Snippy doctor comment (resting heart rate question)

Options
13»

Replies

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I had an appt with my internist for my yearly physical and an appt with my cardiologist just days apart. I don't have heart disease, but have had 3 ablation procedures for multiple arrhythmia so my insurance requires me to see the cardiologist once a year even though he has nothing to do with the treatment for this. Anyway, at my internist appointment, I had lost about 30 pounds at that point and I went from 6.5 to 5.3 A1c among other significant lab value improvements. Before I left, he told me I need to follow a low fat diet.

When I saw my cardiologist a couple days later, we discussed the same things as I did with my internist. But before I left, he said "keep doing what you're doing". So I ignored my internist and followed my cardiologist's advice. My hope is that I am down close or at my goal when I see my internist for my next yearly physical. Just so I can see his jaw drop, lol.

I believe things are slowly changing out there as doctors are beginning to question what they were taught relative to diet for patients. We as patients can educate our physicians, too, by being open with our experiences with various types of diet. Some will look at us as idiots. Others will listen and hopefully learn that one diet does not fit all.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I was once told that without other risk factors, my weight was irrelevant. My reaction was to say that the doctor had just shot down my last motivation to lose weight.

Although that is true, the one problem with that is doctors rarely test insulin. As Dr. Joseph Kraft demonstrated testing over 15,000 people, someone can be insulin resistant (and essentially on their way to T2 diabetes) for decades before standard testing of BG shows anything. Since one of the functions of insulin is to store fat, being overweight MIGHT be an indication of insulin resistance. If the person is insulin resistant, then reducing weight will help stave off diabetes. Obviously, if you are in this group, you are LC and already doing something that is even more important in staving off diabetes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I was once told that without other risk factors, my weight was irrelevant. My reaction was to say that the doctor had just shot down my last motivation to lose weight.

Although that is true, the one problem with that is doctors rarely test insulin. As Dr. Joseph Kraft demonstrated testing over 15,000 people, someone can be insulin resistant (and essentially on their way to T2 diabetes) for decades before standard testing of BG shows anything. Since one of the functions of insulin is to store fat, being overweight MIGHT be an indication of insulin resistance. If the person is insulin resistant, then reducing weight will help stave off diabetes. Obviously, if you are in this group, you are LC and already doing something that is even more important in staving off diabetes.

^^^^^^^^^^

This is 100% me. My fasting glucose and A1C are in the normal range... My insulin is NOT. If it hadn't been for me having to see an endocrinologist for something else, it might have been years more before I discovered my insulin resistance, probably about the time I became a diabetic.

P.S. If your doc doesn't want to test for this, @rsmorton3086 - there are independent labs you can go to that will run it for you.