pears734 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Exercise? Yes m; 52 minutes of strength training and a 30 minute run
    Tracking? Yes
    Calories? Yes
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    I always want to elaborate on exercise because that is the fun part of my life.
    MFP sees it recorded as a leisurely bike riding less than 10 mph. Heh, shows my average speed being 5.8 mph for 2h17m. MFP sees that and says nice leisurely ride there grandpa. But MFP don't see that is a 2000 foot climb in there. There is youngsters that can climb that at 10 mph and I know who they are. Heh, 2000 feet is the vertical dimension of a ski area. So that is me climbing the ski area instead of taking the lift. @fitqueenbess knows what that entails.
    @bocasdelbobdog Have you tried using MapMyRide (it's a companion to MFP). It also maps altitude and will report work to MFP just by syncing workout. It should be MUCH closer to calorie count that manual add of exercise.

2000ft climb is impressive. I know what a 1000ft climb by foot is like through my walking (I live next to some reasonable hills). I struggle to imagine doing it twice in a row.
    ynkzlq1xcm7b.png
    (the graph is a direct output from MapMyWalk)

Look forward to seeing you here in UAC more often.
  • RangerRickL
    RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @bocasdelbobdog You can set up your own custom exercises in MFP. Since you have your own tracking system, you can create "Climbing High and Fast' and put in your own exercise per minute for that hypothetical exercise. I created two custom exercises for my own activities: "Horseback riding casual' and "Horseback riding active". I give only 4 calorie/minute to casual but based on my heart monitor, I should allocate 10 calorie/minute active.
    BTW: it looks like you and @craigo3154 from Australia will enjoy each other's statistics. Craig, Bob lives in New Mexico and is a mountain biking wonder. His ability to maintain a 90% MHR for long periods of time makes his a superman.
  • bocasdelbobdog
    bocasdelbobdog Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    @rangerrickl, @craigo3154.
    I get a bit of disparity between heart rate monitors. I liked my old Sportline the best for the calories it would pay me. It would give me like 13 per minute when I would run my heart upwards of 90%. So that is kind of my heavy effort baseline approximation. When I climb for 90 minutes I don't really run that hot. After 90 min of climb I descend for 30. I earn some points for descent but really it just lowers the whole average.
    Garmin Connect (Vivoactive) apparently has different algorithm for calorie computation just by virtue of elevation change vs. wearing the heart strap. Wearing the strap I get way less so I can't drink that Foster's beer.
    But when I go to Orange Theory gym and wear their strap I get paid a lot of calories, more than I ever got from Sportline for running averages above 90% for an hour.
    And that Orange Theory is kind of a crossfit so it ain't pure cardio like an hour of hard spin.
    According to them I get between 800 and 900 for an hour of crossfit. I usually manage to fold 30 or so minutes of hard spin into that.
    But the more I look at it the more permuted it gets.
    I think I might just go by 10 cal minutes and figure that for climb at 80 or 85% and descent that isn't really even cardio averaged in.
    All that wrangling Just to have numbers because I am obsessive that way. If I gain weight I will adjust it or examine my intake honesty.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    @bocasdelbobdog I find heart rate monitors and exercise machine equipment ridiculously inaccurate at estimating calories used.

To do it properly you need to know your VO2max and monitor all atmosphere entering and exiting the lungs. This way you can determine the amount of calories converted to energy by the O2 in vs the CO2 out ratios. Everything else is almost pure guesswork (as there is no practical no way to measure the "efficiency" of the work performed).

Even MapMyWalk, MapMyRun, MapMyRide are not ideal. Even though they measure distance and altitude, they cannot measure efficiency. (I don't keep my profile weight, waistline and resting heart rate up to date on MapMyWalk).

This is my today's walk.
    mgo7nz6x0300.png
    (min altitude 250m - max altitude 407m) - only half an Eiffel Tower :)

If you obsess on the numbers in the weight management game you wind up going in circles and getting nowhere.

I do not eat back exercise calories simply because they are too inaccurate. Unless you train excessively hard (think professional athlete), the TDEE base calculations are usually close enough and factor in a certain level of activity.

If you want to eat back exercise calories, calculate your base as "Sedentary lifestyle" or "Light Exercise" if your work has you on your feet a lot (waiter, serving staff, concierge, foot/bike courier, ect...). This way the calculated base does not include your exercise activity.

Calculated base TDEE is only a guide. Personal history data vs weight data over a couple of months is by far the best guide.