Cookies!

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
I made some almond sandy like cookies and they were great. However, they didn't meet the mark 100% on my cookie craving. This time of year I'm always craving cookies. I'm looking for more cookie recipes, that are tried and true. Does anyone have any? We have some BBQ functions to go to soon, and I want to bring some low carb cookies. ☺️

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for savoury biscuits - or sweet? Because if you're looking for sweet recipes, then all I can find is cookie recipes with a ton of sweetener added.... which to me, is counter-productive.

Please don't think me critical. I just hate substitute sweeteners.... I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

It seems lo-carb are low on the ground, too. I found one list of '30 best low-carb cookie recipes' - only to find that loads of people commented afterwards, criticising the misleading title....
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Are you looking for savoury biscuits - or sweet? Because if you're looking for sweet recipes, then all I can find is cookie recipes with a ton of sweetener added.... which to me, is counter-productive.

Please don't think me critical. I just hate substitute sweeteners.... I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

It seems lo-carb are low on the ground, too. I found one list of '30 best low-carb cookie recipes' - only to find that loads of people commented afterwards, criticising the misleading title....

I use Swerve and it is amazing! Tastes like sugar and is derived from fruits and veggies that have sweetness but not high GI. Doesn't spike blood sugar and is low carb. I've used it in two recipes so far and loved it.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I'll have to see if I can find it in the UK.... Not sure I've seen it here.... :)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Found this...!

Look at the price.
    I mean, really.
    Check the price.

I might just consider going without...!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    Found this...!

Look at the price.
    I mean, really.
    Check the price.

I might just consider going without...!

Oh my gawd!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    I found it for under ten bucks!!!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Madness..... profiteering by someone, surely.....
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm currently on induction for the next two weeks to give myself a kick start, but for when I'm not, I'll be visiting this blog: http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/ . She has some really great recipes for sweets and you can usually tweak them and they still come out nice and tasty.
  • laurenj915
    laurenj915 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It is on AmazonUK.
    https://amazon.co.uk/d/Sugars-Sweeteners/SWERVE-ULTIMATE-REPLACEMENT-Granular-12oz-340g-CLASS/B01LLMUG22/ref=pd_cp_325_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J5Y1JTT3CG27WTYBQ6TH

I don't love the taste of Swerve in some things (like coffee) but I made almonds cookies with it last week and they came out fine. I cut the swerve they suggested in the recipe by half. That way, i didn't get any weird flavor. Also, i think it is better for me not to have a cookie that is sweet like a normal cookie, just slightly . I get bingy with super sweet stuff
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love her chocolate pudding and her brownie waffles.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    You know, now that I think about it, in 16 months of eating keto/LCHF, I don't think I've ever tried to make keto cookies. I should try. :) (Sometimes if DH bakes his amazing chocolate chip cookies, I'll have a Quest choc chip cookie dough bar so I'm not tempted with that incredible smell wafting through the house.)
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    Check out pinterest, lots of recipes for cookies using swerve :) There's a peanut butter/coconut flour one I've been eyeing for a while I would like to try. Good luck, I hope you find something!!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    laurenj915 wrote: »
    It is on AmazonUK.
    https://amazon.co.uk/d/Sugars-Sweeteners/SWERVE-ULTIMATE-REPLACEMENT-Granular-12oz-340g-CLASS/B01LLMUG22/ref=pd_cp_325_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=J5Y1JTT3CG27WTYBQ6TH

I don't love the taste of Swerve in some things (like coffee) but I made almonds cookies with it last week and they came out fine. I cut the swerve they suggested in the recipe by half. That way, i didn't get any weird flavor. Also, i think it is better for me not to have a cookie that is sweet like a normal cookie, just slightly . I get bingy with super sweet stuff

If you think I'm paying that much (nigh-on £15.00) for a bag of sugar, you must be kidding....
  • laurenj915
    Options

If you think I'm paying that much (nigh-on £15.00) for a bag of sugar, you must be kidding....

I wasn't kidding or thinking you would pay that much. Just putting the information on the thread.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No, and I thank you for it, it was kind of you, I appreciated the gesture. It was more a general rhetorical, 'you' not you personally.... I should have worded it differently...

That's a whole lot of money for a hit of sweet....!
  • clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Check out the cookbook "Cooking Keto with Kristie" by Kristie Huneycutt Sullivan or her you tube videos for great recipes for cookies, muffins and casseroles. The sweetener Sukrin is used in many of the sweet treats.
  • laurenj915
    Options
    I wish stevia didn't taste so bad to me. I am so unsure about using artificial sweeteners. I know some of them are plant based... but they all seem to have added ingredients. I kind of prefer to just go without during the week and then just have a real cookie on the weekend. I know that is not possible for all of you that are low carb for medical reasons though.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    I found it for under ten bucks!!!!

The BEST price around for Swerve that I've found is purchasing it through the Thrive Market website for $6.95/bag as compared to the usual $10.00-12.00/bag some local grocery stores in my area offer it for (Whole foods, Sprouts). The downside - you have to be a member to get the good price. The upside - free shipping on orders of $49.00 and up. There are many other products I purchase from Thrive market so having the membership is sound financial sense where my budget is concerned.

https://thrivemarket.com/swerve-granular-sugar-replacement

Hobbit's Sugar Cookies (I would have pasted a link but his website seems to be down right now for some reason):

8 tablespoons softened (NOT melted!) butter
    104 grams vanilla flavored whey protein isolate powder (I use SDC Nutrition's "About Time" whey protein isolate powder and it is lightly sweetened with stevia so it doesn't have a very strong flavor as compared to many "protein powders" out there that kick you in the mouth with their flavor so if you use a strongly flavored protein powder you probably won't need to add the Capella flavor drops mentioned below)
    2 Tablespoons coconut flour
    1/2 Cup Swerve (or sugar substitute of choice equivalent to 1/2 Cup of sugar)
    2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 Tablespoon vanilla extract (if using a pure flavor OIL instead of an extract, reduce to 1 teaspoon)
    1 Tablespoon unsweetened cashew milk (or almond milk)
    1-2 Tablespoons water
    15 drops Capella Sugar Cookie flavor drops (my own tweak to the original recipe)

I find this recipes very easy to modify and change the flavors of by simply changing (1) the flavor of the whey protein isolate powder; (2) the flavor of the extract or oil; and (3) the flavor of the Capella drops. For example: a couple of week-ends ago, I made orange creamsicle flavored sugar cookies by using Orange Creamsicle flavored whey protein isolate powder, orange oil, and Capella orange creamsicle flavored drops. On my to-make-soon list using this recipe are the following flavor combinations: chocolate mint, strawberry, birthday cake, pumpkin spice latte, chocolate raspberry...the possibilities are endless!

I find this dough is very forgiving so much so that I usually press it out using a sugar cookie press (so definitely no rolling out of and cutting out cookies by hand or the old-fashioned way with cookie cutters involved here - although it you WANTED to do that, you still could). The only difference I notice is that when I use an oil as compared to an extract, the dough becomes a little thicker, is slightly stickier and doesn't come out of the press quite as easily (though still pretty easily). Also, when using a pure flavor oil, the end results of the cookies tend to hold their shape much better. If using an extract, the end results of the cookies often lose a lot of the initial detail from the cookie press.

Original recipes says to cook 6-8 minutes @ 325 degrees, but I find the end results tend to be hard as bricks and very dry (though still tasty you may find you need industrial strength chompers to eat them). I suggest cooking 3-5 minutes total instead. They will come out a little "wet" looking, but they firm up and dry as they set up and harden.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    You know, now that I think about it, in 16 months of eating keto/LCHF, I don't think I've ever tried to make keto cookies. I should try. :) (Sometimes if DH bakes his amazing chocolate chip cookies, I'll have a Quest choc chip cookie dough bar so I'm not tempted with that incredible smell wafting through the house.)

You can cut a Quest bar into 6 equal nuggets and bake them to make awesome warmed cookies. I personally haven't because to me cookies are meh, but I have a few friends who have done this with great success.
    Microwave for 10 seconds to slightly soften, cut into 6 or 8 pcs, place on parchment paper (or you'll be sorry) bake at 350 for 8-10 min.
  • sasaar
    sasaar Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    macchiatto wrote: »

You can cut a Quest bar into 6 equal nuggets and bake them to make awesome warmed cookies. I personally haven't because to me cookies are meh, but I have a few friends who have done this with great success.
    Microwave for 10 seconds to slightly soften, cut into 6 or 8 pcs, place on parchment paper (or you'll be sorry) bake at 350 for 8-10 min.

I used to do this all the time. Cookie Dough broiled quest bars for a few minutes...INCREDIBLE!