For those that have already run their first "competitive" 5K

Options
tycamsdad
tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
I will be running W9D3 and graduating on Friday and then running my first "competitive" 5K on Saturday, August 3rd. Throughout my training, I have been running by myself with some MFP and Nike+ buddies to keep me motivated. Since I have been running by myself at 5:30 every morning, I am a little nervous about running with a large group of people at the 5K. I plan on starting near the back of the pack so I don't try to be a hero and try and keep up with the better runners and wear myself out too early. I will have my I-pod with my favorite running songs to keep my mind on task but I am just wondering if you guys have any advice for a newbie. Any hints or suggestions?

By the way, if it helps any, my run this morning was 3.9 miles in 40 minutes including the 5 minute pre and post warm-up walk so I covered the 3.1 in less than 30 minutes, which is my goal for the event.

One last thing, I normally don't eat or drink anything before I do my pre-dawn runs but since the race doesn't start until 8:30 I figure I had better get something in me before I start running. I was thinking of doing some peanut butter on whole wheat with a banana at least an hour before I run. Would you recommend anything different?

Replies

• grdaze
    grdaze Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I ran my 5K when I was in week 7 of the program.

I found myself running faster and pushing myself and getting discouraged at the start of the race because other people were running faster and better than me. I had to force myself to calm down, to find my groove, to relax. I had a personal goal in mind and I kept my mind on that, rather than beating everyone around me.

I ended up keeping pace with two other people throughout the race and that helped me. I had my music playing and that helped too.

I didn't eat before running, even though the race started at 7:30 ... I didn't want to be urping food before I ran.

GOOD LUCK! You are going to be great!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should do a "what to expect" pin?

Anyway, if you can eat, that's great. Gatorade is good too, but don't vary too much from your current routine.

Most 5ks draw out a bunch of people from all fitness levels. If you're running a 10 minute mile, expect to finish about mid-pack. Usually the dynamics of a race drop your time by a couple minutes. The people that you'll see during the race are going just a little faster than you (unless you look behind you). Usually, it takes a few minutes for everybody to pass the start line and settle into a run. At larger races, you'll end up walking the first 2-3 minutes.

Make sure you get there in time to park and pee. If they're closing down roads, traffic can be weird on race morning. There will be portapotties. As a runner, you will stop thinking that they are disgusting about the same time you perfect your farmer blow. If you want to be safe, bring a little TP.

About 5 minutes before start, they'll collect people around the start line and lead a warmup routine.

I recommend a hat or visor and don't forget sunscreen. Also, if you can, bring 4 safety pins for your bib. They'll have them there, but I always feel like a "real runner" when I bring my own.

Keep some chocolate milk or Gatorade and water in your car for the ride home.

Tuck $20 in a pocket in case there's an interesting vendor. I always tuck my I'd somewhere too, in case I collapse.

I keep meaning to find some cheap plastic ponchos too.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I always do soy nut butter on whole wheat toast and my usual coffee for my pre-race food. (My boys have a peanut allergy, or it would be Jif!)
    It sounds as though you have a pretty good grasp on what to do. The only things I would add to what you have been told already is warm up with a 5 minute walk and short jog. Then do some stretching. Try to time it so you finish just before time to line up. That way everything is well oiled and you don't waste time getting warmed up in the first 1/2 mile of the race. Also do not wear anything new. Everything you have on should be something you have "run-tested".

Good luck and enjoy!!!! :-)
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    This is great info. My first competitive 5K is the following Saturday - 8/10. My initial goal when I registered was to run it in 30 and that's not going to happen. Now I'm aiming for 35, which will still be a challenge but I think it's reachable. It's in my (tiny) hometown, which is about 7 miles from where I live now, so I've run the course a couple of times just to get the feel for it. It's a small field - last year there were 229. It feels like a very non-threatening place to start. I'm also registered for another one the end of September that's bigger & on a more challenging course (there's a long, big-*kitten* hill at the end).

The race is on a Saturday. Friday is typically my rest day. Do I keep my normal workout/training schedule the rest of the week before?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'd keep my training schedule the same as before. A 5k isn't worth a taper. Take it easy for 2-3 days after - shorter easy runs, etc.
  • tycamsdad
    tycamsdad Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips. I feel pretty confident going into it but there is always that little nagging voice in the background with the "what if" questions. I will be sure to post my results when I am done on the 3rd.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Since mine is a week later I can learn from tycamsdad how it went for him!
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I'd keep my training schedule the same as before. A 5k isn't worth a taper. Take it easy for 2-3 days after - shorter easy runs, etc.

Thanks! That's what I figured - I'm running that far on Saturdays in training anyway so it's not an unusual length for me, it's just that I'll be hopefully moving a little faster under race conditions.