down 1lb... I'll take it. :)

Yay! You just had to post about it. ;)

I've found out that whenever I can't find something, as soon as I start telling everyone around me that I lost it, I come across it. ;)
  • Liadin123
    Options
    @macchiatto, pretty much... as soon as I vent about it, something happens, pretty much the way with everything! Patience is not my best virtue. :p
  • macchiatto
    Options
    @macchiatto, pretty much... as soon as I vent about it, something happens, pretty much the way with everything! Patience is not my best virtue. :p

So next time you plateau, be sure to post about it! :)
    Patience is not my strong suit either.
  • AshStout83
    AshStout83 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and my weight loss began immediately. I entered ketosis by the second day while eating approximately 50 net carbs. I never counted calories(ate fat to satiety) and only counted carbs for awhile. Once I knew how many carbs were in the foods I eat, I stopped counting.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins that makes sense... I have T2D, pain issues, the beginnings of neuropathy issues, and I know my liver is none too healthy. I do FEEL better, which is keeping me going... b/c that's worth a lot in and of itself. I am hoping my body is just adjusting and healing and the weight will fall eventually if I stay on course.

I do feel sometimes though like I'm my body and I are in a battle... lol :) It wants to keep the weight and I want it gone... every time I get on the scale I feel like yelling.."MORTAL COMBAT!!"...

stacicali wrote: »
    Keto worked pretty immediately for me. I shaved off 10 lbs in the first month or so, but I don't have the challenge of T2 Diabetes (though I'm fighting pretty hard to not become pre-diabetic.) I've had really good luck with intermittent fasting when I can't budge the scale. I do the least hard-core kind where you basically just skip 1 meal and give your body a 16 hour (including sleeping) rest from eating. It will help with insulin sensitivity too. My one caution is that if you have any thyroid issues, you may need to raise your carb requirements up to at least 75g per day. But if you're not having issues with hair loss, menstrual disregulation, etc, then keto on.

So, knowing that you've type 2, pain/neuropathy (I'm assuming you're taking Metformin...), and liver issues, I have to ask how thoroughly you've had your thyroid checked out, @Liadin123 . As @stacicali mentioned, thyroid is a comorbidity with PCOS alone... And insulin resistance, which leads to the T2D, etc.

First thing - neuropathy - get your B12 levels tested ASAP! Find a good B-Complex (B-Super Complex maybe, even). You'll likely need a B12 above and beyond the B-Complex, but taking B-12 without the B-Complex will slowly deplete all other B vitamins. Neuropathy generally is not reversible, so this would be my priority, personally. I have a nerve spot in my left hand that cued me in to this whole issue. Metformin interferes with B-12 absorption, on top of the fact that PCOS messes with all your B stuff, too...

Second, if your liver has .... issues, I'd guess that you probably have thyroid issues. And digestive issues. Supporting your liver will help with your T2D because when your glucose drops naturally, your liver is supposed to release stored glycogen to balance. If it is impaired, it can't do that, which will mess with the normal body management system!! There are a number of supplements that can help with liver support, and there's a lot of overlap with liver/digestion-gallbladder/thyroid stuff... But you'll probably want to get some tests run before starting anything - and go slowly, because you don't want a boomerang reaction in your glucose management.

Third, test that thyroid!!! TSH, if you're over 20-25, should optimally be 0.5-1.5 (uIU/mL or mIU/L)... I don't offhand know the mmoL conversions. Total and Free T4 should be checked, as well as Free and Reverse T3. Since you have pain issues, I'd personally get the antibodies tests done (TPO, TGA), because you could have an underlying autoimmune issue that is the trigger point for the cascading failure of everything else! If this is out of whack, (labs say that up to 4 or even 6 is acceptable ranges - but that includes the people with terrible thyroid conditions - not the optimal values above - and that is SOOOO not acceptable), it will be very very difficult to manage the other issues. Insulin affects the thyroid gland, and so too little is bad, as is way too much... SO ANNOYINGLY INTERRELATED...

As for how long it took, I lost weight in the first 2-3 months. Then my thyroid tanked. Badly. And I've slowly regained 40 pounds over 2 years. I'm still fighting to get my thyroid level. My PCOS is mostly managed, as far as I can tell...but it's so weird, who ever knows? I feel absolutely amazing on Keto in general, but as Staci said above, I'm working towards that 75 grams of non-gluten/grain carbs as my goal. I'm working on limiting soy, and kind of on dairy somewhat...and of course, sugar...but I'm finding the food control (binge/compulsive/boredom/stress eater here) to be far more elusive at this level. But, I'm still switching things up...and keeping fighting.

Like you, I can see improvements in different places. Just for kicks, these pics are pretty close to at the same weight...but completely different dietary intakes.

511tqdmiaae1.jpg

Not quite my heaviest weight, but definitely high inflammation, etc.

4nt56m5behve.jpg

This is AFTER the regain, beginning of this year.

v51aqjbo52ji.jpg

daau081o52lc.jpg

These last two are from around my lowest weight, End of March 2015 and Mid July 2015, respectively...
  • Liadin123
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - thanks for the valuable insights. I have had my thyroid checked and apparently it's all clear.. the neuropathy is minor and already I've seen improvements. I had constant itching in my ankles and feet and that has stopped.. and the nerve pain in my toes have stopped also. This is good. I am NOT on Metformin... although I had tried it a long time ago when it was first being used to treat PCOS, I had to fight the system like mad to get it in Canada.. but I finally got it. Unfortunately my liver did not tolerate well and I had to discontinue use. I know I have a very fatty liver currently - and it seems to have it's sensitivities. The last time I was at the doc I had just "graduated" to T2D and they said to manage it by diet, so I'm not on any meds. I'll have to keep an eye on the thyroid though.

The last time I did this and lost weight I was really successful with the PCOS and got a regular cycle back. And even though I re-gained the cycle continues. (starting now actually... yay?). Sadly the hair on my chin never stopped... and the acne is still very present (sigh) or the ability of my body to hold on to weight like it's going out of style. The weight loss was about 7 years ago now, on a lower carb diet/natural diet, although I managed to intake a fair few sweet potatoes (no bread though) w/out effect.

RE: the B-12, I know mine goes low.. I just ordered a B-12 patch actually, usually I use sub-linguals, as I don't absorb the pills well.

Getting docs to test for anything where I am in Vancouver, Canada, can be really difficult, so I try to do as much research and watch out for signs of things, as much as I can. So far, still in Ketosis, and still seem to be OKAY. I'm watching for hair loss though (minor hair loss already), and if/when I stall I am HOPING I can get some tests done.

RE: your pics..that's some amazing skin improvements, I can only hope to have that kind of improvement myself!!!

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Remember, on the TSH, that actually is not a good measure, as TSH isn't made BY THE THYROID. Make sure you get your numbers and check that it is in the optimal range. I had one Endo who told me at almost a 5 on the scale that I was fine. I still don't feel quite right unless I'm below a 2, so he was SOOO wrong.

On the B-12, apparently, according to something I read today, it requires high stomach acid to properly break down, digest, and absorb. Maybe you need to check that out... I know that I personally had issues and have had to add digestive enzymes. Diabetes can cause stomach acids to lower (by depressing thyroid and liver functions, among other things)...

I hate that you have to fight to get tests done there. I know here, in the US, we have independent labs that can run tests if we want to pay outright...

I couldn't tolerate the generic Metformin at all... I don't know if it affected my liver at the time. I could probably go back and look at my numbers from then... I do MUCH better these days...but I'm on the brand name, Glucophage, and I'm currently fighting to get the RX paid for on my normal scale instead of the difference in price between brand name and generic (PER PILL, not PER RX), as that cost is escalating as my doc changes my dose!
  • MySweetLavinia
    MySweetLavinia Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I had dramatic results immediately, and have lost about 33 pounds since March 1st. Currently off all PCOS meds because I've come to hate them (metformin was okay but makes me have constant heartburn/stomach upset; spironolactone did little but make me queasy constantly).

I'm doing keto with less than 20g net of carbs a day. I've found that I have to stick very strictly to that carb count and not eat very much packaged food, or I'll stall easily. I've also cut out like 90% of wheat products even if they fit my daily calorie and carb goals. (I'm pretty sure I'll have to eat like this for the rest of my life to maintain a healthy weight, which is okay. It's a pretty enjoyable way to eat for me!)

Prior to changing my diet, I was one of those people who would drink 2L of soda a day and eat poptarts/chips/bread nonstop, and I was severely insulin resistant. So I suspect I had tons of water weight to lose. A lot of my PCOS symptoms are beginning to get better though. The only one that hasn't started to improve is the acne, which cleared up a bit for about two weeks but is now actually worse for some reason.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    @MySweetLavinia symptoms retrace sometimes as we heal after a positive way of eating change.

Keep up the good work.
  • Liadin123
    Options
    I had gone to a naturopath who tested all my thyroid, she thought it was a bit low even though it was called "normal" by my doc... and put me on meds to increase it, but the meds made my heart race and they were awful. So I just don't know.... I so wish I could just pay to have tests sometimes... but I can't argue with our medical system - I guess every "system" has a downside though! Here's to hoping everything gets better for the both of us though!