Lowered tolerance for fats?

Options
macchiatto
macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
Has anyone else experienced that after being keto/LCHF for a while (which for a long time seemed to clear up almost all my digestive issues), you start to get queasy and find you can't handle quite as much fat? I've been experiencing that recently. I've been reverse dieting up to maintenance so maybe part of it is the increase in calories (though this started a bit before I started increasing calories). I'm wondering if I need to bump fats a bit lower and protein and carbs a little higher or if there's another solution. (I've been 15C/60F/25P for a long time, so I know carbs and protein are already higher than many on here.)

I've also found that the appetite-suppressing effect might be working a tad too well, b/c there are days when I'm eating below my calorie goal b/c I'm just not hungry. (Truly a novel problem for me. ;) ) I'm still slowly losing weight. At this point that's not a big deal b/c my maintenance range is 128-133 and my lowest weigh-in was 129.4 and moving average is 130.9, so there's still a little wiggle room. I might just need to be more gradual with the reverse dieting.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I know if I have too much fat at once it gets.... much easier to pass.... well, you know.... number 2's.....no nausea or queasiness, but that's the only 'side-effect' I'm experiencing right now....
    and I'm on 5%C/65%F/30%P, that is, 16, 92 and 96 grammes respectively.....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    No change for me after reducing fat to 60% after a year of 75% plus. Digestion and satiation remain the same.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    Has anyone else experienced that after being keto/LCHF for a while (which for a long time seemed to clear up almost all my digestive issues), you start to get queasy and find you can't handle quite as much fat? I've been experiencing that recently. I've been reverse dieting up to maintenance so maybe part of it is the increase in calories (though this started a bit before I started increasing calories). I'm wondering if I need to bump fats a bit lower and protein and carbs a little higher or if there's another solution. (I've been 15C/60F/25P for a long time, so I know carbs and protein are already higher than many on here.)

I've also found that the appetite-suppressing effect might be working a tad too well, b/c there are days when I'm eating below my calorie goal b/c I'm just not hungry. (Truly a novel problem for me. ;) ) I'm still slowly losing weight. At this point that's not a big deal b/c my maintenance range is 128-133 and my lowest weigh-in was 129.4 and moving average is 130.9, so there's still a little wiggle room. I might just need to be more gradual with the reverse dieting.

Have you added any new for you fats, into your meals? Or any different carbs? Either could cause digestive upsets.

Have you run your current information through one of the keto calculators, with your new weight and goal? That might help you decide if you need to up anything.

And seriously, if your body is still happy losing, I'd just go with it. They always seem to set a new set point on their own.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to go mainly with appetite. Embrace those less hungry days but eat more on the more hungry days? If slightly more carbs or protein on the hungry days, then I would go with it. You've done so well so far, I think if you keep following how you'll feel, you'll continue to do well.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I get queasiness when my salt intake is too low. Just the idea of putting any fat in my mouth (irk). So I take 1/4 to 1/2 tsp per day of a 50/50 mix of regular salt and low sodium salt (for potassium). Could this be the problem??