Snacks........

Options
Sara3434
Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
Does everyone eat snacks or just main meals.
I've been trying to stick to just main meals as I'm a serial grazer when it comes to eating, but feel I need a small afternoon snack.
I eat lunch around 12 but don't have dinner until 7pm so that in between stage is becoming difficult. I tend to have water and a cup of coffee to fill the gap and then just make myself wait till dinner time. I feel like I want a snack.
So my next question is what do you snack on and recipes is you have them.

Replies

• CrazyAuntJim
    CrazyAuntJim Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast (if I'm eating breakfast that day) by 8-8:30am. Then I don't typically eat lunch until 2pm, so I do get a small snack in. If it's a day I don't have breakfast then I drink an Atkins shake when I start to get hungry (10-11ish).

If I'm snacking it's on blueberries or a piece of sugar free candy. Sometimes veggies or pickles. Occasionally some bacon.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I try to eat mostly main meals, but I have snack options in case I just can't wait. Boiled eggs, pistachios, beef jerky are what I have most often. Every once in awhile the cafeteria where I work has these meat and cheese bowls which are nice.
  • MzLazyBones
    MzLazyBones Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm a snacker - and some of my snacks are just leftovers from the last meal that I didn't feel like eating at the time (for me, that's a big deal, I was always taught to clean my plate whether I felt full or not!). As for more "traditional" snacks; hard boiled eggs or egg whites, black olives, a bite of dark chocolate (92% bitter, and when I say bite I mean a bite, 7-8g), and today I'm going to try making french onion dip from a youtube video I watched last night, then I'll dip some celery in there for a nice snack (assuming it works out). I don't know if you have string cheese available (that's not something my local grocers carry, unfortunately), but if I had access, I'd give them a try, too.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I usually just eat lunch and dinner...if my protein is low I'll have a protein shake between the two...if I workout late at night then I have a snack (yogurt or cottage cheese) after working out...
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't often snack, but if I do it things like macadamia nuts(measured portion, because I will over eat them), hard boiled egg, green olives, cheese wrapped with salami or ham. I use pork rinds as chips and have them with guacamole, or any other compliant dip I may make. I saw where you can bake pepperoni slices to use as dippers too, I want to try it with a pizza dip I make, would be the perfect combo!!
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Grazer/snacker. Vega One choc/greens shake, Adkins peanut butter bar, 1/3 cup peanuts/dry roasted nuts, Quest bar, sliced peppers/cucumbers, kolbassa...lots of snack foods that are easy to prepare/store and taste great.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I tend to IF so i dont eat till 11am most days. But then my "lunch" tends to be spread out over a few hours. Couple eggs at 11, cheese and meat rollups at 1230, avocado and yogurt at 145.... I'll eat dinner with the family around 6 and then thats usually it for the day. I think each person finds what works for their body and preferred eating patrerns. I know two people at work who only eat one massive meal (one regularly consumes 1500 calories in one sitting) and that's what works for them.
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks all some great ideas, I'm craving sweet stuff at the mo too don't know where that's come from as I've been good with cutting the sugar out. May try some berries and yogurt (not a fan but will try it )
    @PaulaJSchiller I've tried the pepperoni chips and they are good (if I don't burn them) they are my goto for lunch if I'm out for the day
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Parmesan crisps (I make them in the oven) with cream cheese is a good snack. Devilled eggs is what I've been snacking on this week. Also pork rinds. :)
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I'll snack if I'm hungry between meals. I have an assortment of low-carb options I keep in the house, depending on what I'm craving.

My go-to is hot salami and black olives, both are a pretty good source of fat and sodium, with the salami also providing protein of course.
    I also have some cheese if I need a little more calories than the salami and olives provide.
    If I'm craving something crunchy, I have pistachios.
    And for sweets, I have some low-carb dark chocolate, that's quite good in moderation.
  • megdnoorman
    megdnoorman Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker. I want to try IF, but I have a hard time with it. My go-to snacks are walnuts/almonds drizzled in olive oil, hard boiled eggs, sharp cheddar, bacon, sausage, chia pudding, raspberries/blueberries, pickles, or leftovers from dinner the night before (normally chopped up chicken, steak or pork). I try to keep my snack portions very small. And lately, I have been really questioning myself whenever I crave a snack. It's hard for me to determine whether I'm hungry or just bored or stress eating. Thankfully, I am pretty active so I don't tend to have too many problems with my calorie goals.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I plan snacks into my day, usually around 100 calories or so.

- turkey pepperoni spread and Laughing Cow (I make little 'sandwiches' out of them)
    - deli turkey/string cheese or ham/cream cheese/pickle roll-ups
    - 2 deviled egg halves
    - a few shrimp with cocktail sauce (I make my own with reduced sugar ketchup)
    - cottage cheese with some SF jelly and/or cocoa powdered mixed in
    - jerky
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I need to bring shrimp w/cocktail sauce to work as a snack, just to see the looks my coworkers give me.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I mostly stick to 3 meals with no snacks right now. Sometimes about 4 PM, I decide I am hungry and will have an ounce of peanuts. I have some that are 1 net carb, and it gives you some fat and a little protein for the stomach to work on.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I need to bring shrimp w/cocktail sauce to work as a snack, just to see the looks my coworkers give me.

Hmm. Seems like a no-brainer ...

Do they eat their shrimp with "French" dressing, "miracle" whip, "personal" lubricant, or maybe..motor oil?